US Medical Student Rotation in UK or Ireland.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankNecrosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to land a clerkship in the Ireland or UK for my fourth year in April or May 2010. My school doesn't have any established relationships in the UK or Ireland, nor will it help set things up, but it will pay for 2/3rd the cost to go oversees.

I have contacted atleast 10 schools in the UK and Ireland about setting up a clerkship, with no luck. Mostly due to having no openings at that time of the year.

I'm now starting to think I am going at this the wrong way, and instead of trying to set something up through the medical schools, I should look to set something up with a community physician.

I don't know that much about the medical culture, and don't know what would work and what wouldn't. However, if anyone has ANY ideas on how I can make a UK or Ireland clerkship happen I would GREAATTLY appreciate it. The rotaiton type really doesn't matter so much--at this point I've stopped being picky!

MUCH thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure exactly what you have done already so what I say might not be relevant but I'm sure a lot of our schools have a general application process that anyone from anywhere can apply to. Barts springs to mind as having something like that and they certainly wont be the only one.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Having a Prof push for you might help. What field are you interested in?

It really doesn't matter all that much, FP, general medicine, peds, ob/ gyn.