US IMG can't match this year, need some advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent9111

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am a US IMG, finished Step 1 and step 2ck, graduating in 2 months. My Step 2 CS was cancelled due to COVID and now I am screwed because my school is not eligible for any of the 5 pathways which means I cannot apply to the match this year. It is really depressing to find this out because I've been waiting for so long to get to this point. Anyone have any advice on what are some good options with MD degree and planning to apply to next residency cycle? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the ECFMG is considering other options to allow IMG's to participate. So there's some chance that the rules will shift enough such that you'll be able to participate, although if they don't change the rules soon it won't matter.

If your school doesn't qualify for pathway 3, it won't qualify after 2023 at all.

I'd contact the ECFMG and see if they have any updates. Once a vaccine is available the backlog of CS will be enormous, and they have (probably) laid off all of their SP's. It won't be easy to ramp back up.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe the ECFMG is considering other options to allow IMG's to participate. So there's some chance that the rules will shift enough such that you'll be able to participate, although if they don't change the rules soon it won't matter.

If your school doesn't qualify for pathway 3, it won't qualify after 2023 at all.

I'd contact the ECFMG and see if they have any updates. Once a vaccine is available the backlog of CS will be enormous, and they have (probably) laid off all of their SP's. It won't be easy to ramp back up.

I appreciate your reply and help in this matter. Let's say I can't apply this year and I can apply next year because ECFMG has worked things out,my school has got accreditation or something,( I believe they have already applied). Then would you have any recommendations on what I can do for this year off as a medical graduate? just any general recommendations? thanks!

There's no magic answer. Preferably something with some clinical exposure. If you can legally work in the US, then being a scribe, a paid research position, or something similar. If not, then a clinical position in your home country. In your other thread you mentined an EMT license -- that would be a great choice.

What school is this?

There's no magic answer. Preferably something with some clinical exposure. If you can legally work in the US, then being a scribe, a paid research position, or something similar. If not, then a clinical position in your home country. In your other thread you mentined an EMT license -- that would be a great choice.

What school is this?
I agree there is no magic answer. I was just looking for some advice. Thanks for your help!

It is worth talking to your PD and also calling World Federation for Medical Education and ECFMG directly. Try to get a human on the line and explain your situation. See if they can give you info on the accreditation status of your program and make sure this isn't a typo in their database.

I did this dance years ago with AAMC and ECFMG and was able to move several immovable objects with persistence. In this situation there is no drawback to getting the story from them directly.

Reactions: 1 users
It is worth talking to your PD and also calling World Federation for Medical Education and ECFMG directly. Try to get a human on the line and explain your situation. See if they can give you info on the accreditation status of your program and make sure this isn't a typo in their database.

I did this dance years ago with AAMC and ECFMG and was able to move several immovable objects with persistence. In this situation there is no drawback to getting the story from them directly.

I did talk to WFME no luck there. Will try ECFMG directly though. Thank you so much for your advice :)!