US/Canadian school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doppler1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am applying for med school this June and could really use some advice on my school list! I’m a non traditional applicant at 27 years old, Caucasian female California resident and dual US/Canadian citizen. I applied in 2016 for MD/PhD programs and I got two IIs and was waitlisted at U Maryland but never got the call. I believe my research background carried me through but ultimately my clinical experience was what prevented my acceptance, so I’ve tried to work on that.

Undergrad: UC San Diego (Physics) 3.4 cumulative with an upward trend.

MCAT: 513 balanced 128/128/129/128 Debating retaking this as my gpa is not ideal.

Postbac: IRTA at NIH last year

Grad: Currently finishing my first year of a two year research master’s in biomechanical engineering in Canada, doing a thesis related to trauma medicine. Grades are all A+’s but only have 3 classes so far.

Research experience:
1000+ hours in two neuroscience labs, plus what I’m doing for my master’s. I have 2 posters, 1 conference presentation, and 2 publications.

Clinical volunteering: 300+ hours hospital volunteering in a surgical ward. I visit patients and give them some social support and help at meal times. I also volunteered in San Diego in the emergency room as a research associate, but don't have any cool stories from it.

Non-clinical volunteering: 200 hrs (so far) as a community advocate for the local medium security men’s prison. I basically act as an advocate for the inmates and listen to their concerns about the institution and their treatment. I meet with the warden monthly to go over things and offer suggestions etc. I also am responsible to report any human rights violations and am called on scene whenever a riot or death happens. I'm also a foster volunteer for the SPCA. I've worked as a foster in all three cities I've lived in and have taken care of 15 neonatal kittens and 10 puppies.

Extra curriculars: I work part-time in a clinical simulation center at the med school here running resuscitation rounds, obstetrics simulations, trauma sims, and OSCEs. I control a manikin vitals and provide the patient’s voice. This has been by far one of the most valuable experiences for me in my path to medicine. I also sing in the chorus on campus and am on the board of a graduate club for students who want to learn basic business skills (popular with the med students). I also started a STEM club at my community college.

I have many other extracurriculars, scholarships, and awards from undergrad but I’m trying to focus on my more recent accomplishments.

Shadowing: 20 hours of clinic/OR shadowing an ENT physician. Working on getting some rural medicine shadowing experience as this field really interesting to me.

I’d like to apply broadly to the US and some Ontario schools although I realize Canada is a stretch with my stats. I’m also going to throw some DO schools in the mix.

My current school list:

UCLA

UCSF

UCD

USC

Queen’s

U Toronto

McMaster

U Ottawa

Western

George Washington

U Maryland

NYMC

Quinnipiac

Albany

Rosalind Franklin

Medical college of Wisconsin

Rochester

St. Louis

New York Upstate

Tufts

Tulane

Haven’t really researched any DO schools yet so could use some assistance there as well :)

Let me know if there are any schools you think might be worth adding or subtracting. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: