USC Fin Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thaliagoo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- for those of you going to USC, how much of your financial aid package was composed of loans (%-wise) and how much were grants?

I am trying to decide between USC and a U of Maryland, a relatively cheaper school. If you know the two schools and have something to say, say it here!

The deadline is approaching fast - :confused: - I love both schools. I don't what to do! I know that no matter which school I turn down, I will feel bad :(

Members don't see this ad.

Most people in the pharmacy school don't get grants or scholorships. Of course there are a few who do, but I think its a MUCH smaller % and allotment than undergraduates at USC. As far as I know most people are just on loans (30+K worth of government loans to cover tuition and many people like myself have private loans on top of that for living expenses).

Members don't see this ad :)
thaliagoo said:

Keep researching this though, I tried go give you what little I think I know about it, but maybe one of my classmates here (cough, Ilovepharmacy) can give you better information.

Well, it was a really hard decision but I decided to go with U Maryland mainly for 2 reasons. 1- USC is 9k more per year and 2- I have to take a summer course on Human Comm for USC, which is just silly. I realize that 9k isn't a lot once I start working, but I don't think USC is worth the difference.

The thing with USC is that it's in Cali and I wanna work in Cali as a pharmacist. But I think I can make that happen whether I go to school in Cali for not. ;)

thaliagoo said:
Well, it was a really hard decision but I decided to go with U Maryland mainly for 2 reasons. 1- USC is 9k more per year and 2- I have to take a summer course on Human Comm for USC, which is just silly. I realize that 9k isn't a lot once I start working, but I don't think USC is worth the difference.

The thing with USC is that it's in Cali and I wanna work in Cali as a pharmacist. But I think I can make that happen whether I go to school in Cali for not. ;)

One thing to keep in mind is, the board test in California is different from the rest of the country and I believe that they are not interchangable. But so as long you fulfill the requirements (which I think the major hurdle is the hours you have interned for), I think it's the same.

I was actually thinking about making that same decision (USC vs Maryland), but I've not gotten anything from Maryland yet, so meh.

eddavatar said:
One thing to keep in mind is, the board test in California is different from the rest of the country and I believe that they are not interchangable. But so as long you fulfill the requirements (which I think the major hurdle is the hours you have interned for), I think it's the same.

I was actually thinking about making that same decision (USC vs Maryland), but I've not gotten anything from Maryland yet, so meh.

Yeah, I actually posted a thread about this in regular pharmacy (not pre-pharm) and all the posts were really helpful. Basically, what I got was
1- I can compete for any residency in the country (ie CA) no matter where I get my degree
2- I can be licensed in whatever state as long as I take the necessary exam. It seems they're all the same except for the law section (which varies by state) and I can transfer my score.
3- I know USC has that whole "Trojan Family" business (aka a lot of networks) which is nice but I don't think finding a job is an impossible task.
4- It seems that it's common for people go to school in one state and find a job in another.

I was at the interview with you in MD. For what it's worth, I thought you were pretty good (at the discussion). What does AdCom know anyway?

thaliagoo said:
Yeah, I actually posted a thread about this in regular pharmacy (not pre-pharm) and all the posts were really helpful. Basically, what I got was
1- I can compete for any residency in the country (ie CA) no matter where I get my degree
2- I can be licensed in whatever state as long as I take the necessary exam. It seems they're all the same except for the law section (which varies by state) and I can transfer my score.
3- I know USC has that whole "Trojan Family" business (aka a lot of networks) which is nice but I don't think finding a job is an impossible task.
4- It seems that it's common for people go to school in one state and find a job in another.

I was at the interview with you in MD. For what it's worth, I thought you were pretty good (at the discussion). What does AdCom know anyway?

Heh. I'm truely suspecting that my letter's lost in mail. Either that or my parents are hiding my letter to keep me in Cali, lol. But either way, I've gotten nothing yet.

Double Post D=, Sorry.

The cost of tuition should not be a deciding factor in what school you want to go to. Once you start working as a pharmacist you can easily pay your loans over a few years.

Tarutaru said:
The cost of tuition should not be a deciding factor in what school you want to go to. Once you start working as a pharmacist you can easily pay your loans over a few years.

Yeah, that's partly true but I'll be working as a pharmacist anyways and in the end, I'll be in 35k more debt at USC. It's just not worth the difference to me and again, it's only part of the decision.