US DO - Reality Check on Pursuing Urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentOfNone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad 3rd year DO that developed an interest in Urology. I want a reality check before I dump 10 months of hard work into matching Urology with a theoretical 60% chance of success.

Stats:
Step1 - "Dream" score
COMLEX - above average
Grades - preclinical was average, so far all honors for rotations, including surg.
Leadership - Yes, multiple roles
ECs - significant work history that was not surgery related, but I have a good story to explain my desire for Urology
Research - Presentation, Publicationx3, no Urology relation so far
Intangibles - I'm lighthearted, socially aware, and hard-working... I am confident I can make good impressions on auditions

All of that being said, applying to Urology as a DO is daunting. I have a good relationship with an interviewer from a top 10 MD school and he was very clear about the DO stigma still being strong, but at that level, there is even low-tier MD stigma.

Essentially, I am just seeking advice from individuals out there who are familiar with DO friendly programs and what my chances would be for matching. Any advice or comments on my competitiveness?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The formula for surgical subs as a DO is basically the same across all the subs, audition at the former DO programs like your life depended on it and apply broadly to MD places as you never know who might throw you an invite. You are a competitive applicant for DO Uro on paper, it will come down to your audition.

I met a few DOs on the trail several years ago when I was applying. Unfortunately it seemed to me at the time that DOs work at least 2-3x harder for each interview compared to MD counterparts. I knew of one guy that matched, the rest appeared to have not despite all of them doing 3-4 subinternships. Not sure how the application cycle will fair next year (depending on COVID) but I would imagine your chances are highest during a normal cycle where you can do sub-internships and truly shine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I met a few DOs on the trail several years ago when I was applying. Unfortunately it seemed to me at the time that DOs work at least 2-3x harder for each interview compared to MD counterparts. I knew of one guy that matched, the rest appeared to have not despite all of them doing 3-4 subinternships. Not sure how the application cycle will fair next year (depending on COVID) but I would imagine your chances are highest during a normal cycle where you can do sub-internships and truly shine.
Great mention on COVID. This is a scary process to begin with.

This will be a test of my capacity to just accept the process as the process and not be too wound up about the fact I’m trying to match in 1 of 12ish spots.

Last edited:
On paper your application looks pretty decent. Will be very difficult to match to an MD program, as you already know. But you should be competitive for the DO programs. I would go all in on them. Need to up the research game.