US licensure for international dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epi87

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
How are you all?i am new on the forum and i am an italian dental student interested to get the U.S licensure for practicing private dentistry in America.I know i should complete the two last years of dental school to get the DDS degree but i have heard that in some states is possible to practice private dentistry without DDS degree but completing an ADA accredited program like OMFS,Perio,Endo,Prostho,etc.
Is it real or just rumors?Someone told me that these states are Texas,Virginia,California and Washington.Someone can help me about that? Any informations? Thanks for your kindness.The forum rocks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
True.. but still you have to pass national boards and have a good TOEFL test score..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

More schools are moving towards 3 years rather than 2.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes there r few states. Not sure abt Texan n Virginia. I think they want you to be US citizen or green card holder to apply. Check PASS/Match application portal when they open in May. Keep in mind that you will be competing with all other US grads for specialization. Also look into AEGD programs.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using SDN mobile

Thanks you all for your replies. Yes Tx is for sure because i've read it on the ada site but still don't know which are the others states.

Yes there r few states. Not sure abt Texan n Virginia. I think they want you to be US citizen or green card holder to apply. Check PASS/Match application portal when they open in May. Keep in mind that you will be competing with all other US grads for specialization. Also look into AEGD programs.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using SDN mobile
Hello, I am a foreign trained dentist from Pakistan. I was wondering if its okay to apply for both OMFS programs and AEGD in the same cycle? Also, i was wondering what are the chances of acceptance into an AEGD program for an international dentist?
Thank you.

Hello, I am a foreign trained dentist from Pakistan. I was wondering if its okay to apply for both OMFS programs and AEGD in the same cycle? Also, i was wondering what are the chances of acceptance into an AEGD program for an international dentist?
Thank you.

Yes it's pretty fine. Well u have more chance to get in aegd prog.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you.

Where r u from Pakistan, I'm also from there, are you done with your national boards?

Where r u from Pakistan, I'm also from there, are you done with your national boards?

I'm from lahore. I am done with part 1 and will be taking part 2 this summer. What about you? Also, between AEGD and GPR programs, which one is more competitive? I have my inclination towards GPR programs.

I'm from lahore. I am done with part 1 and will be taking part 2 this summer. What about you? Also, between AEGD and GPR programs, which one is more competitive? I have my inclination towards GPR programs.
Hi, I am also from Pakistan (Karachi.) Where are you staying in U.S? I am in Washington and gathering info for GPR and AEGD. Here, I only found 1 program where international students can apply for AEGD so far and that too in under-served communities. All other programs requires US DDS/DMD. Did you find out about any programs which accept foreign trained dentist?