US Rheumatologist relocating to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Successor12

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello
I do have a Canadian PR. US trained for both IM and an additional one year fellowship and two years Rheumatology fellowship. My goal is to do outpatient Rheumatology in Canada. Location is flexible. Would rather go with the most straight forward province as far as licensure process goes. Already submitted my ACGME accredited 6 years of US training to RCPSC and waiting for a decision by end of fall.

My questions
How to proceed from here on?
Easiest province to practice in for someone with my background?
How much do outpatient Rheumatologists make? P.S I dont mind to go rural?
How would you compare that income to the US? Tax?
How is Rheumatology practice different between the two countries?

Appreciate ANY insight

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Successor 12,

I am in a similar boat. (US-trained rheumatologist, moving to Canada).
Have you made any progress?
Will RCPSC accept the US training as an equivalent for eligibility for certification?
Where should I begin the process?

Thanks
 
Hi Successor 12,

I am in a similar boat. (US-trained rheumatologist, moving to Canada).
Have you made any progress?
Will RCPSC accept the US training as an equivalent for eligibility for certification?
Where should I begin the process?

Thanks
My understanding is you have to take the RCPSC exam for IM. The American Rheum board would be equivalent to the Canadian. However still not sure about job market salary...etc

And information are so minimal as you can see!
What do you know?
I got my eligibility to take IM board I just need to register so far. But would have loved to know more about the situation of Rheum in Canada up north!
Share anything you know please...
 
I have not found much on the internet.
Ontario has a pathway 3/4 for US-trained physicians. You can check that out.
Do you know if RCPSC accepts 3 years of IM training in the US since the Canadian equivalent is 4 years?