US medical students, please help an IMG here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nabin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did an internship in a hospital which was not so good except for the medicine department. That was awesome. Learnt a great deal there. But I planned to come to States straightway and not work back home. The US health system is sophisticated and advanced, and doesn't really tally to what we do back there so I thought why should I waste my time and started preparing for the exams here. I am right now in the US preparing my steps and plan to do observerships later.
Now, you have seen first-hand what life is as a doctor here or as a resident seeing them instruct you during your rotations, how much do I need to worry about settling into first year residency ? I'm not asking being sure of a match (which I hope for, of course), just asking generally. How much would they really guide us and help us considering us novices with procedures and stuffs? I didn't worry about those things because all my seniors said you start from zero when doing a residency here, and guided in each and every step. Supposedly, I can clear my steps will I be good enough to go straight into real life residency work here? Please help. I'm too anxious about it.

Members don't see this ad.

It's true, they teach you from the ground up during internship here. Think about it - the match rate for US grads is excellent, nearly everyone gets a residency. I can tell you from experience that there are a lot of marginal people here who somehow get through medical school and match (as I am sure is also the case in your country - there are always a few unimpressive people who make it through med school). Most people who match, succeed and complete their residencies.

That is part of the reason that internship is so difficult - because it really is a huge step up in terms of responsibility and learning. Nevertheless, no one expects a newly-graduated medical student to study anything extra before starting residency - the idea is that you will be taught what you need to know

So focus on doing well on your steps and try to get a spot in a US program. Once you are in, you are very likely to do well.

It's true, they teach you from the ground up during internship here. Think about it - the match rate for US grads is excellent, nearly everyone gets a residency. I can tell you from experience that there are a lot of marginal people here who somehow get through medical school and match (as I am sure is also the case in your country - there are always a few unimpressive people who make it through med school). Most people who match, succeed and complete their residencies.

That is part of the reason that internship is so difficult - because it really is a huge step up in terms of responsibility and learning. Nevertheless, no one expects a newly-graduated medical student to study anything extra before starting residency - the idea is that you will be taught what you need to know

So focus on doing well on your steps and try to get a spot in a US program. Once you are in, you are very likely to do well.

Thanks a lot for your insight into the real deal. It has totally relieved me of my anxiety. Need to clear the exams with good scores is all I need to make my dream come true then. Here's hoping. Cheers!