Urology vs. Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcat85

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm an MS-III trying to start to make a final decision on a specialty. I had been leaning towards anesthesia for some time, but I've been in urology the last couple of weeks and enjoyed it enough to significantly consider it. I'm just looking for some input. Is everyone here fairly happy with their specialty choice? Would you do it again if you could start over? What don't you like about it? I'm not entirely sure how to start, but any advice either way would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just ask yourself if you want to be a surgeon or not. The two fields are very different. If you have been thinking of Anesthesiology for a while, do a rotation in it and compare it to your Urology rotation. I also had been thinking about Anesthesiology for a while, but now as a third year, getting first hand experience in actually clinical medicine... I am leaning towards Surgery.

Do you know that feeling when you're in surgery and you look across the curtain (either way)? Do you ever wish you were on the other side? Do that specialty. While I liked my anesthesia rotation, I just kept watching the surgeons and was more interested in that.

Do you know that feeling when you're in surgery and you look across the curtain (either way)? Do you ever wish you were on the other side? Do that specialty. While I liked my anesthesia rotation, I just kept watching the surgeons and was more interested in that.

Do you want to be on call more days than not? When it's 3pm and you've been in the OR since 7:30, do you want someone to come in and take over for you or do you want to finish out that case and then do the add on case to follow?

These are the big things. As a urology resident you take way more call than an anesthesia resident. Sure, an anesthesia resident may be doing cases all night long, but they only take 3-4 calls per month. With uro, you'll be taking a lot of call, working the 5pm stone case because you're the boy, and doing it all over again the next day.

But, in the end you got to decide what you like. Lifestyle as a resident wasn't a priority. Urology lifestyle as a staff is pretty nice.