USC D1 AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrphanageCaretaker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quarantine has opened up some free time. I'll try to answer as much as I can. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

How’s the debt?

Edit: also how prestigious is USC?

Reactions: 4 users
How’s the debt?

Edit: also how prestigious is USC?

According to the ADEA 2019-2020, USC for 4 years (w/o interest) is $467k, just by living at home I save $88k so that lowers COA to $379k which is arguably average if not lower than average for COA of other schools. So the debt isn't horrible, but debt is obviously there like any other school in addition to interest.

Just by comparison, USC is ranked 50th/65th for most expensive on the ADEA 2019-2020, this includes COA + interest.

As for prestige? Here in SoCal USC is well-known and it holds up higher compared to other schools (anecdotal evidence). Outside of SoCal, there definitely is an extremely strong alumni network but I'm sure non-USC people will definitely consider other schools to be more prestigious. At the end of the day, school name doesn't matter too much unless let's say you practice in area X that has higher USC grads living there, they'd be more inclined to go to a dentist from their Alma mater.

With regards to the school itself I'd say we are being taught well (clinical skills are being consistently emphasized), PBL definitely takes some time getting used to, but you pick it up easily and get the hang of it. Professors are very chill, I have yet to come across anyone that isn't helpful or nice, administration is also extremely keen to any issues we have and they are very receptive of feedback. I can definitely say I'm happy I got into USC, compared to couple of my friends at UCLA, Western and NYU, we have it chill and the atmosphere is less strenuous. SIM lab was a mess with broken equipment but that's getting upgraded so facilities will definitely look much better. All in all, no complaints.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the ADEA 2019-2020, USC for 4 years (w/o interest) is $467k, just by living at home I save $88k so that lowers COA to $379k which is arguably average if not lower than average for COA of other schools. So the debt isn't horrible, but debt is obviously there like any other school in addition to interest.

Just by comparison, USC is ranked 50th/65th for most expensive on the ADEA 2019-2020, this includes COA + interest.

As for prestige? Here in SoCal USC is well-known and it holds up higher compared to other schools (anecdotal evidence). Outside of SoCal, there definitely is an extremely strong alumni network but I'm sure non-USC people will definitely consider other schools to be more prestigious. At the end of the day, school name doesn't matter too much unless let's say you practice in area X that has higher USC grads living there, they'd be more inclined to go to a dentist from their Alma mater.

With regards to the school itself I'd say we are being taught well (clinical skills are being consistently emphasized), PBL definitely takes some time getting used to, but you pick it up easily and get the hang of it. Professors are very chill, I have yet to come across anyone that isn't helpful or nice, administration is also extremely keen to any issues we have and they are very receptive of feedback. I can definitely say I'm happy I got into USC, compared to couple of my friends at UCLA, Western and NYU, we have it chill and the atmosphere is less strenuous. SIM lab was a mess with broken equipment but that's getting upgraded so facilities will definitely look much better. All in all, no complaints.

Living at home is awesome for living expenses that’s great you got to save so much there!

I’m skeptical of USC being ranked 50th in most expensive schools. I highly doubt this is correct. Looking at 2020-21, the estimated COA is 150k for the first year. All together, it’s well over 500k and that’s before any interest. I honestly could think of ten schools off the top of my head that are well under this mark and I’m sure there’s more. USC is most likely in the top ten of most expensive schools.

Does anyone place implants? What are the requirements like on crowns or molar endo?

Reactions: 1 user
Living at home is awesome for living expenses that’s great you got to save so much there!

I’m skeptical of USC being ranked 50th in most expensive schools. I highly doubt this is correct. Looking at 2020-21, the estimated COA is 150k for the first year. All together, it’s well over 500k and that’s before any interest. I honestly could think of ten schools off the top of my head that are well under this mark and I’m sure there’s more. USC is most likely in the top ten of most expensive schools.

Does anyone place implants? What are the requirements like on crowns or molar endo?

Edit: Sorry, I worded it wrong, USC is the 15th most expensive school according to the 19-20 book. Was late when I was typing last night, meant to say 15th most instead of 50/65th.
Sadly I don't know much about about clinical requirements and implants/crowns/endo, especially with Covid right now, school's locked up and I'm not sure when we'll see patients.

Reactions: 1 users