US News and Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Didn't mean to imply it was in a rich area, moreso that it was a hot spot for applicants as it one of the more known hospitals around the area.

I do agree, although it may put me in a bit of a glass house situation, that certain areas have opened too many schools. However, the situation is what it is, and it's unlikely any of these new schools are going away, even when the myth of shortage is dead and gone and replaced by the common knowledge of a surplus. With that in mind, the most beneficial course of action I can take is to make sure that my own situation is as favorable as possible. I have pretty low expectations in life, it doesn't take much for me to be content, and somebody has to work out in the sticks. Basically, I'll go anywhere that will give me a steady position and a reasonable salary, and I'm optimistic that I can find that somewhere in WNY.

If you count floating at retail or per diem work at hospitals as a steady position, then you're all set. Ultimately, what is best for the profession will be best for you. Spock said it best: the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
 
Didn't mean to imply it was in a rich area, moreso that it was a hot spot for applicants as it one of the more known hospitals around the area.

I do agree, although it may put me in a bit of a glass house situation, that certain areas have opened too many schools. However, the situation is what it is, and it's unlikely any of these new schools are going away, even when the myth of shortage is dead and gone and replaced by the common knowledge of a surplus. With that in mind, the most beneficial course of action I can take is to make sure that my own situation is as favorable as possible. I have pretty low expectations in life, it doesn't take much for me to be content, and somebody has to work out in the sticks. Basically, I'll go anywhere that will give me a steady position and a reasonable salary, and I'm optimistic that I can find that somewhere in WNY.

I can certainly appreciate your enthusiasm and optimism regarding this issue, but not addressing an issue becase you don't feel it directly affects you, specifically in this case, is the wrong stance to take. This is a real problem for the entire profession and will ultimately dictate your "importance". I'm not saying it is not self-correcting as you stated, perhaps it is, but the correction will not come until many people are dealing with this, including yourself. Something you might learn when you graduate is that, in a lot of cases, pharmacy is underappreciated and often one of the first places looked at when cutting the budget is concerned particularly in the clinical setting.

If we dont stand together as a profession on these issues it will be the end of us. There are many physicians who will say that clinical pharmacists play an essential role in making therapeutic recommendations, but when its between your job and their job, they wont be so quick to speak up and I dont blame them. It is this same dissection in our profession that has put us in this underappreciated situation. For some reason we allow ourselves to be taken advantage of on a daily basis and if we dont stand together and start making things change it never will. "If you keep doing what you did, you'll keep getting what you got"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad