US citizen seeking Residency in UK? Ireland? Europe? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ja12a

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate any advice about visa issues one has to deal with?

What are the best places to apply? and how long does it take to study for the exams? What kind of score is required?

And also what are the chances of matching for an old graduate with no clinical experience? What can one do to gain acceptance in these programs?

Thanks to all that take the time to reply to my questions....

Members don't see this ad.

For the UK, you would need to take the PLAB I and II. If you haven't graduated within the last 2-3 years (I'm rusty on the details), you will be required to pass a clinical exam that isn't the PLAB...they call it something else. You would also need to sign up for FY1 + 2 spots. They go to EU citizens first. Do you have a grandparent from any European country? Also, the UK system is very anonymous and fair in their allocations. Ireland is less transparent (which is frustrating but could be a good thing if you network with the right people.)

For Ireland, I know they do not take Caribbean grads at all. They accept all EU degrees with some exceptions for Romania, I believe.

Someone close to me is in the same boat as you after going to SGU for medicine and has decided to simply repeat medical school to update their qualifications.

I think the Foundation Spots usually run out before non-citizens get them, not 100% sure about that. Note: the spots go to EU citizens and non-EU + UK med school grads first.