USAA Eligibility and HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student til 30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a HPSP student, and was just told by a USAA rep. that I am not eligible for an account with USAA. Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a HPSP student, and was just told by a USAA rep. that I am not eligible for an account with USAA. Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?
I am certain that is not the case. Once you take your oath you are a commissioned officer in the army/navy/af reserves and eligible for an account. I dont know the process to verify that as I had an acct pre-HPSP (maybe send them a copy of your oath or reserves ID)

There was another thread about this recently. When I joined HPSP I just went on their website and enrolled myself. Didn't furnish any documents. Didn't talk to a representative. Just classified myself as direct commission from civilian and input my entry date.

With anything pertaining to HPSP, I always found people to be confused about my role in the army. I always avoided the discussion when I could. People find it hard to comprehend your IRR status being at the front end of your military career, or the fact that you're actually commissioned before you graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
With anything pertaining to HPSP, I always found people to be confused about my role in the army. I always avoided the discussion when I could. People find it hard to comprehend your IRR status being at the front end of your military career, or the fact that you're actually commissioned before you graduate.
I recall a fun conversation with a gate guard once, who was incredulous that the guy driving the car had been an O1 for the last 3 1/2 years. (We were MS4s doing a clerkship at a MTF.)

He just played along and said, "yeah, I'm a really bad officer ..." :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the replies. I just called a second time and was able to set up an account and save a couple hundred bucks. I think the first representative got confused because I am in the IRR but don't have a separation date. The second rep forwarded me to a membership person and that did the trick.

USAA should forward SDN some of their profit sharing for setting you straight and sending you back. :) hooray for the forum!

i was able to join as an ROTC cadet. so it's not *that* exclusive, lol.

--your friendly neighborhood USAA since 1996 caveman