Urology research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS3 with significant interest in Urology. Before med school did graduate work in nephrology with pubs. Other pubs from college related to genetics.

Maybe a stupid question: Now half-way through MS3 year, how important is it to engage in Urology research given the time crunch before registering for the AUA match at the beginning of MS4 year? Is it expected? Started med school a few years out of college and not really interested in doing a fifth year.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, it depends on the relative strength of your application. If you have solid board scores and good grades, you probably don't need to do anything other than a few away rotations. If you are applying with below average statistics, some urology research can go a long way to get interviews and eventually a position. A fifth year should not be necessary, and should in fact be avoided.

Honestly, it depends on the relative strength of your application. If you have solid board scores and good grades, you probably don't need to do anything other than a few away rotations. If you are applying with below average statistics, some urology research can go a long way to get interviews and eventually a position. A fifth year should not be necessary, and should in fact be avoided.

Any reason why it should be avoided? Do programs look down on the research year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any reason why it should be avoided? Do programs look down on the research year?

It should be avoided because there is no reason for it. If you can find a spot which pays well (unlikely), and you are really into research, then go for it. But otherwise it will be an expensive delay to your career with no real benefit. If you have very low board scores or subpar grades or are not a graduate from a US allopathic school, drastic measures may be required. Otherwise do what research you can in free time/research electives and apply.

Any advice on how to start doin research as a third year? Should I just randomly email attendings asking if they have any research projects in mind that I could work on? Should I bother emailing residents?

Any advice on how to start doin research as a third year? Should I just randomly email attendings asking if they have any research projects in mind that I could work on? Should I bother emailing residents?

Don't bother emailing residents. Set up a meeting with the chairman or program director to discuss your interest in the field. During your meeting bring up your interest in research. They will hook you up.