US Army Physician Indicted for Trying to Give Medical Information on Military Leaders to Russia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Idk why they didn’t charge under espionage act and for treason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk why they didn’t charge under espionage act and for treason.
Because the information is not covered under any espionage statute and treason is specifically defined in the Constitution - and this ain't that.

Wow, it's like we're back in the 1950s!

Full disclosure: I wasn't alive in the 50's

Not an ideal side gig

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Because the information is not covered under any espionage statute and treason is specifically defined in the Constitution - and this ain't that.
Giving information about government officials to a hostile foreign government isn’t treason?
Committing espionage for a foreign power for the purpose of aid and comfort seems to be the textbook definition of treason.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
they watched too much of the The Americans tv show

Reactions: 1 user
Giving information about government officials to a hostile foreign government isn’t treason?
Committing espionage for a foreign power for the purpose of aid and comfort seems to be the textbook definition of treason.
Nope.

Read the Constitution.

Article III, Section 3, “Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort.”

The Supreme Court has held that a country is an “enemy” for the purposes of this provision only if a declared war exists.

Nope.

Read the Constitution.

The Supreme Court has held that a country is an “enemy” for the purposes of this provision only if a declared war exists.

How about light treason?

Reactions: 4 users
Nope.

Read the Constitution.

“The Espionage Act of 1917 prohibited obtaining information, recording pictures, or copying descriptions of any information relating to the national defense with intent or reason to believe that the information may be used for the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation.”

Sounds applicable.
One of the two suspects will also be subject to the military courts in addition to civilian courts. Hope they spend the rest of their life in leavenworth. Or do what we did to the rosenburgs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How does this even remotely apply to EM? The only reason I ask is that mods have closed threads that are not EM-related, and this thread was posted by a mod, at that.
Clearly it is a national EMergency

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
can i just volunteer my medical information to Russia for $$$ ? Maybe they’ll pay me a couple grand for it. Im sure they’d love to know that i had a needle stick 4 years ago and a borderline A1C this year 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
How does this even remotely apply to EM? The only reason I ask is that mods have closed threads that are not EM-related, and this thread was posted by a mod, at that.

Southerndoc just recognizes that the EM forum is where all the cool kids are and preferred to post it in the best sub forum.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
There are occasional topics which do not directly address emergency medicine, but which are posted here by and for members of the SDN EM community. In general, that's kosher. Closing of non-EM related threads is generally reserved for topics which:
- Are better served elsewhere on SDN
- Are better served on 4chan
- Turn into an argument between parties with diametrically opposed viewpoints who are obsessed with having the last word.

There are occasional topics which do not directly address emergency medicine, but which are posted here by and for members of the SDN EM community. In general, that's kosher. Closing of non-EM related threads is generally reserved for topics which:
- Turn into an argument between parties with diametrically opposed viewpoints who are obsessed with having the last word.

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
But this is better than 4chan when parties with diametrically opposed viewpoints are bent on having the last word.

That sounds, to me, at least, like a non-answer.

And this one, pretty clearly (again, to me), is better served elsewhere on SDN. I mean, if there was EVER something that was "off topic", this is it. And, there happens to be such a forum...

And this one, pretty clearly (again, to me), is better served elsewhere on SDN. I mean, if there was EVER something that was "off topic", this is it. And, there happens to be such a forum...

I’m going to get my popcorn and wait to see if you can get one moderator to block the post of another moderator.

🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

Eh, they let me have my Classic Arcade Gaming and Grunge Rock threads. This one slides.

Sorry if my rationale seems unclear. I suspect at the end of the day there will always be a subjective component as moderating is largely a discretionary exercise. I try to steer away from draconian policies as I personally prefer a more laissez-faire environment, but that obviously can make things more challenging as a user as there isn't necessarily a hard and fast rulebook that applies in all scenarios.

This thread has produced a lively discussion amongst the members of the EM community. I see threads like this as being something which one pit doc might bring up with another while on shift. Rusted's aforementioned threads are similar. Birdstrike and genius have their ongoing deadhead thread. Longstanding community members get a certain leeway when posting. Some unknown user posting something entirely off topic likely would not. The hammer gets dropped when fights break out or things get overly political/heated/whatever. Hopefully that helps clarify my approach. I'm happy to discuss this further if I haven't adequately answered your question or if you have specific concerns about this thread in particular.

“The Espionage Act of 1917 prohibited obtaining information, recording pictures, or copying descriptions of any information relating to the national defense with intent or reason to believe that the information may be used for the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation.”

Sounds applicable.
One of the two suspects will also be subject to the military courts in addition to civilian courts. Hope they spend the rest of their life in leavenworth. Or do what we did to the rosenburgs.

First legal lesson of the month: The words in a statute do not mean what they say, they mean what the courts say they mean.

In particular, the Espionage Statute, as written, would be void as unconstitutionally vague. For example, under the text of the statute, the weather report on the local news would be a violation of the statute as written. That is why the courts (and the Justice Department's internal guidelines) limit the application of the statute.

Seriously - have you read any of the other forums? It's the hyperspace of lame.
This, but unironically.

Threads like this would be perfect for a sub-forum of physicians in all specialties. As it stands though, no such forum exists*, so it must go in one of the specialty-specific sub-forums, and most of them suck.

* I’m aware there is a forum for “verified” physicians, but I have 0 interest in sending my ID to mods/admins. Anonymity is the main reason this place is worthwhile.

Part of what makes this forum decent is being able to chat with the forum members about topics that aren’t strictly EM; yes I could go to some off-topic forum land to do so, but will I see THIS collection of dinguses at that watering hole? Probably not.

Clearly can’t clog this place up with 13087 new threads a day about underwater basket weaving, but a certain minority of threads occasionally posted about tangentially EM related things or hobby/life is something I enjoy.

Part of what makes this forum decent is being able to chat with the forum members about topics that aren’t strictly EM; yes I could go to some off-topic forum land to do so, but will I see THIS collection of dinguses at that watering hole? Probably not.

Clearly can’t clog this place up with 13087 new threads a day about underwater basket weaving, but a certain minority of threads occasionally posted about tangentially EM related things or hobby/life is something I enjoy.
Also I did NOT use the term Dinguses. Feel free to guess a different term of endearment…. I should make a thread about that.

This, but unironically.

Threads like this would be perfect for a sub-forum of physicians in all specialties. As it stands though, no such forum exists*, so it must go in one of the specialty-specific sub-forums, and most of them suck.

* I’m aware there is a forum for “verified” physicians, but I have 0 interest in sending my ID to mods/admins. Anonymity is the main reason this place is worthwhile.
If it helps, we have to sign a pretty strict NDA to join staff.