usc housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calgal03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you going to USC...are you planning to live on-campus or off-campus?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I plan on living on-campus . . . at least for the first year. ;)

on-campus for me too.

btw, where do most 1st year students live?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
also...what are the pros and cons of having a car?
i'm still debating whether or not to have one and would like the input of current as well as future pharmacy students.

i think i'm going to live on campus as well. i talked to some of my friends who go to usc and they say that having a car will allow you to go get food since the cafeteria closes at 4:30pm. also, the area around usc isn't that great...so if you have car you can go places.

i'm excited! i hope i'll get to meet you guys in the fall!

did you already apply for housing? which residence hall/apartments did you choose?

i like how seaver is so close but i don't like the idea of living in dorms again, with community bathrooms and sharing a room..etc.
i kinda want more privacy i guess.

i didn't turn in the housing thing yet...are we supposed to send it in? i vaguely remember someone posting awhile back that we shouldn't send in the housing deposit because usc will send it right back. did anyone try to send in the housing paperwork?

i think i'm chosing Seaver also. like you i'm not really looking forward to the lack of privacy and living in dorms again but i think it'll be a good experience. i think we'll be able to meet people outside of pharmacy.

i haven't turned it in either but i also want to get it in asap so i can get my first choice. i think it was sukie? who said somewhere that her app was returned...

sukie...can you update us with the housing situation?

btw, can someone add me to the Class of 2007/2008 sticky?

Thanks!

Originally posted by dunamis22
also...what are the pros and cons of having a car?
i'm still debating whether or not to have one and would like the input of current as well as future pharmacy students.

Pro: You can go anywhere you want, at any time
Con: You have to pay $100 more to park in the structure (that lot is assigned to people living in Seaver)

Hey guys, I'm so excited to be classmates with you this fall. Congratulations on getting accepted to USC!

About housing: the school will send you a housing booklet along with information about vaccination requirements and parking. There is an application inside the booklet which you'll have to fill out and mail in. Then they'll send you a receipt card that they've received it. I was told that you can apply for University Park housing or Seaver housing, but not both. So I just signed up for Seaver.

If you don't like the idea of living in a dorm and would like more privacy, there are several university-owned apartments in the area, which are detailed in the housing booklet. They tend to be pricey, so I would go for privately-owned apartments in Alhambra or Monterey Park, which are only about a 10- to 15-min drive away.

If you are interested in living with roommates in an apartment, the admissions office is putting together an email list of people that have vacancies in their apartment and need a roommate. You can call the admissions office and speak with Christina to be added to the list. She told me that she will try to send out the list in a couple of weeks.

dunamis22: I think having a car will be convenient in terms of getting around (food, rotations, part-time work, etc), but $328/semester for parking is ridiculous. That said, I will have a car if I decide to live on-campus.

Hi Fellow Future Trojans,

First of all, congrats on the acceptance! I'm planning to live on-campus (Seaver) if I can, but will settle for off-campus apts if thats the only thing available.

Sukie: Did you already received the housing booklet from USC? I only received the parking info and vaccination pamphlet.

I hope to see some of you at the Welcome Party on the 7th! Is anyone from SDN going?

SynergeticSteve,

Welcome, and congratulations on your acceptance! I will be at the Welcome Reception on April 7th. I'll see you there. I'm also a fellow Bruin!

Apparently, admissions did not have enough housing packets to send to everyone, so they did not send one to those living near Los Angeles. They assumed (incorrectly) that those students would not be needing housing. Since I live in LA, they did not send me housing info. Give the office a call, and they will send one out to you right away. I got mine the next day.

As far as Seaver is concerned, it's not first-come, first-served. They will have a random lottery in June/July for rooms in Seaver.

See you next Wednesday! Is anyone else going?

thank you sukie for the update.

btw, where did you guys hear about the april 7 thingy? i haven't read about it anywhere...

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah...where did you hear about the april 7th thing? i didn't get notified of it either?

They are having a Welcome Reception for new students on Wednesday, April 7th. The program is from 6 - 8:30 pm. There is an optional tour and financial aid workshop from 5 - 6 pm. The RSVP deadline was on Friday, but I'm sure they can make exceptions since you guys haven't received the letter yet. You can email Cristina at [email protected] or call the office at 323-442-1469 to RSVP for the event.

Hope to see you guys there :)

Be sure to get on top of your immunizations quickly. Jim gets really pissy when ppl lag on that and it can affect registration (although it didn't mess me up till 2nd semester when i had it completed). Your housing insurance doesn't cover your shots, so don't wait for them to kick in a the beginning of school.) Good luck to you all. Oh yeah, and get a car it helps. I know parking is expensive, but not getting anywhere in LA sucks @ss!!!!

if there are any current students here and have lived in Seaver, or University park campus apartments, please let us know how your experience has been, recommendations...etc. Also, are there any other advantages to living in Seaver as opposed to the University park campus apartments? (besides convenience factor)

And for those who live off campus (private landlord), how are rent prices in LA lately?

Sorry if this has been posted before.

thanks!

So where did you all end up living for your 1st year at USC and how do you like it?

hello? just trying to learn more about housing options at USC... please help. thanks!

Man... I hope they changed the mattresses.. in Seaver.. since our generation..

just a quick story.

Seaver is a 4 story building.. with a basement. But only 1 elevator. The elevator door is a 2 piece sliding door where it meets in the center. My buddy had a habit of drawing and marking inappropriate objects in the elevator. He would sometimes draw a large male genital... on the elevator door... And the next day, it was always cleaned off by some good samaritan...

One day he drew a large female genital on the door..which can be viewed once you're in the elevator and when the door closes.

The next day, my buddy and I were getting in the elevator...when the dorm manager lady introduced us to a nice looking young lady, her mom and her younger brother..looked to be in middle school... The young lady was an applicant to USC from Georgia...and they were visiting the campus..and checking out the dorms..

We all got in the elevator... and the elevator door closed and the drawing from previous day was still there. We heard the gasp... and I saw the manager's face turn white.. The silence was thick... they got off on the 3rd floor..and we got off on the 4th floor. We could barely make to our room...laughing our asses off..

Sadly, we never saw the young lady again.

And the elevator door received a fresh new coat of paint..few days later.

Seaver is just nasty. :laugh: I took one look at a friend's place a few years back and vowed NOT to live there.

If you have a car, rent/buy a place off campus in places like Monterey Hills, Alhambra, etc. and drive - thats what I'll be doing! :thumbup:

A car is a must if you go to USC unless you know someone who has a car, because the campus is miles away from any civilization. There is nothing around USC and taking the bus doesn't seem to be an option. In addition, the area around USC is pretty bad I couldn’t imagine walking around that area at 1:00 am.

I talked to some of my friends who go to usc and they said a lot of teh pharm students live in monterey Hills (btw monterey park and usc). They say the view is really nice, good clean area and only 10 min awy fr campus by normal streets. Anyone else looking at Monterey Hills??? let me know!!

Hi everyone/future classmates:

I just found last week that I got accepted into USC's class of 2009 and so now, like most people, I am concerned about housing as well. I've lived in the dorms for 2 years in college and I don't think I can go through it again. I plan on finding an apartment but I am not very familiar with the LA area. Can anyone make any recommendations/suggestions as to a nice city that's between USC and Fullerton to find housing in? Thanks so much in advance for any replies!