USC Keck vs UCR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edrice

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Havent received any FA packages yet but I do want to get thinking as I know this will be on my mind for a long time...

Similarities:
  • close to home/SO
  • both match well in CA
  • traffic sucks regardless
  • P/F
  • felt good on interview day and after speaking w/ students
  • both curricula have their pros and cons but overall I like both of them
USC Keck
Pros
  • love the city, weather, vibe, more to do
  • a lot of good hospital affiliates
  • research
  • networking
  • prestige (matters w/ P/F step??? idk)
  • 1.5 yr pre clinical

Cons
  • COA is insanely high ~300-400k, prolly wont get much aid
  • large class size
  • AOA
  • theyve had some scandals which make me wary
  • area around school is worse

UCR
Pros
  • good scholarship opportunities
  • its a UC which has good recognition
  • i like the orgs they have
  • school seems supportive
  • small class size
  • COA will be lower (~280k w/o FA)
  • i have lived in riverside for practically my entire life

Cons
  • Resources as far as research would be limited from what I hear
  • relatively new
  • they dont have their own hospital which means driving around a lot
  • LACE program is good but random placement meaning driving to the sites
  • tailored for primary care which isnt bad but im not sure thats what I truly want. means id need to put some effort to get exposure in fields I may be interested in
  • 2 yr preclinical

Summary: Im stuck here. I like both schools and I want to end up in socal for residency. I am potentially interested in a career in academics. Im unsure which specialty I want to go into which makes it tough as UCR does not have the same access to some fields as USC does. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

What are your financial aid packages looking like for both schools? I know usc is supposed to be WAY more expensive but have either given you an indication yet?

Havent received any FA packages yet but I do want to get thinking as I know this will be on my mind for a long time...

Similarities:
  • close to home/SO
  • both match well in CA
  • traffic sucks regardless
  • P/F
  • felt good on interview day and after speaking w/ students
  • both curricula have their pros and cons but overall I like both of them
USC Keck
Pros
  • love the city, weather, vibe, more to do
  • a lot of good hospital affiliates
  • research
  • networking
  • prestige (matters w/ P/F step??? idk)
  • 1.5 yr pre clinical

Cons
  • COA is insanely high ~300-400k, prolly wont get much aid
  • large class size
  • AOA
  • theyve had some scandals which make me wary
  • area around school is worse

UCR
Pros
  • good scholarship opportunities
  • its a UC which has good recognition
  • i like the orgs they have
  • school seems supportive
  • small class size
  • COA will be lower (~280k w/o FA)
  • i have lived in riverside for practically my entire life

Cons
  • Resources as far as research would be limited from what I hear
  • relatively new
  • they dont have their own hospital which means driving around a lot
  • LACE program is good but random placement meaning driving to the sites
  • tailored for primary care which isnt bad but im not sure thats what I truly want. means id need to put some effort to get exposure in fields I may be interested in
  • 2 yr preclinical

Summary: Im stuck here. I like both schools and I want to end up in socal for residency. I am potentially interested in a career in academics. Im unsure which specialty I want to go into which makes it tough as UCR does not have the same access to some fields as USC does. Any thoughts?
im picking usc 9/10 times

What are your financial aid packages looking like for both schools? I know usc is supposed to be WAY more expensive but have either given you an indication yet?
Nothing yet. Im trying to get started thinking now because I know for a fact this decision will come to the last minute lol

I imagine USC wont give much if its based on parental income. UCR is generous and I think I can qualify for half tuition

Members don't see this ad :)
UCR is very generous with aid. It would not surprise me if they offer you more than 50% of your tuition in aid. you already know the cons with UCR. lack of teaching hospitals and lack of home program, which means you will have to network and build connections to get research. However, their students seem to match quite well due to the UC connection/brand. Keck has amazing home programs that will give you an advantage for connection and research, if you want a competitive specialty. If you decide to go FM, IM, PC UCR will get you there with way less debt. Congrats on the two UC acceptances.

edit: UCR is pretty low tier. USC is upper mid tier and has a lot more prestige and their match list is a lot better than UCR.
So essentially gotta decide now! Ahhh thats why I hate this decision. I wish I was deadset on primary!

Any reason why?
didnt really see any cons on ur list. also, physicians make good money, debt will be paid off in a few years’ salaries

the prestige and reputation combined with P/F is more than enough. bonus points if it’s non mandatory lectures

Reactions: 1 user
If UCR ends up being 100k less, then I’d pick UCR. USC is solid but it doesn’t have the rep and prestige compared to places like Harvard and UCSF to justify the cost.

You can still network and pursue research at the nearby med schools like UCI and Loma Linda if you want to pursue something competitive.

Reactions: 1 user