US Educated....UK/Ireland for intern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

messenger634

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a third year student on the east coast, and am wondering about intern opportunities for US educated students in the UK after medical school. I'm not particularly committed to any speciality at this point, and havent ruled out a non-practicing job at some point. Sorry if this question has already been asked, but if anyone has anything to share it would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm a third year student on the east coast, and am wondering about intern opportunities for US educated students in the UK after medical school. I'm not particularly committed to any speciality at this point, and havent ruled out a non-practicing job at some point. Sorry if this question has already been asked, but if anyone has anything to share it would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

You probably don't have a very good chance of getting a UK internship, the chances are even slimmer if you don't have UK/EU/EEA citizenship or permanent residency. I know that non-EU citizens who are graduates of UK medical schools have a difficult time getting internships in the UK. Coming from outside the EU your chances will be even worse.

I'm nearly certain that you can't do an internship in Ireland because you need to graduate from a European medical school to be eligible.

However, after you complete a residency in the US you should have no problem getting into Europe.

If you are not EU trained or don't have an EU passport you will not get a foundation post (the first 2 post grad years). Unless you want to be a GP and are willing to go anywhere in the UK you are unlikely to get a training post beyond this level and even then is isn't likely. You could probably get a non-training post but doing that sort of thing longterm is not a good idea.