Us news ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who has the premium edition of the US News Ranking, do you find it at all useful in selecting school?

Also is it correct to say that a new edition is coming out on April 23rd? And you get a year worth? What is up with all this "sold out" business on their website?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For people who has the premium edition of the US News Ranking, do you find it at all useful in selecting school?

Also is it correct to say that a new edition is coming out on April 23rd? And you get a year worth? What is up with all this "sold out" business on their website?

Only top 5 schools grant MDs.

To provide a legitimate answer, I think there is one useful statistic that is not found in the MSAR.

The MSAR gives you the total number of applicants, along with the number of people who ended up matriculating. It does not provide data on the number of people who interviewed, nor the number of people actually accepted, only the number who ended up matriculating. The MSAR does however, give info on racial/sex breakdowns etc if you care about that.

The US News provides these two data (number of people interviewing and number accepted), which I think can be a useful/helpful/interesting statistic. The combination of data from the MSAR and US News gives you about as much info you will ever get statistics wise.

There is ranking data for residency directors about prestige etc, but mind you, look into their methodology and you will see that these data are taken from a survey of people with about a 40% response rate, so take that data as you will. This is further convoluted by the milions of factors that go into a subjective ranking like a survey, and how much of an effect that really has on your education/eventual residency placement blah blah blah this has been discussed on this forum ad nauseum.

But yes, there are some useful things to be found on US News. Worth your money? You decide

When you get a subscription, you get access until the new one comes out. So technically if they let you buy anything now, you'll pay the full subscription, even though you'll be able to access it for only a week, since the new one comes out 4/23.

Other people may disagree, but I thought the MSAR sucked big time. You can get most of the information it has from the school's website. Why would I give a crap about how many people matriculated if I don't know how many were initially accepted? At least US news tells you how many people were accepted for OOS, and for instate, so you can estimate your chances.

When you get a subscription, you get access until the new one comes out. So technically if they let you buy anything now, you'll pay the full subscription, even though you'll be able to access it for only a week, since the new one comes out 4/23.

Other people may disagree, but I thought the MSAR sucked big time. You can get most of the information it has from the school's website. Why would I give a crap about how many people matriculated if I don't know how many were initially accepted? At least US news tells you how many people were accepted for OOS, and for instate, so you can estimate your chances.

I agree. I used USNews extensively in my search due to their far more useful statistical info. You don't have to dwell on the rankings, you can just read the stats they have. They even break it down based on race, gender, IS/OOS, etc. Way more useful than the MSAR's info, in my opinion.

Where is the best place to find the cost of tuition? Is US new accurate? It is taking me forever to find tuition of each school's individual site. Also how do I know which college will allow me to become in state after a year?

Where is the best place to find the cost of tuition? Is US new accurate? It is taking me forever to find tuition of each school's individual site. Also how do I know which college will allow me to become in state after a year?

USnews looks accurate for the one school I know tuition for.

I know Ohio and New York schools allow you to get instate residency after a year. Apprarently it's a pretty easy process for OH, not sure how easy it is for NY.

So how do I know which school allows you to become in state after a year? It seems like no one display that on their webpage...but I know in fact it does happen from time to time.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbdown:

Sooooooooooooooooooooo...ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...yeah...I mean NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to your answer

ohhhhhh man I so want to just be mean today....but i can't...what would be the point?

So how do I know which school allows you to become in state after a year? It seems like no one display that on their webpage...but I know in fact it does happen from time to time.

MSAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and most state schools have some type of in-state student preference