USC vs UCSD for class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharma2022

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got admitted to both schools but I'm really lost between them. I have heard that USC is very disorganized in terms of the professors teaching the classes (Many resident students and PHD student teaching parts of a class with some that have barely understandable accent) Also I was told that frat politics and who you know dictate of you get previous year exam questions which I don't like as its really not the point of pharmacy school, you are here to learn. On the positive side you get the "USC" branding and good connections (not sure about the latter).

For UCSD it has a great program but kinda recent and is a pass/no pass system. I want to do residencies but don't know how that looks for residency programs, is it looked down upon. Lastly the tuition cost is much lower but again for USC it's the "USC" brand that you are paying for.

Any thoughts pleassssse!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I fell like I saw this thread some time before. and you already made your choice through what you say, right?

I fell like I saw this thread some time before. and you already made your choice through what you say, right?
I wish I made my mind. Both have good and bad. Anyone who has been to either school?

Members don't see this ad :)
reputation of a professional school means nothing as long as it's not notorious. you can see ppl in this forum who work in CA come from varies schools including some we may think "not so good" schools like Ca north state or KGI. So don't go to a professional school just because it's "famous". It's not BS or PhD program.
P/NP is lesser stressful, lower tuition is lesser stressful, close to a famous beach is attractive to me even you barely have time to enjoy it, smaller class means more interaction b/w students and more connection to each other.

I got admitted to both schools but I'm really lost between them. I have heard that USC is very disorganized in terms of the professors teaching the classes (Many resident students and PHD student teaching parts of a class with some that have barely understandable accent) Also I was told that frat politics and who you know dictate of you get previous year exam questions which I don't like as its really not the point of pharmacy school, you are here to learn. On the positive side you get the "USC" branding and good connections (not sure about the latter).

For UCSD it has a great program but kinda recent and is a pass/no pass system. I want to do residencies but don't know how that looks for residency programs, is it looked down upon. Lastly the tuition cost is much lower but again for USC it's the "USC" brand that you are paying for.

Any thoughts pleassssse!!!

Post your last sentence in the pharmacy forum and see what happens.

Never pay extra for “brand” name (sigh...) student DEBT will never trump prestige. When you go to a job interview you gonna buy a BMW to sell yourself?

Only “you” can sell yourself for a job and residency with your GPA, EC’s, research-publications, and multi-tasking skills. No school name (especially pharmacy) will do that for you. Go...to....cheapest....school.

Again : go...to....cheapest...school / stop branding yourself in a saturated market and cripple your autonomy.

No one cares about the "USC brand" in pharmacy enough to warrant the price difference. Both schools match a similar % of their applicants to residency programs.