US Clinical Experience Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bozidar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I know there are a lot of threads about USCE for International Medical Students/Graduates,but I have to start a new one.
I'm a fifth year medical student in my home country (Serbia) (program lasts 6 years) and I've been thinking about what kind of USEFUL HANDS ON USCE can I obtain...?
I've spent a couple of months already looking for something realistic,but I can't seem to find it.
Let me explain the situation...
I'm planning on passing the USMLE Steps 1 and 2 after I finish my college here. I'm still not sure whether I'm going to go for it exactly in the year when I graduate (Summer of 2016). or 1 year after (Summer of 2017.) (ANY OPINIONS/ADVICE ON THIS? :) )
And if all that hopefully works,I would like to apply for an INTERNAL MEDICINE residency.
Of course,I heard that USCE and Letters of Recommendation from US doctors are the second thing for evaluating IMG applications,immediatelly after Step 1 and Step 2 scores.
I know that while I'm still a STUDENT I can get electives/clerkships,but when i GRADUATE I'll only be able to do observerships...
Regarding the electives,I was looking for the ones that accept International Medical Students,that don't require USMLE Step 1(since I'm going to pass it only after I finish my studies),that don't require malpractice insurance(since I can't really obtain it),the ones that don't require huge application/tutition fees(since my budget is limited),AND the ones that are available in the SUMMER(2nd half of July or August,since that is the only time I don't have commitments in my college)...
So,my question is: Is it possible to find an elective/clerkship that meets these criteria?
Or,as an alternative,are there good observerships in academic institutions that don't cost a lot of money and that can mean something? (I know they can never be as good as the hands on electives/clerkships,but I still need them to have some weight)
One more thing: Right now I only have the opportunity to do an observership in a private physician's office for a couple of weeks,so I don't know if I should pursue that(keep in mind that right now I can't do more than 1 type of USCE because of my limited budget...)
So,I'm just confused if I should pursue USCE at all costs,or should I just focus on improving my USMLE scores as much as I can and improving my CV by volunteering,getting recommendations from doctors in my home country and having some kind of publication of my research papers...?
Thanks a lot for your replies in advance,and sorry for the long post.
Good luck everyone!
P.S. Happy holidays! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Bozidar,

I would say that in the best case scenario you should find an USCE now whilst you are still a medical student, then study for the USMLEs next year, and do 3-4 observerships just before you submit your ERAS application.

I'll explain why:
-USCE certainly carry the greatest weight, especially because you can really show off your qualities as a physician and as a person. Helping out residents and attendings with practical tasks certainly puts you at an advantage. If surgery is what you are going for then showing off your surgical skills is also a major bonus.
-Get the USMLEs done asap. I have seen IMGs procrastinate and find themselves 3-4 years out of med school without them. It makes a difference when you present yourself to the programs you are visiting with a set package because they will be able to assess you in full, and it might be easier to win them over. The only exception to my statement of doing them asap is if you are considering taking sometime to do research, then you can spread out the studying. USMLE are important but not to the extent that this forum or other people make it. Anything over 240 is superb (also dependant on the specialty). Make sure that you have lots of research, because that will make you stand out more than the USMLEs.
-One of the best advice I received was to make as many observerships just prior to ERAS submission. The reason being that those programs a) will most likely invite you for interviews b)will remember your excellent performance if you were there closer to interview season. Connections are key, if that means knocking on people's doors and standing in the OR for 14 hours just observing, then be it. Even is you can't show your practical skills, there is much more you can show to them.

In my opinion the greatest factor that will get you the job in a competitive specialty is connections. If you have someone strong to back you up you have a much greater chance in succeeding. Ideally you want to rotate with a PD or chair of department. See if someone in your home institution has ties in the US so they can recommend you. If not, send emails to every PD/chair you can think of. Ask if you can observe for 2-3 weeks. If still that doesn't work, there are programs that will offer an elective but you have to pay (a fortune!).

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Hey,thanks for the reply. Well I don't have any connections,so I can't rely on that.
I'm gonna have to rely on good USMLE scores,my research background and my personal statement. :)