USC is rejecting post-interview!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

Eraserhead

This just really shows that admissions is highly dependent on clicking with that interviewer, oh, and agreeing with whatever he/she says!

FYI, the letter says Keck interviewed 600 which is much higher than the stats on US News, they are being more selective apparently.

Happy to have closure though.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure I understand...are you surprised that USC would reject people after interviewing them? Doesn't everyone?

Sorry about your rejection, though. :(

Um, USC supposedly accepts 70% post-interview. Have you heard of anyone else getting a rejection post-interview (this early anyway)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Eraserhead
Um, USC supposedly accepts 70% post-interview. Have you heard of anyone else getting a rejection post-interview (this early anyway)?

Two years ago Kustha got a rejection post-interview. But I'm sorry to hear that.

Originally posted by Jalby
Two years ago Kustha got a rejection post-interview. But I'm sorry to hear that.

Eh, I'm not upset or anything. Just still facinated by the outcome of stuff.

Thank goodness you have a whole stack of schools to fall back on, though. I'm sure others would die to be in your position...

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
Thank goodness you have a whole stack of schools to fall back on, though. I'm sure others would die to be in your position...

Yeah, I can't complain. I just thought I was a better fit for USC and the letter makes it sound like I was not a good fit. They said they hope I "click" somewhere else.

Originally posted by Eraserhead
Yeah, I can't complain. I just thought I was a better fit for USC and the letter makes it sound like I was not a good fit. They said they hope I "click" somewhere else.

They said they hope you click somewhere? That's dumb... How do they know if you feel you clicked or not? Strange :confused:

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
They said they hope you click somewhere? That's dumb... How do they know if you feel you clicked or not? Strange :confused:

Well I didn't click with the interviewers. That's for sure! But that's meaningless. Its OK if I really cared, I wouldn't have taken the letter straight to the trash! Moving on!

awww man, i'm so sorry....i didn't know keck rejected post interview, so i'm sorry i said it was probably a waitlist letter....but hey, you're into ucsd, and i'd give my right arm to be there....good luck there....it really is an awesome school, rumors are stupid...my bro graduated from ucsd.....it's a good school......

It's cool eraser, you got into other good schools anyway.:thumbup:

I wonder if they might have rejected you thinking - he has UCSD and is 99% likely to take that over USC. That way they have a better accepted/matriculated ratio.
I think admissions directors care about that ratio at some schools.

Just a thought

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by GreenT
I wonder if they might have rejected you thinking - he has UCSD and is 99% likely to take that over USC. That way they have a better accepted/matriculated ratio.

Just a thought

Nope that's what the waitlist is for.

sorry kev. youre still wonderful! congrats on all of your other great accepts!

im starting to get butterflies. this is scary.

Originally posted by docmemi
sorry kev. youre still wonderful! congrats on all of your other great accepts!

im starting to get butterflies. this is scary.

Weird as it sounds, I actually am pretty calm now. Maybe because I'm already familiar with the UCLA Med center and it's not gonna be a big change in environment from where I am now...

Originally posted by GreenT

Just a thought

Actually, you're right. USC cares tremendously about their matriculation rate. I think it has to do with the fact that they are the second best medical school in LA, while UCLA is the second from the worst.

Originally posted by Rose122
Actually, you're right. USC cares tremendously about their matriculation rate. I think it has to do with the fact that they are the second best medical school in LA, while UCLA is the second from the worst.

Interesting way of putting it :p
But does USC really do stuff like that? I mean many people may choose UCLA over USC, but that may not be the case for USC vs. UCSD b/c someone may prefer L.A. instead of San Diego.

I've always thought that the best source of information about a school is from someone applying to medical schools.

As for USC caring about matriculant rates, that would be for a most part no. I know for a fact that we havn't even looked at the list of who is accepted where, and I'm not sure we even take that into account. I do know that once we are talking about waitlisted people, the people who are most excited about coming to USC get's off the list first. I think this is more about getting a good student body then matriculation rate, but it does help the matriculant rate.

An example of a school that really cares about matriculant rate is Georgetown, who puts most student on a highly select list and then takes only the people who writes LOIs. We more than fill our list with acceptances before going to the people on the waitlist.

We more than fill our list with acceptances before going to the people on the waitlist.

More than fill? that doesn't sound good......but i noticed everything is happening a lot earlier this year with usc, rejections, waitlists, etc....i didn't get my waitlist letter until may last year....this is like a full two months earlier....i'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, because does that mean that they already have almost enough acceptances? and the waitlist letter said they interviewed 600 people this year....100 more than last year....that sucks, since that means we're competing against that many more people for the same number of spots...

i talked to one of the secretaries in the admissions office, and i asked her if there was a max number of loi's one should send, and she said probably no more than five...i sorta meekly told her i had already sent in five, and she laughed and said then i think they'll know you really want to go here....i was planning on sending another loi next month, but i don't want to seem pushy (i'm not used to this whole agressiveness thing...don't want to cross a line from letting them know i really really really want to be there to i wish she'd just leave us alone...:D )

Originally posted by camstah
More than fill? that doesn't sound good......but i noticed everything is happening a lot earlier this year with usc, rejections, waitlists, etc....i didn't get my waitlist letter until may last year....this is like a full two months earlier....i'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, because does that mean that they already have almost enough acceptances? and the waitlist letter said they interviewed 600 people this year....100 more than last year....that sucks, since that means we're competing against that many more people for the same number of spots...

i talked to one of the secretaries in the admissions office, and i asked her if there was a max number of loi's one should send, and she said probably no more than five...i sorta meekly told her i had already sent in five, and she laughed and said then i think they'll know you really want to go here....i was planning on sending another loi next month, but i don't want to seem pushy (i'm not used to this whole agressiveness thing...don't want to cross a line from letting them know i really really really want to be there to i wish she'd just leave us alone...:D )

are they also sending waitlist letters or just rejections?? has anyone called to see what is going on??

In the past week on this board, we have had one acceptance, one rejection, and one waitlist, so it looks like they are sending out all three.

As for the more than enough, it means we have offered enough acceptances to fill our class and then some.

Everything is happening earlier this year because last year they had to put on a conference right at this time and got backed up.

5 LOIs!!!!!! I thought one would get the point across. i mean how many times do you have to say that if accepted you will go there? ive been keeping the philosophy that the schools know that i want to go there from the rest of my application and just leaving them alone about it. maybe i sent one email to a couple of the schools ive been waitlisted at. it just seems that this LOI thing is getting out of hand. does anyone know of people that get in off the wating list without sending thank you letters to there interviewer, much less LOIs? am i just too laid back or is everyone else here to strung out?

Originally posted by mrcool
5 LOIs!!!!!! I thought one would get the point across. i mean how many times do you have to say that if accepted you will go there? ive been keeping the philosophy that the schools know that i want to go there from the rest of my application and just leaving them alone about it. maybe i sent one email to a couple of the schools ive been waitlisted at. it just seems that this LOI thing is getting out of hand. does anyone know of people that get in off the wating list without sending thank you letters to there interviewer, much less LOIs? am i just too laid back or is everyone else here to strung out?

I think five LOIs is out of hand if you don't have something new and important to say in each one.

For Cornell, I wrote three post-interview thank you LOIs to my interviewers and the dean. Then, when I decided it was my first choice I wrote them another letter. Recently I updated them with some new accomplishments and re-emphasized that I'll go there if accepted even at the last minute. I can't imagine writing two more letters, there's nothing left to say.

although my interviews were awesome at usc, ill prolly be waitlisted then (very very high on the list). part of me wants to get accepted since i love usc so much and part of me wants to be waitlisted cause then i wont have to live the rest of my life with the idea that i had to choose between usc and ucla. its too hard of a decision, esp bcz of my strong ties at usc with faculty and administration (deans). i wouldnt want to let anyone down. this way i have an excuse. and i kinda want to go meet new people and see another institution. i think this is all for the better. thoughts?

also jalbs, when do you think there will be waitlist movement? april, may, june, july??

As for USC caring about matriculant rates, that would be for a most part no. I know for a fact that we havn't even looked at the list of who is accepted where, and I'm not sure we even take that into account. I do know that once we are talking about waitlisted people, the people who are most excited about coming to USC get's off the list first. I think this is more about getting a good student body then matriculation rate, but it does help the matriculant rate.

Good thing because that would be illegal and unethical. I don't know if if makes a difference but my information comes from a Dean of the medical school and not current student.

An example of a school that really cares about matriculant rate is Georgetown, who puts most student on a highly select list and then takes only the people who writes LOIs. We more than fill our list with acceptances before going to the people on the waitlist.

Of my three friends that attend G-Town none of them wrote LOIs

Good thing because that would be illegal and unethical. I don't know if if makes a difference but my information comes from a Dean of the medical school and not current student.

Of my three friends that attend G-Town none of them wrote LOIs

G-town admits SOME people right away. They have to all rank you highly though.

I bet they only take you sans-LOI if you aren't accepted elsewhere.

5 Letters of Intent...WOW! Someone has their nose buried DEEP in the recesses of the adcom's rectum...j/k ;) I guess that's what it takes though...if I was waitlisted there and it was my first choice...I'd shove my nose so far up the adcom's anus..they'd have a nose coming out of their mouth. Well, just thought I'd comment on that. Carry on.

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
5 Letters of Intent...WOW! Someone has their nose buried DEEP in the recesses of the adcom's rectum...j/k ;) I guess that's what it takes though...if I was waitlisted there and it was my first choice...I'd shove my nose so far up the adcom's anus..they'd have a nose coming out of their mouth. Well, just thought I'd comment on that. Carry on.

well they weren't kissing a** letters...they were more like this is what i'm doing now, i liked your school, please let me in...plus info that wasn't on my initial or secondary apps....i don't think LOI's are just about brown nosing, i think they're are more about letting the admissions committee know a little something more about you, and that their school is the one you want to go to...not telling them that they are the gratest school on the planet or anything like that....but, i can totally imagine some people would try and brown-nose their way to an acceptance...not my style though...i'm an anti-brownnoser.....

Originally posted by mrcool

as i said in the post above, loi's aren't just about hey, if you accept me i'll go there...at least, i don't see them that way...but anyway, what's wrong with letting a school know that they are your first choice? i figure it would save a lot of time and wasted acceptances if they knew who really wanted to be there and who maybe didn't care as much....and at the same time, they'd get people who are more enthusiastic, more greatful, and maybe have even more school spirit that those who are sent acceptances but who, in the end, maybe don't really want to be there....
well, whatever, if people want to send them in they will, and if they don't they won't..whether it makes a difference or not, i don't think it hurts to send in one or two if you're set on a school you really want to go to, but feel you are in the borderline acceptance pool or have been waitlisted (like i have)....

a friend of mine got her alternate list letter and she'd like to know if you guys's also says the following in the last paragraph....

"I sincerely hope, your first name, that you understand how much we appreciate your patience."

shes confused and is wondering if this is something generic or a special note to her.

thanks for your help.

where is my letter???!!!

maybe you are going to be accepted...not put on the alt list...maybe you could try calling them......

a friend of mine got her alternate list letter and she'd like to know if you guys's also says the following in the last paragraph....

"I sincerely hope, your first name, that you understand how much we appreciate your patience."

shes confused and is wondering if this is something generic or a special note to her.

thanks for your help.

where is my letter???!!!

I can't say bc I got a rejection, but it sounds generic. My rejection letter had some lines that were "personal" like this one.

They don't have THAT much time in their hands. It's generic! And they even said nicer stuff~ But it's generic..... I should know... I got one too.

thanks for your help.

where is my letter???!!!

so yours also said your first name at the btm?? thanks so much for your help!

I wouldn't read too much into "personal note" like that.

Case examples:

1. My stanford Post-interview REJECTION letter says, "...It's highly likely that you'll be accepted to another med school of high quality..." Yea, and you rejected me right away...nice!

2. There are various versions of waitlist letters at Columbia, some people get handwritten personal notes from Dr. Frantz, the director of admission. Apparently those don't mean **** at all.