US Citizen who went to a non-US/Canada undergrad - should I do an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calling

Reaction score
For context, I was born in the US and am a US citizen, but I completed my undergraduate studies in another country with a 3.5 cGPA and a 3.5 sGPA. I have 1.5 years of undergraduate research experience and ~960 hours working in the same laboratory (no publications yet). I have 480 hours volunteering and around 600 hours of clinical experience and shadowing. All of these are not in the US. No MCAT yet.

I won't be applying to US medical schools yet as most require at least 1 year of coursework in the US. I am thinking of doing an SMP or a Masters program in the US to fulfill this requirement. My question is, if I do exceptionally well in a reputable SMP or Masters program, do I stand a chance of getting into top medical schools? Or does having a non-US undergraduate degree work against me severely? What MCAT score should I aim for?

Would appreciate the honesty. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

We will not see your overseas grades on AMCAS.
In addition to applying the year after you have acquired at least a year of US grades, you need to have US clinical experience and an MCAT consistent with successful applicants from your state of residence. If you have no state of residence, take the MCAT when you can predictably score 514 or better.

Reactions: 1 users
We will not see your overseas grades on AMCAS.
In addition to applying the year after you have acquired at least a year of US grades, you need to have US clinical experience and an MCAT consistent with successful applicants from your state of residence. If you have no state of residence, take the MCAT when you can predictably score 514 or better.
Thank you. Why should I apply only after acquiring at least a year of grades? Is this to study for the MCAT/gain clinical experience in the US or is this a specific rule in admissions for cases like mine?

Members don't see this ad :)
You will need to have your transcript evaluated, but you will come in without a verified GPA if all your courses come from outside US or Canada. That automatically puts you at a disadvantage unless you take courses on the United States.

Reactions: 1 users
You will need to have your transcript evaluated, but you will come in without a verified GPA if all your courses come from outside US or Canada. That automatically puts you at a disadvantage unless you take courses on the United States.
If I do post-graduate studies in the US, could my grades here make up for having a non-US GPA? Or by courses, do you mean strictly undergrad courses?

Your grades will not appear until after you have taken the courses.
The primary application does not update as new grades are acquired.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but if I graduate from a one-year US post-graduate program (e.g. a one-year SMP), couldn't my US grades appear in my application right after?

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but if I graduate from a one-year US post-graduate program (e.g. a one-year SMP), couldn't my US grades appear in my application right after?
Grades that are available at the time the application is filed will be included.
As you can see, the earliest that you can submit and expect your grades to appear will be the year after you begin your studies in the US.

Reactions: 3 users
Let me break this down for you. If you begin an academic program in August/September 2023, some grades will be posted in December and additional grades will be posted in May/June, 2024. You could apply in June/July 2024 with that transcript. You should obtain access to the MSAR (online access sold by AAMC -- google it), and determine which schools will accept pre-reqs done abroad. Otherwise, you might need a post-bac (undergraduate coursework in chem, organic chem, biology, physics, biochemistry, etc) in place of or in addition to the SMP.

Do figure into the equation the need to devote about 300 hours to MCAT prep and the need for 7 hour blocks of time to build the stamina to sit through the exam which is arduous.

Reactions: 4 users
Grades that are available at the time the application is filed will be included.
As you can see, the earliest that you can submit and expect your grades to appear will be the year after you begin your studies in the US.
Let me break this down for you. If you begin an academic program in August/September 2023, some grades will be posted in December and additional grades will be posted in May/June, 2024. You could apply in June/July 2024 with that transcript. You should obtain access to the MSAR (online access sold by AAMC -- google it), and determine which schools will accept pre-reqs done abroad. Otherwise, you might need a post-bac (undergraduate coursework in chem, organic chem, biology, physics, biochemistry, etc) in place of or in addition to the SMP.

Do figure into the equation the need to devote about 300 hours to MCAT prep and the need for 7 hour blocks of time to build the stamina to sit through the exam which is arduous.
This is all extremely helpful. Thank you so much everyone!

Reactions: 1 user