USC Keck vs. Utah SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fizziepanda

Reaction score
After getting into Keck in November, I just got off the waitlist for Utah. I'm leaning Keck, but want to make an informed decision. Any feedback is appreciated.

USC Keck
Pros
  • Curriculum
    • P/F pre-clinicals
    • NBME-based exams
    • 1.5 years
  • Diverse experiences
    • LAC hospital rotations would be WILD
  • Good feeling about students I met
  • Seems like students are cared for
  • My partner can keep their job
  • Closer to my partner's family
  • Easier relocation
Cons
  • Expensive ~~$435,368 for four years
  • Living in LA seems overwhelming
    • Traffic seems like a nightmare
  • Don't necessarily want to match into a CA residency

Utah SOM
Pros
  • Solid program
  • P/F preclinicals
  • Closer to my mom
  • Salt Lake City seems comfortable
    • Great for hiking, skiing
  • Harder relocation
Neutral
  • I missed admitted student's day, and it's harder to find out more specific information about this program
Cons
  • Expensive ~~$401,324 for four years
    • While I qualify for Idaho in-state tuition, the state of Idaho will force me to pay back the difference if I do not practice in Idaho, which I have no intention of
  • Red state (I am LGBTQ)
  • My partner could likely not keep their job

Summary: Keck would offer a lot of experiences and seems like a stronger program, but it would be in LA and farther away from my mom/family. My partner could keep their job if we moved to LA, which would be easier in terms of relocating. Both programs are expensive given I may have to pay full COA for both.

Members don't see this ad.

Utah as a whole is a red state, but Salt Lake is heavily blue. Lots of other things to consider, like you have, but just wanted to mention that you might not have to worry much about feeling comfortable in Salt Lake.

The CoA for both is similar, it sounds like, and with the other facts you mentioned I think it just comes down to which student body you vibe with more.

Another thing is the U of U SOM is getting a whole new building soon. While that'll be a plus in a few years, not sure if that means you'd have to go to medical school for a few years amid a construction zone.

Reactions: 1 users
Utah as a whole is a red state, but Salt Lake is heavily blue. Lots of other things to consider, like you have, but just wanted to mention that you might not have to worry much about feeling comfortable in Salt Lake.

The CoA for both is similar, it sounds like, and with the other facts you mentioned I think it just comes down to which student body you vibe with more.

Another thing is the U of U SOM is getting a whole new building soon. While that'll be a plus in a few years, not sure if that means you'd have to go to medical school for a few years amid a construction zone.
Those are great points! Thank you! Still such a tough choice

Members don't see this ad :)
Keck, especially if your partner enjoys their job and it would be hard to find something similar. Utah is rolling out a new curriculum, so that is something to keep in mind as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Keck, especially if your partner enjoys their job and it would be hard to find something similar. Utah is rolling out a new curriculum, so that is something to keep in mind as well.
This is helpful, thank you