Usc Housing Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparklehkisses

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who got accepted to USC Pharmacy School do you plan on commuting or living somewhere close to campus? If your answer is close to capus, what area is recommended in terms of safety, closeness and price? Any ideas??

Members don't see this ad.

most of the students stay in surrounding cities such as alhambra, monterey park, south pasadena, glendale. these areas are pretty safe, and are within 15 minutes driving distance from campus. i live in alhambra, and i like it here. rent can range anywhere from 400 to over 600 a month. and more if you plan on living alone. hope this helps.

Monterey Hills, hands down (not the same as the city, Monterey Park). Its a tiny neighborhood on the border of Los Angeles and Alhambra, which consists of less than 5 streets. You don't even realize you're in LA when you're up here and its the closest and safest place. Takes most of us up 10 minutes to drive to school on surface streets. But all this does come with a price - 2b/2b can go from $1400+

Members don't see this ad :)
sparklehkisses said:
For those who got accepted to USC Pharmacy School do you plan on commuting or living somewhere close to campus? If your answer is close to capus, what area is recommended in terms of safety, closeness and price? Any ideas??

I'm a local and I'm pretty much having no option but to live w/ parents due to the pricy tuition to squeeze out more pennies. My house is in Rowland Heights, which is about 20-40 minutes away from the campus dependent on traffic. Housing should be pretty decently cheap around my area. My guess is about 800-1200 for an apartment depending on what kind of apartment you want, so it should be about 400-600 per room, i would guess.

In general, I would say the closer to downtown the pricier and more dangerous it gets. Area like Monetery Park, Alhambra and San Gabriel (aka asian areas) are probably your best bet in terms of proximity and price. Not to mention the cheap boba drinks and good late night food you can get around there.

I got my acceptance letter to USC... WOOT :D Is anyone here interested in having a roommate? I'd be happy to have roommates in my same class. Maybe we can get 3 or 4 together and rent a house. :love: It'll be one big happy family!

sparklehkisses said:

I'm moving back home to my parents house in Pasadena/Arcadia (exactly 12.6 miles from USC health campus). Going to be kind of wierd since I have been living on my own for three years... But I'll be quitting my job when I start in the fall, so that means no more money to pay rent. Oh well..At least I'll always have a nice hot meal when I get home from school, Just like the good ole days..

Tarutaru said:
I got my acceptance letter to USC... WOOT :D Is anyone here interested in having a roommate? I'd be happy to have roommates in my same class. Maybe we can get 3 or 4 together and rent a house. :love: It'll be one big happy family!
Not sure if ill be commuting or living close by to campus yet, but if i decide to live close by ...im so down to have roomies!! keep me updated as to what kind of deals you find.. :thumbup:

Baxter81 said:
I'm moving back home to my parents house in Pasadena/Arcadia (exactly 12.6 miles from USC health campus). Going to be kind of wierd since I have been living on my own for three years... But I'll be quitting my job when I start in the fall, so that means no more money to pay rent. Oh well..At least I'll always have a nice hot meal when I get home from school, Just like the good ole days..
how cool! where did you go for your undergrad? welcome back home :)

ilovepharmacy said:
Monterey Hills, hands down (not the same as the city, Monterey Park). Its a tiny neighborhood on the border of Los Angeles and Alhambra, which consists of less than 5 streets. You don't even realize you're in LA when you're up here and its the closest and safest place. Takes most of us up 10 minutes to drive to school on surface streets. But all this does come with a price - 2b/2b can go from $1400+
I have heard about monterey hills and how nice it is...do u think its wiser to just commute from a 30 minute (w/out traffic) distance...or just go ahead and look for a roomate to split the cost? :confused:

sparklehkisses said:
how cool! where did you go for your undergrad? welcome back home :)

Thanks!! I went to CSUF, and yourself?

sparklehkisses said:
I have heard about monterey hills and how nice it is...do u think its wiser to just commute from a 30 minute (w/out traffic) distance...or just go ahead and look for a roomate to split the cost? :confused:

I don't think anyone can really answer that for you. It all depends on your personal preference. I live in Monterey Hills too. I love the convenience of being close to school since we have to go there every day. However, I know money is an issue (cause it is for me too) and the prices here on the hill can be a bit pricey but for me it was worth it to be close to school and in a nice neighborhood.

Yeah, I agree.. it depends on the individual situation. Bu there are quite a few people in our class who have a long commute, so it is very feasible. The student that travels the furthest to get to school everyday lives out in oceanside - he takes the train in and out of union station everyday.

ilovepharmacy said:
Yeah, I agree.. it depends on the individual situation. Bu there are quite a few people in our class who have a long commute, so it is very feasible. The student that travels the furthest to get to school everyday lives out in oceanside - he takes the train in and out of union station everyday.

Man, that's extreme.

eddavatar said:
Man, that's extreme.

Yeah I know - and I had thought commuting from my parents' house in Walnut (kinda next door to Rowland Heights) would be end of life as I know it. :laugh: