US Psychology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBlaze

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I was just curious as to what the (general) educational standards for a psychologist in the US were?

In Australia it's a 4yr undergraduate degree in psychology (or 3yr equiv. with a 4th year in psyc). That allows for conditional registration as a psychologist. To get full registration you either have to do 2yrs of supervised practice or undertake a 2yr masters degree in psychology.

Always curious about standards in other countries....

David

Members don't see this ad.

Well is the USA it is pretty uniformly required to have a doctorate in psychology as your basic training. Then one must acquire 3000 or more hours of supervised clinical training in a residency or other post-doctoral training program to be eligible for a license. Once the hours are complete, one must pass the national exam (EPPP), and then in most cases pass either an oral exam or some other exam (state by state) to get a license.
Most doctorate programs are about 4 yrs post bachelors training.

:)

Hello,

I'm from the US and have my BA from the US, but I'm here in Australia now doing a full D.Psych (Psy.D.) degree in Melbourne. Does anyone have any general information on the procedure of obtaining a license with an international doctorate for when I move back to the US? Or does this depend on which state I go back to?

My course incorporates a certain number of supervised placement hours, and I will be staying in Australia for a bit after I finish the degree to gain some further work experience. I have contacted the APA but they have not been very helpful.

Thanks much!

Cheers,
Viv

Members don't see this ad :)
Leovivs said:
Hello,

I'm from the US and have my BA from the US, but I'm here in Australia now doing a full D.Psych (Psy.D.) degree in Melbourne. Does anyone have any general information on the procedure of obtaining a license with an international doctorate for when I move back to the US? Or does this depend on which state I go back to?

My course incorporates a certain number of supervised placement hours, and I will be staying in Australia for a bit after I finish the degree to gain some further work experience. I have contacted the APA but they have not been very helpful.

Thanks much!

Cheers,
Viv

The APA is an useless group.

What state are you interested in. Then write to them and they will send you the information. It might be on the web.

I know only California. Why the PsyD and not a Ph.D?

CU H>

Hi David. I highly recommend the article "Psychological science around the world" by Mark M. Rosenzweig. It appeared in American Psychologist (issue 47, 1992).

It compares training requirements in various countries, and also gives interesting details such as local research specialties (zen psychology in Japan, behavioral analysis in Columbia, etc.)

winnie said:
Hi David. I highly recommend the article "Psychological science around the world" by Mark M. Rosenzweig. It appeared in American Psychologist (issue 47, 1992).

It compares training requirements in various countries, and also gives interesting details such as local research specialties (zen psychology in Japan, behavioral analysis in Columbia, etc.)

Thanks winnie. Asked my library for a copy and I had it within an hour! It was an interesting read.

David