Urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meridian

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm premed and i wanted to know how much a urology residency is desired. I hear getting a urology spot is pretty competitive... can anyone confirm this? Also, which year does a uro resident put in the most # of hours? by that i guess i mean which year is the most gruesome...and WHAT is up with urologists being so laid back (ok you don't have to answer the last question)

Members don't see this ad.

Urology is very competitive. About 30% of the U.S. seniors that applied did not match in 2003. You can see the match statistics at the American Urological Association website.

As far as which year is the worst, I suppose that would depend on the specific program. Of the urology residents I have spoken to (all at the same program) they all agree that the first year of general surgery was the most grueling.

Urology has gotten extremely competitive. I think the field has alot of people matching in it who ten years ago would have gone into gen surg. There are only 236 slots in the country, and that number is not going to increase a much (if any) in the foreseeable future. The gen surg years in a urology residency are almost invariably regarded as the most difficult/most hours. If you are premed and interested in urology, just make sure you get into a solid allopathic school. I didn't see anyone on 16 interviews who came from a foreign or osteopathic institution, and none of the residents at those programs were either.

thanks mpp and fireaway!

I have a friend who is a urologist with both MD and DO behind his names. His story was that he went to med sch in Mexico. He really wanted to go into Urology and knew that he had little chance. So he went back for his DO and did an osteopathic urology residency. He is among the best urologists I know.