Reapplicant feeling lost- Caribbean as a back up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A lot of brutal honesty in this thread. Can you scale back your work hours to dedicate time to studying for the MCAT? Seems most responders agree that a stellar score would help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How did you ace all of your prereqs but fail to break 500 on three MCAT attempts?

Why are you not afraid of failing out of med school, where you will have many exams as hard or harder than the MCAT, which you essentially failed?

Reactions: 1 users
I don't really know of any DO schools that would entertain a 3rd attempt 495 MCAT other than VCOM and maybe some of the new rural schools.

Several do. I have a friend that has a 22 as their highest MCAT after 3 takes, and nailed a DO school with an average of 28.

The reason you don't hear about it much is people these people that get accepted under these conditions don't openly share that they had a 25% percentile MCAT acceptance lol. But it does happen, especially if you fit the schools mission. Its risky to apply under these conditions, but it happens.

The OP in this thread sounds arrogant though, being "too good for the DO degree". Yet risky everything for a much less prestigious overseas MD degree, with the added fact the Caribbeans are terrible anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please give me solid advice. I am not looking to be ridiculed about my scores or thoughts about attending SGU.

I'm not going to ridicule your scores. Many people have improved over time. A 490 to 495 is a decent leap. But you should aim for 500+.

What I am going ridicule you about is your choice of going to a Caribbean school. Thats just downright foolish. There are no shortcuts, you will pay for your decision to go to the Caribbeans. Then you will wish you spent a year studying for the MCAT and applying DO.

Reactions: 5 users
Several do. I have a friend that has a 22 as their highest MCAT after 3 takes, and nailed a DO school with an average of 28.

The reason you don't hear about it much is people these people that get accepted under these conditions don't openly share that they had a 25% percentile MCAT acceptance lol. But it does happen, especially if you fit the schools mission. Its risky to apply under these conditions, but it happens.

The OP in this thread sounds arrogant though, being "too good for the DO degree". Yet risky everything for a much less prestigious overseas MD degree, with the added fact the Caribbeans are terrible anyway.

Yea, dunno what OP has against being a DO but I gota say, my classmates are BRILLIANT at alleviating back pain and I also got some SD in my leg treated. It works, bruh. I'm so excited that the muscle-crampy pain is gone! 10/10

can OP just go to DO school first, and once he gets his license; he can pay for some online class in Caribean and get that MD degree. Then he gets to introduce himself as MD instead of DO?

• Haha
can OP just go to DO school first, and once he gets his license; he can pay for some online class in Caribean and get that MD degree. Then he gets to introduce himself as MD instead of DO?
Haha. That won't work for residency, but it might get you two different letters down on your lab coat.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not going to ridicule your scores. Many people have improved over time. A 490 to 495 is a decent leap. But you should aim for 500+.

What I am going ridicule you about is your choice of going to a Caribbean school. Thats just downright foolish. There are no shortcuts, you will pay for your decision to go to the Caribbeans. Then you will wish you spent a year studying for the MCAT and applying DO.
It's worth adding that simply by looking at the PD's survey, that DOs are more likely to be interviewed and ranked overall, and IMGs are more likely to be rejected outright at programs. Yes, there are residencies that favor MDs over DO, but and vice versa, but the ones that look at both favor DOs.

I know I will become a great doctor- I just need to get into school. I am not interested in going to a DO program, I am not interested in PA or NP.

I’m looking for advice on how to improve from here, so yes my end goal is to become a doctor.

Interesting. Because it sounds like your goal is not to become a physician (the profession), but rather to become an MD (the letters). And if that goal is not already permanently out of reach, it soon will be.

There's a test-prep company that advertises here (do a search) that guarantees it can get your MCAT score into the 90th%. I can't imagine they're cheap, but for someone in your situation who's unwilling to consider DO, it's about the only suggestion I have. That, plus a year or more's time so you can more convincingly claim to no longer be as impulsive as you clearly were...

Or go Caribbean and get your precious letters but forego the profession -- because that's very likely what would happen.

A lot of brutal honesty in this thread. Can you scale back your work hours to dedicate time to studying for the MCAT? Seems most responders agree that a stellar score would help.

40 hours of working shouldn't hinder MCAT studying that much. You could almost spend 40 hours a week studying even by working full-time.

40 hours of working shouldn't hinder MCAT studying that much. You could almost spend 40 hours a week studying even by working full-time.

But then it's like, if he makes it to MS-2, how much times/prep does he need for Step 1 if he takes this long to prep for the MCAT (which is not even on the same difficulty scale as Step 1 because it's not even on the same difficulty scale as my regular class tests)?

Honest question - have you worked a "real" (I.E - not some temporary gap job that you pay no credence to) full-time job while preparing for med school apps? It's not as simple as 40 hours at work, 40 hours of studying. In reality, it's more like this:

7 am - wake up and get ready for work
8 am - 5:30/6 pm - work and arrive home
6 pm - 6:30 pm - undress, unwind for a few minutes
6:30 - 8:00 pm - prepare dinner, eat, catch up with your family, reply to inevitable work emails, relax for a few minutes

Now it's 8 pm, you're tired from a long day of work, someone from the office is probably bugging you with emails, and you have a good ~2 hrs to study before you should start getting ready for bed. Not only that, but it's 2 hours of diminished studying because you're already mentally fatigued from work and have other crap on your mind.

People always gloss over the actual minutes spent commuting, eating, preparing food, etc. They really add up. It's not like you work until 5 pm and then have from 5-10 pm to study. It's really, really hard to carry on a legitimate full-time job while giving the MCAT the attention it deserves. I did that while also trying to maintain family time, continue my volunteer efforts, and live a life outside of work and studying. It's not impossible, but it's disingenuous to gloss over a full-time job as if it barely impacts your ability to study.

Reactions: 10 users
Honest question - have you worked a "real" (I.E - not some temporary gap job that you pay no credence to) full-time job while preparing for med school apps? It's not as simple as 40 hours at work, 40 hours of studying. In reality, it's more like this:

6:30 - 8:00 pm - prepare dinner, eat, catch up with your family, reply to inevitable work emails, relax for a few minutes

Now it's 8 pm, you're tired from a long day of work, someone from the office is probably bugging you with emails, and you have a good ~2 hrs to study before you should start getting ready for bed. Not only that, but it's 2 hours of diminished studying because you're already mentally fatigued from work and have other crap on your mind.

People always gloss over the actual minutes spent commuting, eating, preparing food, etc. They really add up. It's not like you work until 5 pm and then have from 5-10 pm to study. It's really, really hard to carry on a legitimate full-time job while giving the MCAT the attention it deserves. I did that while also trying to maintain family time, continue my volunteer efforts, and live a life outside of work and studying. It's not impossible, but it's disingenuous to gloss over a full-time job as if it barely impacts your ability to study.
I have been working a full time office job for the past 7 years and I agree with you 100%. Although I will say I am thankful for working full time through undergrad, postbac, MCAT and the application process because I feel it gives me a bit of a preview for the time devotion that med school will take.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Apples to oranges here, but I'm guessing its not worse than studying for the MCAT during chemistry graduate school.

I left at 6-7 am and came back to my place at 1-2 am. If you have leisure time during a typical week, you're doing it wrong.

Last edited:

Well said.

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile

Why even bother replying to him? He is either trolling, or so out of touch with reality that it's better to ignore him all together.

Apples to oranges here, but I'm guessing its not worse than studying for the MCAT during chemistry graduate school.

I left at 6-7 am and came back to my place at 1-2 am. If you have leisure time during a typical week, you're doing it wrong.
How miserable are you?

Why even bother replying to him? He is either trolling, or so out of touch with reality that it's better to ignore him all together.

Very true.

Last edited:
By 2020, the residency programs for DOs and MDs will be merging so really no matter which school you attend, you are applying to the same residencies. I'm not sure why you are adamant against applying to DO schools, but I would highly recommend you reconsider it. It is safer, location wise, than SGU. And they have a higher match rate. I would recommend considering applying to a few DO schools instead.

Good point. Studying for the MCAT, like most things in life, requires a sacrifice. Sure, you'll have to sacrifice your time watching Netflix, hanging with friends, or something else you enjoy. But remember the context: it is a small sacrifice for a longterm gain. If you are serious about medical school and becoming a doctor, you really need to train yourself to have the discipline for such sacrifice. Your Step studying will require you to sacrifice so much of your free time while you are a med student, making pretty much all of your time dedicate to studying. So really at this point, it is a question of whether you are dedicated. If you are dedicated, realize you'll have to shed some of the short-term pleasures like Netflix or whatever you do with your free time. I just reference Netflix because I know that's where a lot of us spend our free time!

Not to be overly harsh but some people are incapable of scoring highly on the MCAT no matter what they do. After a 9 month prep period with an expensive program you still scored the same. Sorry to say, but you just might be one of those people who can't score well on the MCAT in which case maybe medicine isn't for you.

Not to be overly harsh but some people are incapable of scoring highly on the MCAT no matter what they do. After a 9 month prep period with an expensive program you still scored the same. Sorry to say, but you just might be one of those people who can't score well on the MCAT in which case maybe medicine isn't for you.

I disagree that some people are unable to score well on the MCAT no matter what they do.

OP has just done the wrong things.

People do crazy things on the MCAT. Some score 503 on the first try, and then 493 the second. Some score 500 3 times in a row, and then score 515 the 4th time.

Long story short, there are many factors involved with MCAT scores, including being exhausted during the day of taking it, or just being unlucky with the content on the test that day.

I don't buy for a second that someone with a good GPA just can't do well on the MCAT, no matter what.

I respect your opinion, but 100% disagree. I've never heard of anyone jumping that high and if it has happened, it's gotta be a 1/1000 occurrence.

No one should take a 4th sitting of the MCAT expecting to receive a score of 510+ after scoring abysmally 3 times previously unless they had not prepared at all the previous two times. OP had. OP took a prep course and showed no improvement. OP has some weird unfounded arrogance about needing to go MD. He needs a 510+ for MD given his past applications. A marginal improvement to 500 will not Garner him an admit.

Sure it's possible, but highly unlikely. OP stands a chance at DO if he gets off his high horse, but MD is a pipe dream.
I disagree that some people are unable to score well on the MCAT no matter what they do.

OP has just done the wrong things.

People do crazy things on the MCAT. Some score 503 on the first try, and then 493 the second. Some score 500 3 times in a row, and then score 515 the 4th time.

Long story short, there are many factors involved with MCAT scores, including being exhausted during the day of taking it, or just being unlucky with the content on the test that day.

I don't buy for a second that someone with a good GPA just can't do well on the MCAT, no matter what.

I respect your opinion, but 100% disagree. I've never heard of anyone jumping that high and if it has happened, it's gotta be a 1/1000 occurrence.

No one should take a 4th sitting of the MCAT expecting to receive a score of 510+ after scoring abysmally 3 times previously unless they had not prepared at all the previous two times. OP had. OP took a prep course and showed no improvement. OP has some weird unfounded arrogance about needing to go MD. He needs a 510+ for MD given his past applications. A marginal improvement to 500 will not Garner him an admit.

Sure it's possible, but highly unlikely. OP stands a chance at DO if he gets off his high horse, but MD is a pipe dream.

1/1000 sounds like a highly exaggerated number. It might be unlikely that someone scores 510 after scoring 500 a few times, but it happens here and there.

I've seen someone who took a prep course and scored a similar attempt as their original score, and then take it a few weeks later and blow it out of the water. I even know a med school friend of mine who took a prep course, did terrible on the first MCAT, and then DIDN'T study for the second MCAT a few months later and did great.

I agree the OP is arrogant and needs to stop thinking his 4.0 GPA should allocate him some special spot in an MD school, without actually deserving it.

I actually think his arrogance may be a factor why he is scoring a little low to be honest.

I think OP can make MD with substantial improvement with MCAT tests, but honestly his condescending attitude towards DO school is ridiculous given his circumstances.

1/1000 sounds like a highly exaggerated number. It might be unlikely that someone scores 510 after scoring 500 a few times, but it happens here and there.

I've seen someone who took a prep course and scored a similar attempt as their original score, and then take it a few weeks later and blow it out of the water. I even know a med school friend of mine who took a prep course, did terrible on the first MCAT, and then DIDN'T study for the second MCAT a few months later and did great.

I agree the OP is arrogant and needs to stop thinking his 4.0 GPA should allocate him some special spot in an MD school, without actually deserving it.

I actually think his arrogance may be a factor why he is scoring a little low to be honest.

I think OP can make MD with substantial improvement with MCAT tests, but honestly his condescending attitude towards DO school is ridiculous given his circumstances.
I'm sure it happens here and there but anecdotes aren't the true picture of these things. Their outcomes are the outliers not the rule. Also, OP is not someone who lines up with the anecdotes you have either. Given OPs statements, I stand by my assessment that it appears he's not someone who is capable of scoring 510+. He's tried, he's struck out. Repeatedly

Also, sorry to be harsh once again, but a 495 is a very poor score. So is a 500. We're not talking about someone who scored a 505-510 turning up his nose at DO schools here. We're talking about someone whose real MCAT sittings produced scores that are the equivalent of most high scorers baseline scores (if that). You can't score that poorly and think you have an MD acceptance in the bag if you just "try harder." There are real barriers here that aren't likely to be overcome by just trying harder.

The issue with scoring so badly on the MCAT really comes down to how much of a risk you are as a med student. From here on out, we face standardized test after standardized test. If it takes someone that much effort to score at the bottom for the MCAT, they're going to have trouble on step. As someone who scored well on the MCAT whose now in MD medical school starting to get serious about board prep,I can vouch for those who say the MCAT is much easier than boards. It's nice to think that schools will reward perseverance, passion and all that, but when it comes down to it, there's too much competition with students who aren't struggling with the MCAT for that to matter. These are harsh truths but it does no one any favors to pretend like they don't exist

Last edited:
I'm sure it happens here and there but anecdotes aren't the true picture of these things. Their outcomes are the outliers not the rule. Also, OP is not someone who lines up with the anecdotes you have either. Given OPs statements, I stand by my assessment that it appears he's not someone who is capable of scoring 510+. He's tried, he's struck out. Repeatedly

Also, sorry to be harsh once again, but a 495 is a very poor score. So is a 500. We're not talking about someone who scored a 505-510 turning up his nose at MD schools here. We're talking about someone whose real MCAT sittings produced scores that are the equivalent of most high scorers baseline scores (if that). You can't score that poorly and think you have an MD acceptance in the bag if you just "try harder." There are real barriers here that aren't likely to be overcome by just trying harder.

The issue with scoring so badly on the MCAT really comes down to how much of a risk you are as a med student. From here on out, we face standardized test after standardized test. If it takes someone that much effort to score at the bottom for the MCAT, they're going to have trouble on step. As someone who scored well on the MCAT whose now in MD medical school starting to get serious about board prep,I can vouch for those who say the MCAT is much easier than boards. It's nice to think that schools will reward perseverance, passion and all that, but when it comes down to it, there's too much competition with students who aren't struggling with the MCAT for that to matter. These are harsh truths but it does no one any favors to pretend like they don't exist

1.) I believe OP is able to score 510, he just doesn't know how to take the MCAT yet. I don't think its an impossible, or even improbably barrier, if he figures out whatever his weakness is.

2.) MCAT scores almost don't even matter past 498, as after this score you're in a perfectly fine position to pass boards and aren't deemed too much a risk to pass boards (maybe more specifically to DO schools). Even MD schools occasionally accept 24-25 MCAT scores about 1/5th of the time when the applicant has a 3.8-4.0 GPA (well, this was a few years ago, I don't know if this stat has changed much since then).

3.) Theres just way too many people I know that have taken the MCAT several times, scored subpar, and did perfectly fine on the boards for me to agree that there is some significant struggle there.

4.) Someone with 9 MCATs got accepted to a DO school before (before 7 was the limit), so to be honest, ADCOMs do strange things all the time when it comes to accepting students. I'm not saying this isn't an exception, but rather a reality that we can't always give definitive answers to these situations.

There was a big podcast about this guy, you can probably google it even!

So yes, I do think perseverance pays off. But that perseverance SHOULD show the scores med schools are looking for at one point. 7 MCATS of less than 500 won't work.
But will 5 MCATs where your last one is 510 work? Maybe.

1.) I believe OP is able to score 510, he just doesn't know how to take the MCAT yet. I don't think its an impossible, or even improbably barrier, if he figures out whatever his weakness is.

2.) MCAT scores almost don't even matter past 498, as after this score you're in a perfectly fine position to pass boards and aren't deemed too much a risk to pass boards (maybe more specifically to DO schools). Even MD schools occasionally accept 24-25 MCAT scores about 1/5th of the time when the applicant has a 3.8-4.0 GPA (well, this was a few years ago, I don't know if this stat has changed much since then).

3.) Theres just way too many people I know that have taken the MCAT several times, scored subpar, and did perfectly fine on the boards for me to agree that there is some significant struggle there.

4.) Someone with 9 MCATs got accepted to a DO school before (before 7 was the limit), so to be honest, ADCOMs do strange things all the time when it comes to accepting students. I'm not saying this isn't an exception, but rather a reality that we can't always give definitive answers to these situations.

There was a big podcast about this guy, you can probably google it even!

So yes, I do think perseverance pays off. But that perseverance SHOULD show the scores med schools are looking for at one point. 7 MCATS of less than 500 won't work.
But will 5 MCATs where your last one is 510 work? Maybe.
Again, anecdotes are not the rule. They're the exceptions. All of your evidence is anecdotal. It's nice to think nothing is impossible but the reality is OP is very unlikely/near impossible to score a 510+ after three poor showings. Even if he did, it's an uphill battle explaining to med schools why it took four attempts. On top of that, his application will need to be stellar in all other ways and will require more than just a 4.0 to gain an MD admission after the three red flags.

For a realistic shot and if he's really serious about medicine, OP should apply DO or give up on medicine. The carribean isn't a viable option for anyone especially not someone with MCAT issues.

That said, sure anything is possible.

Again, anecdotes are not the rule. They're the exceptions. All of your evidence is anecdotal. It's nice to think nothing is impossible but the reality is OP is very unlikely/near impossible to score a 510+ after three poor showings. Even if he did, it's an uphill battle explaining to med schools why it took four attempts. On top of that, his application will need to be stellar in all other ways and will require more than just a 4.0 to gain an MD admission after the three red flags.

For a realistic shot and if he's really serious about medicine, OP should apply DO or give up on medicine. The carribean isn't a viable option for anyone especially not someone with MCAT issues.

That said, sure anything is possible.

Its true that what I said was anecdotal, but there isn't actual statistics available to us to know all the circumstances that actually do play out all the time. Its just there are so many of these cases that seem to break the rules, its almost as though exceptions are the rules.

DO is always an excellent option. Caribbean is not.

I've never known anyone that also had a good MCAT after failed retakes that didn't get accepted somewhere. So while anecdotal, I haven't heard of many people earn say, a 505 after 3 495s and not get into some DO school.

Its true that what I said was anecdotal, but there isn't actual statistics available to us to know all the circumstances that actually do play out all the time. Its just there are so many of these cases that seem to break the rules, its almost as though exceptions are the rules.

DO is always an excellent option. Caribbean is not.

I've never known anyone that also had a good MCAT after failed retakes that didn't get accepted somewhere. So while anecdotal, I haven't heard of many people earn say, a 505 after 3 495s and not get into some DO school.
Look,friend. I'm not trying to trigger you. If you are in a similar position to OP, please don't take my words to apply to you specifically

But for every one friend you have that this worked for, the reality is there are a dozen it didnt work for. The issue with anecdotes is we hear what we want to hear and disregard the rest. I wish you luck and I hope OP grows up enough to be honest with himself. And with that, I'm out.

Look,friend. I'm not trying to trigger you. If you are in a similar position to OP, please don't take my words to apply to you specifically

But for every one friend you have that this worked for, the reality is there are a dozen it didnt work for. The issue with anecdotes is we hear what we want to hear and disregard the rest. I wish you luck and I hope OP grows up enough to be honest with himself. And with that, I'm out.

I'm not in this situation. I've scored higher than the OP.

I disagree. All of my pre-med friends eventually made it into medical as long as they actively pursued to the career. I knew several people that took the MCAT once or twice, and never made it in. They stopped trying very easily. However, I've never had someone I've known get a good MCAT score at some point, and not get accepted.

Even worse, someone I know who couldnt BREAK 495 after 3 MCATS who got accepted to a DO school with an average MCAT of 504. He didn't quit working in a hospital, he didnt quit volunteering, and he didnt quit earning a masters degree. In fact, he earned 2 acceptances. Not only that, but the range from Ohio's DO school is 490-518. People somehow get in with a 490.

With all DO schools averaging a 502 MCAT score, then half of all DO applicants in the country have less than 502, and more than likey 30-40% have less than 500.

My point is this: If you keep trying, and eventually receive a good MCAT score, you will make it in sooner or later. Its just a lot messier of a path.

Last edited:
Hello hello,

This is my current situation:

Stats: GPA 4.0 over-all
MCAT: 1st time= 490, 2nd time= 495, took Kaplan Course then took 3rd time= 495
I have great LOR, have plenty of shadowing,research, volunteer, and health care related job experience. First time college graduate and aspiring physician from a rural, medically underserved town.

I applied to Texas and a few out of state school for the 2017 cycle between my junior and senior year. No interviews.
I am now in the midst of the 2018 cycle after just graduating in May 2017. I have applied to all state schools again, as Florida State, Wayne State, and Ohio State.
I haven't received any interview invitations, yet, and am feeling extremely discouraged.
I am considering applying to SGU. I just want a chance at my dreams. I know I can do it. I know I will become a great doctor- I just need to get into school. I am not interested in going to a DO program, I am not interested in PA or NP. This has been my dream for most of my life, and I will not change it. I have always been a great student. I graduated valedictorian then Sumama Cum Laude, and then screwed up my MCAT. I feel I know the material, just haven't learned to "take"and "beat" the test.

I feel I am just wasting my time working as a receptionist for a doctor's office. I hate my job position, and I feel I am just completely wasting my time, not learning, not advancing, and just being unhappy.

I work 40 hours a week at a job that is mentally draining and leaves me with no time to study, work-out, or enjoy personal activities.

WHAT SHOULD I DO.

I need to be working towards my dreams. I just want to start school soon, not wait to reatke my MCAT, reapply and start in 2019. I hate this. I went through many personal situations that I feel affected my ability to prepare the way I needed for my test.
Am I just out of luck here? Should I apply to SGU and get started on my dreams? I know it is an up-hill battle, but I know a handful of successful Carib doctors that are practicing and enjoying their lives.
Please give me solid advice. I am not looking to be ridiculed about my scores or thoughts about attending SGU.
Consider applying to the MS program at TouroCOM in NY. If you can prove your abilities by achieving a 3.5 you gain direct admissions into the program. This might be a better fit for you.

Consider applying to the MS program at TouroCOM in NY. If you can prove your abilities by achieving a 3.5 you gain direct admissions into the program. This might be a better fit for you.

More info on this? I was not aware that this was the case. I thought that this was only a guaranteed interview...

LECOM is guaranteed interview, not acceptance.

Touro takes the top 35 students of their masters program who have >3.5 and pass their comprehensive exam. Note that the masters students must perform better than the oms1 in many cases, as they are graded on a curve against each other. Perhaps that would be feasible for op who has that sick 4.0!

This is not true. Interview only. I think only LECOM has a guaranteed accept after the SMP
It is in fact true. The top 35 gain direct admissions to Touro if they meet the 3.5 GPA and pass the comp.
MS Program

I don't know anything about LECOM.

LECOM and VCOM are currently the only DO schools with “automatic acceptance” if you meet a gpa threshold. I quote acceptance because you can still lose the seat if you act like a loser (has actually happened many times).

OP, you never ever go to the carribean. You go to pharmacy school before going to the carribean, even if you have no desire to be a pharmacist! Because at least a degree in pharmacy in the US is worth around 120k/year return on investment

OP, if you truly want to be a doctor but can not push ur MCAT or GPA past the 498 3.2 mark, look at podiatry.

This is not true. Interview only. I think only LECOM has a guaranteed accept after the SMP

It's a fine profession if that's what you want. I'm not sure why you would deviate towards pod if you want to be a physician, though. Two different careers.

If OP wanted to be a surgeon, the pod route would prolly be the best. You really have to be in the top 20% of your class at DO school to do surgery, or anything more competitive than Primary Care.

Despite what people tell you on the forums, in the educational world, there is a stigma twords DOs. If you are going to DO school, you have to at least be comfortable with the idea of Family Medicine or Internal. The MD degree in the US is simply valued more.

I totally get OPs desire to go to MD school. Why pay all that money for a DO when you want an MD. Let someone else who really wants to be a DO go.

Edit: Also OP, look into dental schools. The DAT is significantly easier than the MCAT, and if you can score at the very least a 19, you are in acceptance range. Best part is, they won’t know you took the MCAT 3 times.

Last edited:
I was looking at this post and feeling a little bit disappointed. As a non-traditional student, I started the prereqs while still working a full time job, and completed a Masters in Physiology (2 years) and have several DO acceptances this cycle. The reality in this country is that there are not enough MD schools and MD spots for everyone who is capable of doing it. This is just the reality. I did extremely well in my prereqs and in my masters (4.0) but made a 502 on the MCAT. I would rather start a DO program then put off a year of income for the pipe dream of MD. Listen, alot of students who go DO are completely capable of MD but there just aren't enough spots.

Not to disagree with the previous advices you got, but I took the MCAT 5 times (18, 487, 492, 500, 499). My 500 score lay out was (125,121,127,127) my 499 lay out is (124,125,126,124) which was more well spread out. Anyway, my biggest problem was always CARS because English is not my first language and I've only been living in the US for 6 years. I decided to apply both MD (7) and DO (25) and SGU (33 schools total) this cycle despite so many MCAT attempts, and so far I already completed 3 interviews with 3 DO schools, and I still got 2 more DO interview invites to complete. Still waiting on admissions' decisions. As you can see just like you I was desperate to get in Medical School and I was ready to do anything for it, but unlike you I never (NOT EVEN ONCE) took DO out of a possible route. I think that's your only problem really. The sooner you realize that DOs have the same curriculum (and much more) as MDs, and the sooner you realize they are as competitive and confident as an MD, the sooner you might be on your way to a great Medical school. SGU has always been my last resort, and in fact I do have an interview with them in December, one that kept on pushing back because of my DO interviews. if I get into a DO school, I'M DONE man, and it would be the greatest day of my life.
Edit: By the way I'm originally from Haiti, survived the big earthquake there, and my cGPA is 3.72, and sGPA is 3.70.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Congrats on the interview invites, but there is also the opposite side. There are people who take the mcat 5 times and still don’t get into a school. What was your GPA when applying? It’s easy to have a 3.7 gpa and a 500 mcat and get interview invites.

Not to disagree with the previous advices you got, but I took the MCAT 5 times (18, 487, 492, 500, 499). My 500 score lay out was (125,121,127,127) my 499 lay out is (124,125,126,124) which was more well spread out. Anyway, my biggest problem was always CARS because English was not my first language and I've only been living in the US for 6 years. I decided to apply both MD and DO and SGU (33 schools total) this cycle despite so many MCAT attempts, and so far I already completed 3 interviews with 3 DO schools, and I still got 2 more DO interview invites to complete. Still waiting on admissions' decisions. As you can see just like you I was desperate to get in Medical School and I was to do anything for it, but unlike you I never (NOT EVEN ONCE) took DO out of a possible route. I think that's your only problem really. The sooner you realize that DOs have the same curriculum (and much more) as MDs, and the sooner you realize they are as competitive and confident as an MD, the sooner you might be on your way to a great Medical school. SGU has always been my last resort, and in fact I do have an interview with them in December, one that kept on pushing back because of my DO interviews. if I get into a DO school, I'M DONE man, and it would be the greatest day of my life.

Congrats on the interview invites, but there is also the opposite side. There are people who take the mcat 5 times and still don’t get into a school. What was your GPA when applying? It’s easy to have a 3.7 gpa and a 500 mcat and get interview invites.
Yeah my cGPA is 3.72 and my sGPA 3.69. After this semester my sGPA will be 3.70.

There you go. Congrats tho, a 3.7 is no easy feat. Hope you get in, you would be an excellent example of someone preserving through the mcat.

For others out there with sub 3.2 and 497 mcat, look into podiatry or anouther professional field. Never go Carribean.

Yeah my cGPA is 3.72 and my sGPA 3.69. After this semester my sGPA will be 3.70.

From what I gather, you are willing to go to DPM but not DO? Yet go to Carib? Makes no sense.

Hello hello,

I have great LOR, have plenty of shadowing,research, volunteer, and health care related job experience. First time college graduate and aspiring physician from a rural, medically underserved town.

I applied to Texas and a few out of state school for the 2017 cycle between my junior and senior year. No interviews.
I am now in the midst of the 2018 cycle after just graduating in May 2017. I have applied to all state schools again, as Florida State, Wayne State, and Ohio State.
I haven't received any interview invitations, yet, and am feeling extremely discouraged.
I am considering applying to SGU. I just want a chance at my dreams. I know I can do it. I know I will become a great doctor- I just need to get into school. I am not interested in going to a DO program, I am not interested in PA or NP. This has been my dream for most of my life, and I will not change it. I have always been a great student. I graduated valedictorian then Sumama Cum Laude, and then screwed up my MCAT. I feel I know the material, just haven't learned to "take"and "beat" the test.

I feel I am just wasting my time working as a receptionist for a doctor's office. I hate my job position, and I feel I am just completely wasting my time, not learning, not advancing, and just being unhappy.

I work 40 hours a week at a job that is mentally draining and leaves me with no time to study, work-out, or enjoy personal activities.

WHAT SHOULD I DO.

I need to be working towards my dreams. I just want to start school soon, not wait to reatke my MCAT, reapply and start in 2019. I hate this. I went through many personal situations that I feel affected my ability to prepare the way I needed for my test.
Am I just out of luck here? Should I apply to SGU and get started on my dreams? I know it is an up-hill battle, but I know a handful of successful Carib doctors that are practicing and enjoying their lives.
OP, your GPA indicates you have the potential to score higher on the MCAT. I know you can do it and you are likely just studying incorrectly. Prep one more time for the MCAT by doing a completely different strategy than your previous attempts. If, after a 4th try, you don't break 500, then start considering other paths. Give it one more shot and make sure you do a bunch of practice tests and all the AAMC material. Also work on crafting the correct mindset and reducing stress and anxiety.

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile

Hello hello,

WHAT SHOULD I DO.

I’m confused why you’re against the idea of a DO program? Your mcat scores are far away from MD schools. They’re even a little low for DO schools but within range given your GPA. Anything you could possibly want to do with medicine as a career is possible via the DO route. Does it make it harder than being an MD? Surely. Is it impossible? No way. There are lots of DO Surgeons for example in about every speciality and sub speciality you could imagine. What’s the kicker? Well, for one you have to ace your boards. And if you’re confident you can have successful board scores and successful rotations I have no idea why you’d limit yourself to only MD? I was gungho for MD as well and scored a 500-502 range mcat. With a 3.6gpa I just realized that my return on money for MD applications was probably going to be poor so I applied mostly DO. I have one acceptance so far this cycle already. Caribbean medical schools are substantially worse in terms of limiting your residency choices than would pretty much ANY American DO program. If you’re unwilling to apply DO then sure you could go the carribean route but IMO its a bad choice. I think your chances for MD are pretty much shot unless you literally crush the mcat (515+). Even doing that though makes it tougher to overlook 3 subpar scores (for MD standards).

Reactions: 6 users
If OP wanted to be a surgeon, the pod route would prolly be the best. You really have to be in the top 20% of your class at DO school to do surgery, or anything more competitive than Primary Care.

Despite what people tell you on the forums, in the educational world, there is a stigma twords DOs. If you are going to DO school, you have to at least be comfortable with the idea of Family Medicine or Internal. The MD degree in the US is simply valued more.

I totally get OPs desire to go to MD school. Why pay all that money for a DO when you want an MD. Let someone else who really wants to be a DO go.

Edit: Also OP, look into dental schools. The DAT is significantly easier than the MCAT, and if you can score at the very least a 19, you are in acceptance range. Best part is, they won’t know you took the MCAT 3 times.

Not sure where you got this info but it's completely wrong. Don't spread misinformation like this. Plenty of DO's match outside of FM/IM and it doesn't take a godly application to do so. Not saying a DO is walking into a top tier specialty at a top tier institution, but there are plenty of spots to go around for DO students.