us medical study vs. uk medical study

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

selenaharvard24

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone out there,

I would just like to know if medical study is longer in the US or in the UK. Also I would like to know the main differences between the two systems, and which system of study is better from your opinion.


I would urge you to please reply, and any decent answer would be kindly appreciated.:help:
 
Hey everyone out there,

I would just like to know if medical study is longer in the US or in the UK. Also I would like to know the main differences between the two systems, and which system of study is better from your opinion.


I would urge you to please reply, and any decent answer would be kindly appreciated.:help:

Honestly, 10 minutes with Wikipedia would answer this question better than almost everyone here. There are very few people who know the US and UK medical systems extremely well... Here's a shot however.

US: Undergrad = 4 years, med school = 4 years, residency = 3-10 years. For a general family medicine style doc, residency = 3 years -> Total = 11 years.

UK: No undergrad, med school = 5-6 years, residency = 5-9 years. For a GP, residency = 5 years -> Total = 10-11 years.

In terms of health care systems, US and UK are vastly different.

US: Crazy ass mix of private and public health care. Medicaid covers the very poor and many children. A sizable variety of private insurance companies cover almost all <65 years olds, 65+ have Medicare, but also some have "private" Medicare or private supplemental plans. Doctors work for "fee for service" which means that you get paid to have an office visit, do a surgery, interpret a test, etc. Payment comes from a large variety of payers from the actual patient to the federal government. Pay itself depends on a doctor's productivity.

UK: All health care related issues are covered by the National Health Service which is a government operated entity. As such, all doctors work directly for the federal government. Pay is not dictated by services, but is a salary (or perhaps by "hours worked"). The NHS covers health, vision, and dental care. Only about 8% of citizens have supplemental insurance. This would cover things like experimental chemo or maybe an elective joint replacement, i.e. things that the NHS wouldn't provide.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you very much for this wonderful insight!!!!!!!!!! I really benefitted from the light you shed on this topic. However, let me inform you that I am not studying in the US. But I am studying in an American high school were I will end up graduating with the American HS diploma. Now, I have a few questions for you, I hope you can kindly answer them.


  1. What does "pwn" stand for?
  2. Why is skipping undergrad a temptation that should be resisted ( I'll try my best not to skip undergrad anyway)?
  3. Why is it risky to go abroad for medical education right out of high school?

Once again, thank you very much and all help is kindly appreciated!!!!!!!:bow:
 
Thank you very much for this wonderful insight!!!!!!!!!! I really benefitted from the light you shed on this topic. However, let me inform you that I am not studying in the US. But I am studying in an American high school were I will end up graduating with the American HS diploma. Now, I have a few questions for you, I hope you can kindly answer them.


  1. What does "pwn" stand for?
  2. Why is skipping undergrad a temptation that should be resisted ( I'll try my best not to skip undergrad anyway)?
  3. Why is it risky to go abroad for medical education right out of high school?

Once again, thank you very much and all help is kindly appreciated!!!!!!!:bow:

You know Selena, I know you're in high school and I'm trying to be nice about this but all the questions you asked he did answer. Is english NOT your first language and you have trouble comprehending it sometimes?

The question yuo should be asking yourself is where you want to study medicine and where you plan on practicing medicine. If the answer is US then that should answer questions 2 and 3 immediately because YOU HAVE to do undergrad first. If your answer is somewhere else than go to UK/wherever because it doesn't matter.

Furthermore, if you are not a US citizen/permanent resident you will have a VERY hard time in getting into a US medical school. You pretty much need amazing scores etc so that medical schools will take you. It's been done before but chances are very slim for you. You should also consider this in choosing your future path.
 
Are you god to know chances are slim for me? How did you know I am not a US citizen. By the way, I can comprehend English very well, to the least of your knowledge. This is the internet, not the SAT reasoning test, so I know what I am looking for. And if you read the title of my thread, it said: reply to indya not reply to ischemic. So I expected the response of the person I am questioning.😕
 
go to med school where you want to practice. It's hard to land a decent or competitive US residency if you go to a foreign med school. And if you decide to do a residency in another country and then come to the US, you will just have to suck it up and do a residency all over again.
 
Are you god to know chances are slim for me? How did you know I am not a US citizen. By the way, I can comprehend English very well, to the least of your knowledge. This is the internet, not the SAT reasoning test, so I know what I am looking for. And if you read the title of my thread, it said: reply to indya not reply to ischemic. So I expected the response of the person I am questioning.😕

First of all, let's tone down the attitude. You came in here looking for advice and since this is a public forum anybody with a ****ing opinion can and will give their input. Fortunately for you, I actually know what the hell I'm talking about and have been more than civil in answering your ******ed questions. Why don't you venture into pre-allo and see how well your prissy attitude will be received there.

No, I am not God but I have been around the process (which is more than I can say about you) to know that if you are an international student without citizenship or permanent residency status your chances into getting into med school here are SLIM. You think I'm making this **** up? Fine, don't believe me and find out the hard way.

Next, your reading comprehension definitely sucks. In this thread and the other thread you started you continue to ask questions that have been answered in the body of people's posts. Ex: you said "how did you know I'm not a US citizen". If you READ and COMPREHENDED my post I wrote "IF you are not ..." which addresses the possibility that you may not be instead of me saying with definitive certainty "you are NOT a US citizen".

While I'm in the mood I'm going to give you some valuable life lessons.

1. Learn to grow some thicker skin. This is the internet and people will bash you and say stupid stuff all the time and my post was actually exceedingly nice relative to what people write in pre-allo (hint: don't go there, you might get your feewings hurt 🙁).
2. When someone who is more knowledgeable than you and has more experience in the field than you gives you advice be thankful. I was actually more than willing to help you but not anymore.
3. Kinda goes with 1 but learn to deal with criticism with more grace. You think I'm being harsh, imagine being on the wards and messing up. You think your attending physician will hold you and sing you a song? Hell no, you're going to get your ass chewed out IN FRONT OF EVERYBODY. Medicine in hierarchical learn that now or pay the price later. When someone above you gives advice, you don't have to agree with it but respect it.
4. Your immaturity screams out from your posts and I can now see why your parents seem skeptical in your ability to handle the demands of medicine. Who knows maybe you'll outgrow it but at the moment ... no chance. Thank you and have a good night.
 
10 years for residency?!!! I believe that neurosurgery is 7 years (its the longest one) but I don't know of anybody ever doing 3 years of fellowship after. There ARE people that have done two residencies (poor souls) but they are an exception.

Honestly, 10 minutes with Wikipedia would answer this question better than almost everyone here. There are very few people who know the US and UK medical systems extremely well... Here's a shot however.

US: Undergrad = 4 years, med school = 4 years, residency = 3-10 years. For a general family medicine style doc, residency = 3 years -> Total = 11 years.

UK: No undergrad, med school = 5-6 years, residency = 5-9 years. For a GP, residency = 5 years -> Total = 10-11 years.

In terms of health care systems, US and UK are vastly different.

US: Crazy ass mix of private and public health care. Medicaid covers the very poor and many children. A sizable variety of private insurance companies cover almost all <65 years olds, 65+ have Medicare, but also some have "private" Medicare or private supplemental plans. Doctors work for "fee for service" which means that you get paid to have an office visit, do a surgery, interpret a test, etc. Payment comes from a large variety of payers from the actual patient to the federal government. Pay itself depends on a doctor's productivity.

UK: All health care related issues are covered by the National Health Service which is a government operated entity. As such, all doctors work directly for the federal government. Pay is not dictated by services, but is a salary (or perhaps by "hours worked"). The NHS covers health, vision, and dental care. Only about 8% of citizens have supplemental insurance. This would cover things like experimental chemo or maybe an elective joint replacement, i.e. things that the NHS wouldn't provide.
 
Incorrect about the 300,000 at the least. Medical school is very cheap in some countries; about 1,000 a year for tuition. (At least in Mexico. For some European countries I believe its about the same if you study there coming from the US)

You don't HAVE to be 200 or 300,000 in debt after medical school. Your tuition will be about 30,000 a year if you are starting med school this year or in the near future. The rest of your cost of attendance is up to you. You can go out and spend money freely or not. You can get an expensive 1,000/month apartment or one for 400/month. Its up to you.


1. pwn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn
2. Skipping undergrad implies going abroad for medical school. see number 3--->
3. Risky because you will be down $300,000 at the least, and unless you do very well, you may not even be able to come back to the US and practice medicine. I have seen within my own family how hard it is to come to the US from a foreign medical school. My cousin just started his IM residency about a month ago. He scored in the 99th percentile on the USMLE, had great LOR's from American physicians, and got very good grades in medical school. He applied to 200+ IM residencies in the US (US grads apply to about 15, I think), and got accepted to only one (and this was partly because the program director is our family friend. by the way: IM is not a competitive field at all.) This story is not uncommon among FMG's (foreign medical graduates.) Basically, if you have the mental capacity to come to the US after going to medical school abroad, you have the mental capacity to go the traditional route (and do quite well.)
 
First of all, i am a high school student, and there is no reason for me to even go into pre-allo. My reading comprehension doesn't suck!!!!!, because if it had been that way, I wouldn't have gotten a 230 on my PSAT diagnostic test. To the least of your knowledge, I actually accept advice from those who are above me. My questions are not ******ed, no matter what you may say, because those I question actually know why I am questioning them. I accepted your advice kindly until you started addressing me as if I am some idiot, even if you're older, you don't have to look down on me.Thank you for the life lessons, if you just look back at my age you wouldn't be telling me these things. You may say i am immature but I am not, I own my mind, and I have certain reasons for saying what I say. I am not ungrateful, people may have to be dealt with in different ways.

Thank you for your assistance.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First of all, i am a high school student, and there is no reason for me to even go into pre-allo. My reading comprehension doesn't suck!!!!!, because if it had been that way, I wouldn't have gotten a 230 on my PSAT diagnostic test. To the least of your knowledge, I actually accept advice from those who are above me. My questions are not ******ed, no matter what you may say, because those I question actually know why I am questioning them. I accepted your advice kindly until you started addressing me as if I am some idiot, even if you're older, you don't have to look down on me.Thank you for the life lessons, if you just look back at my age you wouldn't be telling me these things. You may say i am immature but I am not, I own my mind, and I have certain reasons for saying what I say. I am not ungrateful, people may have to be dealt with in different ways.

Thank you for your assistance.

I'd like for you to point out where exactly I treated you as an idiot. Nowhere, that is until my very last post, did I seem condescending to you. If you're talking about me asking whether or not English is your first language and that may affect your reading comprehension somewhat, it was a legitimate question for me trying to understand why you continue to ask questions that's been answered NOT a means by which to slight you. If I was trying to slight you I wouldn't have phrased it as a question and would probably have said "you must not be a native English speaker cause your English sucks" but I didn't. But since you insist on it, we'll just drop this. However, answer me this: is English your first language?

Concerning your other points, I actually treated your questions seriously and answered them to the best of my knowledge until your snippy post. If you look past the part where you perceive as me insulting you, you will actually find sound advice. I'm asking you to consider questions that you may not have thought about but somehow I feel you either get lost in the perceived insult part or you just gloss over them and end up asking the same question again. Whatever though seems like you have this under control so I'll be seeing you
 
I was referring to other European countries. I just didn't want to give too much information about where I've been. 😉

stop bickering.

also,

the country in question is Ireland, as it is the only choice for someone who speaks English and wants to go to medical school abroad. Other EU countries' med schools are impossible to get into.



by the way, 46000 euros, is $59,349.20 U.S. dollars as of now.