US Medical School after MBBS in India?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

karampradhan100

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,


I am an international Medical Graduate from India. I am done with all my USMLE steps and my year of graduation is above 6 years. I have applied this year too into ERAS, but because of my years of graduation and not having post graduate degree, I do not see any chance this year also.


My wife will be completing her residency next year and I am trying to figure out the next best thing to do career wise. It is really hard to even think of anything else after staying so many years into this profession. This is one thing I can do better than anything else.


My wife is doing her residency on j1 visa and I am on j2 visa. There are so many things to consider before I can make any decision. I am thinking of all the different possibilities.


One among them is, in the long run, can I apply for Medical School here in US and go over my USMLE steps again to apply for residency? Is it possible? Is it legal? Will they let me keep my USMLE scores or will have to give my steps all over again? I know this sound crazy given the background that, I already have MBBS from India and have completed all my steps. But if anyone has any information about this, it would be of immense help.


Thank you.
 
It would take you about 7 years, and close to $.5 million, and tremendous luck, to get through US med school (3 years to redo prerequisite college sciences & take the MCAT to get accepted, then 4 years to finish). Regardless, without permanent US residency such as a greencard, it's nearly impossible to get into a US MD school, even with a perfect record.

There used to be a "fifth pathway" which put FMGs through a year of clinicals to get eligibility for US residency, but that ended a couple years ago. Generally, US MD schools are not looking to lend a hand to FMGs.

I assume you've reviewed http://www.ecfmg.org/ ?

Best of luck to you.
 
MD medical schools in the US generally require that you complete all the prerequisites at an accredited US or Canadian college along with a certain number of college credits, which varies from 30 to 60 to 90 to a full undergrad degree. And AMCAS, the primary MD application service, does not accept foreign transcripts.

You might look into applying to DO med schools instead, as AACOMAS, their application service, does accept foreign transcripts. And they use different tests for their Steps, which gets around the problem that yours have expired for most or all US residency programs. Some of their schools have a fast track. You might check into this in the PreMedOsteo forum.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

...
One among them is, in the long run, can I apply for Medical School here in US and go over my USMLE steps again to apply for residency? Is it possible? Is it legal? Will they let me keep my USMLE scores or will have to give my steps all over again? I know this sound crazy given the background that, I already have MBBS from India and have completed all my steps. But if anyone has any information about this, it would be of immense help.


thank you.

it's not possible. You are already a foreign physician who took all the Steps. No US med school will let you start over.
 
OP, please do not post the same thread in multiple forums. I have merged all of your threads together here.

As others have said, it is unlikely that you would be able to go to medical school again in this country. Even if you could do so, it's a waste of your time and training. If you're not eligible to apply for a U.S. residency via ERAS, I would suggest looking into what you need to do to be eligible to apply for a residency outside the match, rather than trying to repeat medical school.
 
OP, indeed this is a difficult situation for you. But just last week, one of my co-interviewees at a U.S. medical school was a woman who had obtained her MBBS in China and had the same problem as you (number of years), and she had interviews in several other schools as well. I think there ARE medical schools who accept people in your position, so do not lose hope. Good luck to you!
 
OP, please do not post the same thread in multiple forums. I have merged all of your threads together here.

As others have said, it is unlikely that you would be able to go to medical school again in this country. Even if you could do so, it's a waste of your time and training. If you're not eligible to apply for a U.S. residency via ERAS, I would suggest looking into what you need to do to be eligible to apply for a residency outside the match, rather than trying to repeat medical school.
.QofQuimica, I am sorry for that! I did not know which forum to ask my question. I will keep that in mind in future. Thanks..
 
Doesn't NYCOM have some sort of Emigre physician program (for those who've completed medical training abroad)?