USC Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lr_pharm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was recently accepted into USC . . . and am really excited about going there!:) My only concern is in regards to housing because I spent my undergrad years at home. So this will be my first time living on my own. :( I was wondering if someone would be able to give me advice as far as what most 1st year students do in terms of housing? I am so confused about what I should do :confused: and would really appreciate any words of advice. :D Thank you! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

I believe there is graduate housing on the University Park campus in the Parkside residence hall. There are also several university-owned apartments in the area. I've heard that other students commute from adjacent neighborhoods. I found the USC Housing website helpful while assessing my options these past few days... you might want to check it out.

I haven't had a chance to tour any of the residence halls, but Seaver is probably the most convenient. Taking the tram from UPC to HSC shouldn't be too bad (right?), and the university-owned apartments are all furnished and ideal for graduates.

Hopefully someone who has actually lived in the dorms or apartments can help us out....

Sukie, thank you. So you're in the same boat I am . . . Actually, I called USC and they said they will be sending us more info about housing. Like you said . . . hopefully in the meantime someone can give us some advice. See you in Fall 2004!:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't actually heard anything bad about Seaver...a lot of people from my class (1st year) either live in Seaver, around the area, or commute >30min everyday.

I would like to hear more about dorm living too... is it possible to get a single room and are there kitchen facilities available? I feel I am older and well beyond the point of being able to live in a double dorm room....

Can anyone comment on living in the Mission Hills neighborhood? I have heard this is a popular place for USC health science students to live because the commute is easy. But I have also heard that it is a totally residential neighborhood and you have to drive to Pasadena or elsewhere if you want to buy groceries, eat out, etc. Also, what other neighborhoods/areas do people commute from? I am not very familiar with LA, but coming from San Francisco think I might rather live in West Hollywood, Los Feliz or Silverlake, which my LA friends have suggested might be more like the urban experience I am used to. How bad would the commute be from these area? Thanks for any advice.

Another question.... I was looking at the USC Housing site today at work and it seems like they start accepting housing applications in January. Should we fill it out and send it in now to get better housing? Also, how does that work if you decide to go to another school in the end?

I spoke with Donna in the health sciences campus housing office and she told me that a random lottery drawing will take place in early July for those wanting to live in the Seaver residence hall. So we can wait until we receive our housing packets to apply... no rush there.

However, if you want to live in any other housing... whether it be on the University Park campus or any of the university-owned housing, you should turn in the application (found on the USC Housing website) ASAP, as those spaces fill up pretty quickly.

One thing I was confused about... Mary in the main office told me that if we request housing on the health sciences campus (Seaver), we don't get consideration for other housing. She said we had to choose one or the other. What if we don't get housing in Seaver? Then we're on our own?? Maybe I should call Donna again for clarification....

Okay, I emailed Donna, and she wrote back saying that we should apply for UPC Housing now, and if we don't receive notice from them by June, we can request consideration for Seaver housing. If we choose to do this, we will be taken off the waiting list for UPC housing. So, bottom line, we must choose between the two by mid-June.

She also told me that there is no chance of first-years receiving a single room in Seaver because there are more people on the waiting list for singles than there are single rooms. So if you want your own room, you should apply for UPC housing ASAP.

Hope this helps... it sure helped me ;)

Thanks a lot, that is very helpful :) I'll get that right out. I wish I had known sooner and I would have done it in Jan. Oh well, hopefully it is not too late.

Seaver is fine. You're literally 50 ft from your classes when you come down the elevators. Those guys get to take naps bw classes in their own beds!!!!

Other SC housing options are living in the grad student housing near main campus. One of my friends lives over there and it's been fine. Not the poshest of housing set-ups, but i'm used to u-dub which had rad infrastructure.

Me and most peeps i know live in alhambra or monterey park. there's also gangs a ppl that live in glendale or pasadena. All are great areas to live in if you go to SC. You don't feel like you're living in LA. My housing sitch is bad-@ss, EC that we're looking for roomies, so if anyone is moving to LA soon lemme know.

I don't know enough bout living in silver lake as far as the commute. I've eatin over there that's about it.

Thank you all for your advice! I think I am leaning toward Seaver. Good luck and see you in Fall 2004! :)

Hey Tri, I am filling out the forms right now, and came across this question.

Please assign me to any residence hall space
_______ Please assign me to any suite-style space.
_______ Please assign me to any University Park apartment space.
_______ Please assign me to any North University Park apartment space.

I am supposed to number them in order of preference. Do you have any recommendation??????

P.S. Your help has been great! Thank you so much :)

South Pas!?!?! Hey, that's where i study. I have an LKS event in old towne on thursday. I go to the Ralphs on the corner of Garfield and Altlantic.

FYI: We can't apply for housing yet because our names have not been updated onto the main USC computer. Names of admitted students will be submitted in June. Xin and Jim in the admissions office said to wait until we receive housing information from them. They said not to worry about housing yet because no one will be able to apply for housing until that happens.

I know this because they just sent back my application and voided my check. So, don't waste your time applying yet. Just wait for admissions to send you info.

Originally posted by Sukie
FYI: We can't apply for housing yet because our names have not been updated onto the main USC computer. Names of admitted students will be submitted in June. Xin and Jim in the admissions office said to wait until we receive housing information from them. They said not to worry about housing yet because no one will be able to apply for housing until that happens.

I know this because they just sent back my application and voided my check. So, don't waste your time applying yet. Just wait for admissions to send you info.

Thanks for the info. I still have those forms sitting on my desk. Now I don't feel bad about not getting them done.