Financial Aid Packages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmsophiat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening,
I just got accepted into a pharmacy school and I can stop thinking about how to pay. Can you please say what your award was and how much your tuition was. This will help a lot of people like me thinking about how to pay. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Post 9-11 GI Bill + Vocational Rehabilitation.

These are not awards but entitlements for serving 3 years or more in the armed services (GI Bill) and being injured due to military service (Voc Rehab).

I’ve been accepted to an accelerated 3 yr program that’s also a private school. Tuition alone is ~ $47k each year. My GI Bill coupled with what is called the yellow ribbon program offered and non-capped at my program will pay 100% of the cost. My cost of living allowance for housing is ~ $2,100 a month tax free in my account for 36 months of being a full time student while receiving an annual $1,000 book stipend for each of the 3 years.

I also have a military medical retirement (health insurance) pending and VA pension (disability rating) that I’ll receive tax free every month.

Yes...I’m an outlier and very few have my benefits. On top of scholarships, I’d consider working IHS or uniformed services as a pharmacist to help payback student loans.

Or: If you wanna be “cool” and jump out of blackhawks and run with heavy gear and tear up your awareness like I did, you can get a pension for the rest of your life as well ( hint: stay in an air conditioned building and avoid sacrificing your body)

Members don't see this ad :)
Student loans.

Which is why I don't recommend going to pharmacy school. You will be stuck in a ton of debt which you'll have a hard time paying off due to the pay and hour cuts.

Post 9-11 GI Bill + Vocational Rehabilitation.

These are not awards but entitlements for serving 3 years or more in the armed services (GI Bill) and being injured due to military service (Voc Rehab).
How long did u serve for.
I’ve been accepted to an accelerated 3 yr program that’s also a private school. Tuition alone is ~ $47k each year. My GI Bill coupled with what is called the yellow ribbon program offered and non-capped at my program will pay 100% of the cost. My cost of living allowance for housing is ~ $2,100 a month tax free in my account for 36 months of being a full time student while receiving an annual $1,000 book stipend for each of the 3 years.

I also have a military medical retirement (health insurance) pending and VA pension (disability rating) that I’ll receive tax free every month.

Yes...I’m an outlier and very few have my benefits. On top of scholarships, I’d consider working IHS or uniformed services as a pharmacist to help payback student loans.

Or: If you wanna be “cool” and jump out of blackhawks and run with heavy gear and tear up your awareness like I did, you can get a pension for the rest of your life as well ( hint: stay in an air conditioned building and avoid sacrificing your body)

Currently still active duty but of course, that’ll change by the time school roles around. For anyone to qualify for 100% of GI Bill you’d have to serve at least 3 years AD (with few exceptions) if that’s what your question was geared towards.

Not recruiting by any means, but during your program you can fill out a packet and if successful, land a minimal 3 year obligation in the uniformed services in exchange of 120k of student loans forgiven. Another avenue to consider is working with Indian Health Service with 20k signing bonus every year you work plus having loans forgiven without a tax bomb when signed up under PSLF for 120 consecutive months.

Both of these avenues are great plans to alleviate debt but come with some sacrifice (ie lower wages in undesirable locations with IHS or long hours and politics in military). Other than huge scholarships that are rare these days, you’ll have to take on loans and hope you beat saturation with full time wages to help tackle your debt.

Currently still active duty but of course, that’ll change by the time school roles around. For anyone to qualify for 100% of GI Bill you’d have to serve at least 3 years AD (with few exceptions) if that’s what your question was geared towards.

Not recruiting by any means, but during your program you can fill out a packet and if successful, land a minimal 3 year obligation in the uniformed services in exchange of 120k of student loans forgiven. Another avenue to consider is working with Indian Health Service with 20k signing bonus every year you work plus having loans forgiven without a tax bomb when signed up under PSLF for 120 consecutive months.

Both of these avenues are great plans to alleviate debt but come with some sacrifice (ie lower wages in undesirable locations with IHS or long hours and politics in military). Other than huge scholarships that are rare these days, you’ll have to take on loans and hope you beat saturation with full time wages to help tackle your debt.
thanks for his info. i really appreciate it.