USC 2009-2010 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So the 1500 hours required to sit for the license exam is all provided through USC's curriculum? That means you don't need to go out and find a job yourself (unless you need the $)?

Members don't see this ad.

So the 1500 hours required to sit for the license exam is all provided through USC's curriculum? That means you don't need to go out and find a job yourself (unless you need the $)?

Didn't used to be that way, but yes. The office of experiential education requires you keep good records, but they will sign off on your hours to sit for licensure if you can show you've met the requirements through school. (not sure how strict it is since we're the first class they've offered to do this for.)

On the flipside, why would you not work? It's good for training, learning, and earning.

Has anyone heard anything from USC regarding waitlist or movement on the waitlist? I have been waitlisted but have not received word of movement. since.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I have a really great job opportunity for FIRST YEAR USC students. I work at Kaiser LAMC in the HIV/infectious disease pharmacy and my boss will be hiring a first year intern to start working as soon as you get your license, which is usually about mid September. We will be conducting interviews during the summer however, fairly soon.
If you know that you will have an exception or may have a problem getting your license due to a prior conviction, please do not apply because once you are hired you will be expected to get your license asap without any complications. Otherwise let me tell you about the position. It is a really great opportunity to work in a tertiary center in a specialized pharmacy setting. We make IVs, work outpatient, and rotate to other specialized settings like Onco, Anti-Coag, Amcare, etc. Not many other settings will give you this much experience. Many outpatient settings will have you counsel all day long for four years, so I do not need to stress how much experience you will gain. Please PM me your resume/CV if you would like to apply, and feel free to ask me any questions pertaining to the position or just USC Pharmacy school in general.

Hey everyone! I have a really great job opportunity for FIRST YEAR USC students. I work at Kaiser LAMC in the HIV/infectious disease pharmacy and my boss will be hiring a first year intern to start working as soon as you get your license, which is usually about mid September. We will be conducting interviews during the summer however, fairly soon.
If you know that you will have an exception or may have a problem getting your license due to a prior conviction, please do not apply because once you are hired you will be expected to get your license asap without any complications. Otherwise let me tell you about the position. It is a really great opportunity to work in a tertiary center in a specialized pharmacy setting. We make IVs, work outpatient, and rotate to other specialized settings like Onco, Anti-Coag, Amcare, etc. Not many other settings will give you this much experience. Many outpatient settings will have you counsel all day long for four years, so I do not need to stress how much experience you will gain. Please PM me your resume/CV if you would like to apply, and feel free to ask me any questions pertaining to the position or just USC Pharmacy school in general.

Due to overwhelming emails, my email address is [email protected]
Please send resumes/CVs to me there. Currently there is no job listing at the Kaiser website, but if you want to see a generic one, go to their employment page and look for an intern job. The website is usually very slow and my boss is a little more proactive.
The position is most likely M-Th after school till 5:15, at least that is what I worked. The hospital is Kaiser LAMC Sunset by West Hollywood. It is about 13 miles from school. You get out of school at 12, so you really have enough time to study after work. First year USC is easy. It is all review, and if you went to a UC you should have no problem keeping up with the material. The tests at USC are very fair.
Thirdly, if you are thinking about working in a hospital you should start looking for a job no later than December because everyone starts to look right before summer and I know a lot of people who can't find hospital jobs and have to settle for Rite-Aid. This position is really great I can not stress that enough. If you really have any questions that I did not answer you can still pm me but I think I answered most things people were asking.

just got my acceptance today in the mail! the packet notes that orientation is from the august 17-20 I was wondering if there are any alternate orientation dates because I was planning to be out of the country during this time. Thanks!

just got my acceptance today in the mail! the packet notes that orientation is from the august 17-20 I was wondering if there are any alternate orientation dates because I was planning to be out of the country during this time. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure attendance in mandatory for orientation on Tues and Wed. The white coat ceremony is on thursday, and we have more orientation on Fri.

I just don't see where the time would be to make up for orientation dates.

For those who registered for classes before, did you accept the "Tuition Refund Insurance"? According to it, they will refund 100% .. of tuition/fees if you get sick/injured to the point that you have to drop all classes. I probably may have to because I have a history of going into the hospital quite a few times...lol

Please check out the Advertisement section for 2 books (Biosystems and Calculations textbook) I'm selling which you'll need for your P1 year. PM me if you're interested.

See you guys in a month!

For those who registered for classes before, did you accept the "Tuition Refund Insurance"? According to it, they will refund 100% .. of tuition/fees if you get sick/injured to the point that you have to drop all classes. I probably may have to because I have a history of going into the hospital quite a few times...lol
I'm trying to save as much money as I can so I declined the offer. While I'm sure its possible to withdraw from the class due to sickness or injury reasons, I would personally ride it out.

Is there a list of books that we will need for the P1 year? Or someone who could recommend books we would actually need?

Amazon has that free Prime for students promotion going on, so I wanted to take advantage of that before classes actually start.

Just found out on Thursday that I've been accepted! Woohoo!!!! Looking forward to meeting you all!

email peter dean for an updated housing list (contact information of open apartments).

as for books, I recommend Health care delivery, biosystems, pharmaceutical calculations. people will give you different opinions on what you need, but you will benefit by at least having these 3 books.

Congrats! A fellow classmate is still looking for roommates. Join the FB group
"USC School of Pharmacy c/o 2014" and look under roommates/rent

I am already a member. I am still looking. Are you male/female?

Are you a female? I can forward you to someone who's looking for a roommate right now. $700, 3 BR, 2 bath. shared bath with another girl. I think there may be another room available in the house (2 guys, 1 girl, 4 BR, 2.5 bath) I'll be staying at for $480 but I'm not sure about that yet ....

Female, the classmate I am referring to is also a female. She has a 3bd apt in Alhambra. I saw her posting on the rent/roommate section posted this past weekend.