US Med School Questions & Financing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xtekian

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a junior who goes to an American college and am planning to go to med school. I'm a Canadian citizen, but I moved to the US with my parents in 9th grade and currently live in PA. My parents still haven't received permanent residency, and I'm turning 20 very soon, which means that I probably won't be a permanent resident before I turn 21. This means that I would probably have to take care of US citizenship requirements myself as well as apply to med schools as an internation/Canadian student.

My family is strapped for cash enough already as I'm in college, but I'm very worried about paying for med school. I called every public med school in PA, of which half told me I couldn't apply, and the other half that I would need to pay full tuition if I were to be accepted, so there isn't much incentive to choose med schools in my state over any private institution in the US. Some schools even require all 4 years of tuition in an escrow before I start taking classes =( All the schools, however, did say that they would consider me equal to an American student academically since I go to a American college.

In addition, since I don't live in Canada anymore, I am hesitant to apply to a Canadian school since I would count as an out-of-province applicant and would have to be subject to a lot of varying restrictions, and so there isn't much incentive for me to choose a Canadian school over an American one.

So enough about what I've researched, I would like to know a few things: It's pretty tiring to call each school one by one and try and find out their stance on Canadian students, so I was wondering if there was a list out there somewhere that outlines this, or if someone has already done that kind of research and is willing to share.

ie. 1) which schools require you to have 4 years of tuition up front
2) are there any schools that do not accept international applications that accept Canadian schools
3) are there US schools that have higher acceptance rates/higher proportions of Canadian students in them
etc

Secondly, I am still worried about financing since I will have to pay full tuition to practically any med school I go to. I know there is CanLearn, is there anything else? If I go to med school, I may be able to pay around $20,000 a year, but that means I might need $30,000 of loans per year... what else is there to help me finance for med school if I get accepted?

Sorry for the long email... but I definitely need to get it off my chest lol. Any help at all is appreciated! Thanks!

edit:
Oh a couple more things about me, maybe it will help... the last province I lived in while in Canada was Alberta, I go to Amherst College, I'm a Neuroscience Major, current GPA is ~3.3, although hopefully it will go up soon.

Members don't see this ad.

anyone? any help would be greatly appreciated !

Hey xtekian,

I can't help you with a list of medical schools as I'm in dentistry. However, with regards to your financial questions, besides CanLearn or CanHelp, there are a few private loan companies from which you can get loans. A few examples include American Education Services (AES), SallieMae, ect. The main requirement for these loans is that you have to have an American cosigner who has a good income and a stable job. If you do a search on Google on private loan companies/organizations, you should be able to find a few more.

Since you're a Canadian, you may be eligible to get some Canada's (Federal) Student Loans (CSL) although you won't get much unfortunately. However, you should call them up and ask. I don't know if you're qualified to get the provincial loan as well since you're living in the States now, but you should also enquire about that.
Good luck :)

- Canadian schools vary widely in what they consider to be in-province - you may qualify for some, but have to check every school to find out
- you need to find out the exact timeline for green card and whether you can apply on your own. Might make more sense to delay med school for a year or two until you have the green card (although the times can vary widely). It would save you a huge amount of $$ and there is no pressing reason that you need to start med school immediately.
- be very careful about leaving the US if you have a green card app in process; if you do not get prior approval, they will cancel your app and will not let you come back across the border.