USAR nurse looking at USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CindyLieu

Absolutely insane, and I’m ok with that
Reaction score
Hello

I’m a ways off before applying but I’m looking at USUHS and have been having difficulty finding the answers that I’m looking for. I have spoken with an AMEDD recruiter and have sent out a couple emails but nothing as of yet.

1. I’m currently an O-2in the Army Reserve Nurse Corps. It is my understanding that upon acceptance to USUHS, I would down rank to O-1 but still be paid at the O-2 level with corresponding time in, is that correct?
2. Once I finish residency, I would rank as an O-3 but would my time in be considered for pay or would it be calculated with zero time in?
3. On the site it states that I would need to get a letter of release from the reserves, does this mean I would still need to a choose a branch? I’m not interested in changing branches but the recruiter that I spoke to is under the impression that the letter of release would release me from the Army and I would have to select my 1st and 2nd choice branch and could end up in another branch. If that’s the case, is that a common occurrence?

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1. I know this is the case for active duty. I am not 100% sure if that also applies to reserves.
2. Your time in service while in the reserves will count towards pay. The retirement piece is different since you only do so many MUTAs per year. Your time in school doesn't count towards retirement until after you serve 20 years AD.

Reactions: 1 user
1. I know this is the case for active duty. I am not 100% sure if that also applies to reserves.

Yes I noticed that on the branch selection form. I called school but nobody quite knows and havent been able to direct me to someone who does.

I still have plenty of time to find out though!

Thank you for clarification on part 2!