USA Flex DPT Fall 2014 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They consider all facets of your application. You need to be well rounded in all areas. If you are weak in one area they will consider where your strengths are. This is not an easy program nor is it easy to get in but it is a program that understands what makes a great student and future PT

Members don't see this ad.

They consider all facets of your application. You need to be well rounded in all areas. If you are weak in one area they will consider where your strengths are. This is not an easy program nor is it easy to get in but it is a program that understands what makes a great student and future PT

If I have a solid 3.0 GPA for my pre-requisite courses and my overall GPA is below a 3.0, do you think I have a chance to get admission into the flex DPT program? I already graduated from a 4 year university but I plan on re-taking about 4 classes because I got C's in them (these are part of the dpt pre-requisites). Then, my pre-requisite GPA will be about a 3.1/3.2. Do you think I will get admitted with this GPA? I want to know a sincere opinion because I want to put in my time into something that I can achieve.

Last edited:
What do your observation hours look like? Are they well rounded? Are they numerous? You may have a chance if you can get that GPA up closer to 3.0. I haven't discussed my classmates' stats so im not sure about that area but mine were above the minimums. Making mostly A's my last few semesters. I also retook classes and they consider that heavily, which helps you significantly! How was your GRE?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do your observation hours look like? Are they well rounded? Are they numerous? You may have a chance if you can get that GPA up closer to 3.0. I haven't discussed my classmates' stats so im not sure about that area but mine were above the minimums. Making mostly A's my last few semesters. I also retook classes and they consider that heavily, which helps you significantly! How was your GRE?

I just graduated in May 2014 and I am thinking about taking 2 years off before attempting to apply to the flex DPT program in Florida. In these two years, I will retake the 4 classes that I got C's in, and then my pre-requisite GPA will definitely be at least 3.1. I did not do any observation hours yet and did not take the GRE yet. I hope the next two years is enough time to get the observation hours in and take the GRE and do well in it. My overall cumulative GPA is a 2.75. Do you think if I retake the 4 classes and get higher grades than C's in them and apply that I will have a chance to get accepted into the flex DPT program? I had a rough 2 years in college and that's the reason for this cumulative GPA, it was because of a personal/family issue. Both before and after these rough two years of college, my GPA has been a 3.0. But the main point is that my cumulative GPA is not a 3.0.

I don't want to be in the situation where I am 26 and I didn't get accepted and now I'm back in square one looking at different career options all over again.

You'll just have to do your best in those classes, the GRE, and get as many hours as possible in various settings (I had over 1,000 at application time). Getting a job at a clinic is the best thing to do while volunteering at other places. Im 31 and this is my first trimester. You have your whole life don't freak out about time. I'm not the youngest in my class. If it's your dream like it is mine then you'll make it happen. Otherwise their are plenty of other careers out there.

You'll just have to do your best in those classes, the GRE, and get as many hours as possible in various settings (I had over 1,000 at application time). Getting a job at a clinic is the best thing to do while volunteering at other places. Im 31 and this is my first trimester. You have your whole life don't freak out about time. I'm not the youngest in my class. If it's your dream like it is mine then you'll make it happen. Otherwise their are plenty of other careers out there.

Even after I'm done retaking those 4 classes, if I start retaking other classes which are not in the pre-requisite section, I think that will increase my GPA but won't it take many classes to get to a 3.0 from what my current cumulative GPA is?

Why does the admissions requirement page only say that they look at pre-requisite GPA, and require the minimum pre-requisite GPA to be at least a 3.0? I do have that as my minimum GPA. It doesnt seem like the admissions requirements page mentions anything about cumulative and science GPA's.

Also, where did you retake your classes, at a university or a community college? If I retake some biology classes that I got C's in at a community college, now that I have already graduated as an undergraduate student, will my application be less competitive than others that will retake classes at a university? I am trying to ask if it will look bad for the admissions committee at USA's flex DPT department if I am retaking classes at a community college?

I will retake college biology 1, college chemistry 1, anatomy and physiology 1, anatomy and physiology 2, microbiology and biochemistry. I will add in abnormal psychology to this list. I will retake these because I got C's in them. I will retake them at a community college. Do you think I will get admitted into USA's Flex DPT program by proving that I can get better grades in these classes?

Do you think with the GPA I will have after retaking classes I will have a chance of acceptance to other schools like NOVA's hybrid DPT program (also a part time program)? Do you know any other part time or online dpt program options that are available with my GPA status?

Lastly, I just calculated what my pre-requisite GPA will be for the flex DPT program and it will be a 3.27 after I retake classes. Knowing this, and knowing my cumulative GPA (2.75), and knowing that I will try to do my best on the GRE and I will volunteer a lot, do you think I will get admitted at USA's flex DPT program? @PrePT Shadburn I will like to know your advice.

Last edited:
How are you all liking the Flex program so far? I was given the opportunity to reactivate my application for the second round of interviews for the flex spring semester after originally applying and subsequently being denied admission for the campus term. I am a little uneasy about these types of courses being instructed online so heavily, but I have taken several during my undergrad classes and was successful. Any info anyone could provide would be wonderful!!

Those in the Flex program, how do you like it? Have any of you managed it with a serious full time job. I currently work full time in bio-pharmaceutical clinical trials/drug development and am considering the flex program as I most likely can keep my job and salary until clinicals, so any info is appreciated.

PrePt

How is the Flex Program going? I am applying this October, and an curious how it is working out for you. Is there a cadaver lab? Also how often are you on campus for lab/classes?
Thank you.. I hope its going well!

I would too, but I thought we would be interviewing sooner. I am currently 30 weeks pregnant. I don't think my doctor would approve if I drove 16 hours away for very much longer...

Hi Coconut! I know this is any old thread, but I'm hoping you'll see my message.
I'm considering the Flex program at USA because I'm interested in getting my DPT while starting a family. Did you ultimately end up attending USA? What do you think of the program? How hard is it to juggle an infant/young child and attend school? If you had it to do over again, would you make the same choice?
Thank you so much!!