US doctor takes live ammo from soldier's head

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They should have used an MRI. That would have solved the problem of removing the round :laugh:

PS: Seriously people, it's just a bullet. Jeez. They treated it like it was a bomb.
PPS: How would a round get into someone's head with the shell anyway?

Last edited:
It was a 14.5 mm highly explosive round. Here's another angle:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/10/world/asia/10military.html?hpw

Its like something out of a TV medical drama (I believe it was grey's). Luckily the surgeon who took it out had simulated training on how to not drop live rounds. I'd imagine it would have been more freaky for the bomb tech to carry it out the room and dismantle it...

Members don't see this ad :)
They should have used an MRI. That would have solved the problem of removing the round :laugh:

PS: Seriously people, it's just a bullet. Jeez. They treated it like it was a bomb.

Clearly you have never seen the damage that 'just a bullet' can do. Bump an unexpended round the wrong way and it goes off. You don't know which direction it will ricochet are who it is going to hit. And if it hits you, you hope it is a clean through and through and doesn't hit a bone and bounce around your insides a bit. Dangerous stuff dude. You wanna be the one doing that surgery?

lol i was more interested in the title of this thread, US doctor takes live ammo from soldier's head. note that the bullet was alive!!!.

Um, it was a bomb. Explosive round.

"They said, the way these things are set up, this type of round has an impact detonator on the front of the charge," Dr. Bini said. "They just said, ‘Don't drop it.' "

the NYT article is much better at explaining it. Its not a question of the round "going off" and ricocheting, its an explosive round, like... go boom.

Edit: I hope the "live" vs "alive" post above was a poor attempt at sad cheesy humor.

I'm just astounded to hear they even train for that sort of stuff :eek:

Um, it was a bomb. Explosive round.

“They said, the way these things are set up, this type of round has an impact detonator on the front of the charge,” Dr. Bini said. “They just said, ‘Don’t drop it.’ ”

the NYT article is much better at explaining it. Its not a question of the round "going off" and ricocheting, its an explosive round, like... go boom.

Edit: I hope the "live" vs "alive" post above was a poor attempt at sad cheesy humor.

In either scenario the comment of 'only a bullet' was ignorant at best.

It was a 14.5 mm highly explosive round. Here's another angle:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/10/world/asia/10military.html?hpw

Its like something out of a TV medical drama (I believe it was grey's). Luckily the surgeon who took it out had simulated training on how to not drop live rounds. I'd imagine it would have been more freaky for the bomb tech to carry it out the room and dismantle it...

I see your point, from that angle it does not look like a regular round.