US Public Health Service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdBR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know any pharmacists that work for the US Public Health Service? Or anyone done a JR COSTEP internship?

Members don't see this ad.

i guess i should have phrased my question differently. Could anyone give me any information on a typical day of a pharmacist working for the USPHS? or any input on the JR COSTEP?

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess i should have phrased my question differently. Could anyone give me any information on a typical day of a pharmacist working for the USPHS? or any input on the JR COSTEP?

There already have been some pretty recent discussions on Public health service and Indian Health Services. there are links in the previous threads.

The search function is your friend.

I was in the PHS and it is a wonderful experience. I encourage anyone with interest to find out more info and see if its a good fit for you. If my SO wasn't in CA I'd prob still be in.
There is certainly no typical day. It really depends on what department you are in (CDC, IHS, etc) and then where you work. I worked under IHS at a medical center in NM. My days were quite variable. One morning I could be doing anticoag clinic in the morning and then counseling patients when they pick up meds in the afternoon, the next day I could be at the elementary school administering flu vaccines, and the following day I could be deployed to Florida for a hurricane. So, even within a single job there is a lot of variability. Feel free to PM me for any specific questions.

I was in the PHS and it is a wonderful experience. I encourage anyone with interest to find out more info and see if its a good fit for you. If my SO wasn't in CA I'd prob still be in.
There is certainly no typical day. It really depends on what department you are in (CDC, IHS, etc) and then where you work. I worked under IHS at a medical center in NM. My days were quite variable. One morning I could be doing anticoag clinic in the morning and then counseling patients when they pick up meds in the afternoon, the next day I could be at the elementary school administering flu vaccines, and the following day I could be deployed to Florida for a hurricane. So, even within a single job there is a lot of variability. Feel free to PM me for any specific questions.
were there no prison jobs in CA for you? Is the prison system a whole lot different than the IHS?

Thinking of jumping ship??? I am looking into the IHS for residency right now in addition to the military...

~above~
no way dude...I just have trouble with my PT/Weight and some days it could be frustrating as hell. I would have the same problems with the PHS too...

Just so you know, the Army offers some great PGY1 Residencies...

no way dude...I just have trouble with my PT/Weight and some days it could be frustrating as hell. I would have the same problems with the PHS too...

Just so you know, the Army offers some great PGY1 Residencies...

I was wondering why you would have the same problems with PHS. I used my google magic to find this link.

http://dcp.psc.gov/PDF_docs/PHS-7044.pdf

I didn't know PHS was that serious about physical standards. I know health professionals are suppose to be the role models for health, but how much emphasis do they place on a PHS officer's fitness?

Will having seasonal asthma affect anything?

I was wondering why you would have the same problems with PHS. I used my google magic to find this link.

http://dcp.psc.gov/PDF_docs/PHS-7044.pdf

I didn't know PHS was that serious about physical standards. I know health professionals are suppose to be the role models for health, but how much emphasis do they place on a PHS officer's fitness?

Will having seasonal asthma affect anything?

I've been looking for that form! Thanks for sharing that!

To answer your question, yes they are serious about physical standards. They arn't as serious as the military, but you still have to perform the 1.5 mile run, the situps and whatever a side bridge is (military does pushups). You also have to meet hight and weight requirements and if you don't (which I never will), you have to pass a tape test, which is just a simple measurement of your neck and waist.

You might also want this link that has the cutoffs and level rankings for each exercise.

http://ccrf.hhs.gov/ccrf/physical.htm#Standards

Every pharmacy person on SDN who has done PHS (specifically IHS) seems to love it. Being young and single, I think it would be a great fit for me. It's a progressive practice for pharmacists and you get a unique setting.

Ya, young and single sounds like a good fit for IHS. Enjoying the outdoors and rural areas helps too. I hope to get a chance to do a clerkship 4th year at an IHS site to get a 1st hand look at what they are all about.