USA Flex DPT Fall 2014 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrePT Shadburn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure all of my fellow applicants are excited, nervous, and have questions about the admissions process! Post questions and inquiries here and we will all work together to help fill the gaps. I live in Atlanta, GA currently, work at Shepherd Center as a PT Aid, and have applied to the 2014 Fall Flex DPT program, hence the title! I received an email from admissions saying that invites will be sent around mid April, which is different from the full-time program's process. Well, good luck everyone! Any details on the Flex program rhetoric would be welcomed here as well! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for starting the thread! I applied for Flex in CA. When did they tell you about mid April(((((((? They told me (probably a month ago) we would hear from them not earlier than mid March. Now it sounds like we will need to wait even longer:(.

I received an email from Erin at the admissions department on the 31st of January. Erin stated that no date had been set yet, but that the projection appeared to be sometime in April for invitations to be sent out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know why it is taking so long? People on other threads say that they already received dates for their interviews. I am not sure if they put priority on the regular program and do interviews with the flex students at a later date. I applied to San Marcos so if anyone hears anything please let me know. I will contact them tomorrow and keep everyone posted.

Yes Nathan, thw Flex program is different from the full time program. Decisions on the Flex program will not be made until April so don't stress brother.

PrePT - do you know why it is soooo much later? Which location did u apply to?

I don't know the reasoning behind their schedule, but I applied to the Saint Augustine, FL location. Which program did you apply for, Nathan?

I don't know the reasoning behind their schedule, but I applied to the Saint Augustine, FL location. Which program did you apply for, Nathan?

I also applied for Florida Flex. After seeing your post I emailed the FL campus to get an idea when to be expecting a response since I was originally told late Feb- Early March. Yesterday I received an email back saying they are working on processing applications still and are hoping to get invites out by mid March. I really hope it doesnt end up being more like April, I applied in October............

Reactions: 1 user
Does everyones application say that they are still undergoing a transcript evaluation? I applied to Flex DPT at San Marcos

"Yes. I believe the Flex DPT CA interviews are scheduled for March 28th. The campus based interviews are scheduled for February 28th in FL and March 7th in CA. The Flex students have not been notified on either campus yet. Only the campus based students have been notified and are still being notified. I would say give it another week or two." - This was written in response to an email i just sent to admissions.

Does everyones application say that they are still undergoing a transcript evaluation? I applied to Flex DPT at San Marcos
I have had status "under Admission committee review" for a while (probably for 1.5 month). I also applied to San Marcos. I believe they received my updated fall transcripts around Dec 20.

I'm sure all of my fellow applicants are excited, nervous, and have questions about the admissions process! Post questions and inquiries here and we will all work together to help fill the gaps. I live in Atlanta, GA currently, work at Shepherd Center as a PT Aid, and have applied to the 2014 Fall Flex DPT program, hence the title! I received an email from admissions saying that invites will be sent around mid April, which is different from the full-time program's process. Well, good luck everyone! Any details on the Flex program rhetoric would be welcomed here as well! :)

what department do you work as an Aids at Shepherd? I observed there a month back and also my roommate and future summer 14 USA student works there as an aide too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im on the 3rd floor SCI NRN department. Its a great place to gain experience!

Im on the 3rd floor SCI NRN department. Its a great place to gain experience!

ah gotcha, I was on the Locomotor Rehab floor, I really enjoyed it. I am actually starting in May at USA too, best of luck with the application process for St. Augustine.

Would you mind to post you stats? I would like to see where I stand:).

My application status says: You application is undergoing a transcript evaluation. Why do others say "under Admission committee review"?

Overall 3.48, Last 45 3.8, Pre 3.7 GRE 296
3 different sites of observation hours (inpatient, outpatient, and working with disabled students) approx. 500 hours

Could you guys answer a question for me? Are you all planning to move to the location of the campus of your choice to do the program? I'm currently accepted to a traditional program....i withdrew my application at Nova (similar idea to USA) largely because I had to redo more pre reqs and my friends/family thought I was crazy to consider a hybrid program. However, I'm starting to have second thoughts. I love distance learning and it fits my non traditional background. I didn't ever really look into USA because it sounded like more travel than was reasonable. But maybe I didn't research enough. Thank you! Best of luck with your apps!

I will actually be living in Atlanta, riding Megabus down to Jacksonville and connecting to the public transport in St Augustine. I am married with two very young children and a mortgage, so I will be working throughout the week here in Georgia.

^^^me too (on family and mortgage).

I
Could you guys answer a question for me? Are you all planning to move to the location of the campus of your choice to do the program? I'm currently accepted to a traditional program....i withdrew my application at Nova (similar idea to USA) largely because I had to redo more pre reqs and my friends/family thought I was crazy to consider a hybrid program. However, I'm starting to have second thoughts. I love distance learning and it fits my non traditional background. I didn't ever really look into USA because it sounded like more travel than was reasonable. But maybe I didn't research enough. Thank you! Best of luck with your apps!
Like you, I did not consider USA for the location reason! Then I found out that they have Flex program there - that is why I applied. I live in LA and I am not going to move to San Marcos if I get accepted. I will have to drive about 70-80 miles one way to get to USA. I hate long driving, but I think it will be very doable (even for me!) twice a week on weekends when traffic is light (at least in the morning). I did check public transportation, but that would be extremely inconvenient and more expensive than driving... Besides, sitting at lectures is not my first choice either:). I do prefer to learn on my own.

Last edited:
I believe it ends up being more like every other weekend from what I was reading so not bad at all in my opinion

Thanks so much for info. Unfortunately I live smack dab in the middle of the country Nebraska. When I talked to Nova, they said because they only meet once per month a lot of people fly in from other states. So I wasn't sure if USA was the same. But I am thinking 2 times a month would be extreme for me. Darn darn darn. I wish there were more options like these 2 programs.

Yeah, flying in twice a month sounds tooooo much:(.

easb- i am in the same situation. i live in oc so if we both get accepted im sure we could work out a carpool to save on gas and study on the way down to class

easb- i am in the same situation. i live in oc so if we both get accepted im sure we could work out a carpool to save on gas and study on the way down to class
That's awesome!!! I am moving to OC next week!!! I hope we will both get accepted:).

I emailed Erika Forrest in Admissions before discovering this forum (since the website said 6-8 weeks after the deadline to hear from them), and on 2/25, she said that they were hoping to "get decisions out within a week or two." And apologized that she couldn't be more specific. I applied to the FL campus. Is it a different time frame for each campus? I might lose my mind if I have to wait until mid-April to hear anything.

I emailed Erika Forrest in Admissions before discovering this forum (since the website said 6-8 weeks after the deadline to hear from them), and on 2/25, she said that they were hoping to "get decisions out within a week or two." And apologized that she couldn't be more specific. I applied to the FL campus. Is it a different time frame for each campus? I might lose my mind if I have to wait until mid-April to hear anything.
Thank you for the update! I am looking forward to hearing from them!!!
Based on other USA threads here, interviews can be 1 week apart on different campuses.

Are all interviews done in person? Or do they consider telecommunication interviews under certain circumstances?

I would not think they would do many phone interviews, if any at all. However, I do not know for sure but I would I fly across the country to attempt to secure a position as a student there.

I would too, but I thought we would be interviewing sooner. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant. I don't think my doctor would approve if I drove 16 hours away for very much longer...

Well I would hope they would make an exception for you! Congratulations! My wife and I have our second child due in June!

Got interview invitation by email for San Marcos, March 28!!! It says it was sent on Friday. I cannot confirm my appointment, though:(. I click on the link and the page does not open... Could you guys confirm your appointments??????

I got invitation too:). I had no problem with my link- just clicked and sent email confirming.

CONGRATS on your interview invites. My application just changed to under admissions reviews, so hopefully I will be at the interview on the 28th.

My status has also changed to Under Review. It seems that the admissions committee is getting around to the Flex candidates!

I just received an invitation to St Augustine's interview on Saturday April 5th! Has anyone else received invites thus far???

Reactions: 1 users
I just received an invite to FL campus April 5th as well!!!!
Congrats!!

I just received an invitation to St Augustine's interview on Saturday April 5th! Has anyone else received invites thus far???

Reactions: 1 users
I also received an invite for the 5th, which is fantastic, but they let me know that they were not going to be offering Skype interviews, which is less fantastic. I hope I will be there.

My application is still under review. Is anyone elses?

How did everyones interview go at San Marcos? How many people were there? Did they ask you questions that were similar to those on previous posts?

How did everyones interview go at San Marcos? How many people were there? Did they ask you questions that were similar to those on previous posts?
The questions were right from the previous posts! There were only 9 people at the interview. So I assume they will have another interview (the class cannot be only 9 people even if each of us gets accepted, right?). I hope you will get your invite soon!

The questions were right from the previous posts! There were only 9 people at the interview. So I assume they will have another interview (the class cannot be only 9 people even if each of us gets accepted, right?). I hope you will get your invite soon!
Well I was looking at the Facebook page the other day and it appeared that there were only about 8 or 9 students at the pining ceremony for the Flex program in Florida. So maybe it is a small class size? I was wondering about that.... maybe they do hold multiple interviews and maybe not everyone attends the pinning ceremony. I don't know, good questions though.

Thanks for the info. When I went to the open house they said that the San Marcos campus accepts around 15 students for flex, but this is different for each campus. Admissions said that they would probably have another interview in late spring/summer, but I thought this answer was very vague.

easb,
how did the other people there perform in there interviews? Did you get any info from any other interviewees? Did they give you a time frame when you should hear back if you get accepted? I hope you get in!

Well I was looking at the Facebook page the other day and it appeared that there were only about 8 or 9 students at the pining ceremony for the Flex program in Florida. So maybe it is a small class size? I was wondering about that.... maybe they do hold multiple interviews and maybe not everyone attends the pinning ceremony. I don't know, good questions though.

As far as the Florida campus, I talked to Erika the other day and she said they "typically" hold 2 interview sessions for the FLEX program for about 30 spots. She didn't really go into much detail. But she did tell me that there were 30-35 applicants eligible for the first upcoming interview. I'm not sure how many of those are attending though. I'm guessing the second round of interviews is on a space available basis for those who didn't meet the initial deadline. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Congratulations to those who are attending the first interview date this weekend!

I have sent in my application to the Fall Flex program but my last transcripts took forever to be received and my application is now undergoing a transcript evaluation.

2 questions: How long does the "transcript evaluation" process take?

Does USA always have two interview dates for flex? or is the second interview only to fill any remaining spots?

I hope Ill have a chance to get into the second interview, I do not have the best GRE scores but overall my application is good in my opinion.

easb, how did the other people there perform in there interviews? Did you get any info from any other interviewees? Did they give you a time frame when you should hear back if you get accepted? I hope you get in![/QUOTE]

I was told earlier (maybe in the fall) that they usually have more than 1 interview for Flex and they interview less people at a time than for the full-time program. (I just did not think there would be only 9!) They did not say anything about another interview. We should hear back form them within 3 weeks. Then they give you 1 month to submit your deposit. Probably after that they will see who is going to attend USA and run another interview. Timewise, it makes sense that it would be in late spring or early summer then.
There were 3 applicants in each interview group. The 2 people who were with me did very well answering questions. I did not hear anyone complaining about the interview :).

I really enjoyed the interview yesterday for the Flex program. I was pretty nervous going in, but the vibe from the faculty was calm and positive, which put me at ease. My interviewer, Dr. Love, was awesome and talked to us like we were all friends. I feel like we did well, and I appreciated the fact that our interviewer wouldn't let us get by with short answers. Hopefully we all hear back from the University soon, I know we have up to three weeks to find out our results, but of course I am eager! I love the University and the area, Saint Augustine is beautiful and everyone in the city seems so nice and polite. I feel like we will have the best attention and tools at our disposal at USA. Plus the Fitness Center is fantastic! Thats where I will be releasing stress regularly! :) Everyone post your experiences and feedback so we can paint a larger picture and keep updating us on your status! Thanks guys, and good luck!