USC+LAC reaccreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisyduke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think USC was supposed to be re-evaluated in January. Anyone heard an update on their status? It would be helpful to know before the ROL are due! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

No, haven't heard anything yet. I'm kind of surprised about that - I interviewed in early January and they were anticipating a result in the following week or two and said they would email applicants about their status. I just heard from OHSU yesterday that they got the results from their accreditation visit - I don't know if the results come out for all programs at once or if there's some kind of rolling notification process...

Just incase anyone didn't get the email, apparently LAC+USC has been given continued probationary status. I didn't read all the detail, but there was something about the RRC wanting to continue to evaluate the numbers at the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the email:
"We have received unofficial word from the Residency Review
Committee (RRC) regarding our program's accreditation. We anticipate
hearing formally in 3-6 weeks with full details. The unofficial
decision is "Proposed continued probationary accreditation" with a
response due in August 2006. Our program remains accredited. The RRC
recognized that we are moving in the right direction; however, they
would like to review additional information regarding case
numbers/changes in the program. We are required to submit the
additional information in August 2006 at which time we are hopeful that
the committee will grant us full accreditation."

Sounds fishy to me... what do you guys think? :confused:

USC is such a large reputable program I can't imagine the program not gaining re-accreditation. What concerns me is moving to a new hospital in 2007. How is that going to work? As current applicants, the move would occur early in our R2 year -- the most difficult year for USC residents.

How do hospitals move? (I imagine it doesn't move in one huge clunk) Would that mean lost records? Patients without access to all medical equipment or departmental consults? Does anyone know anything about how hospitals move?

The last possible concern in Dr. Muderspach's email was the selection of a new chair. I'm not concerned. Undoubtably, they will have no problem attracting those qualified to transition USC to a more stable dynamic program. Dr. Muderspach seems very passionate about ensuring the stability and quality of the residency program in the interim.

Apollyon said:
It does sound rather fishy. As I've always understood it, "continued probationary" doesn't exist - you get one chance to fix it, and, if it ain't fixed, you're out of business.

So I did more research on www.acgme.org, and I found out that a program can indeed be on "continued probationary accreditation".

I was wondering what the repercussions on a resident s career would be if he was to graduate from a program on probation?
Read this topic in another forum and it set me thinking.....

Any opinions?

What I want to know is, what happens if in August the RRC does not re-accreditate USC.... what happens to the FORTY residents in this program?

daisyduke said:
What I want to know is, what happens if in August the RRC does not re-accreditate USC.... what happens to the FORTY residents in this program?

Our DME told us that if a program loses their accreditation, the residents would normally be given an opportunity to go elsewhere, or stay with a program that is not accreditated. Which means that you would not be board eligable and could not be board certified, if you chose to complete your residency with a program that is not accredited. At least in regards to FP programs. I am not sure if this same scenario would apply to OB/Gyn. If anyone else has any info please speak up. I hope this helps.

Found this thread in the archives. Am curious about the current status of USC. I went on the ACGME website and it says that they are still under probational status. Does anyone know what are the real ramifications of going to a residency like this?

If a program losses it's accreditation, pretty much what I wrote before. But I would ask the program themselves, to see what their status is, see when the RRC is comming back to re-eval, etc. Good luck!

Thanks Flea Girl. Planning on asking the PD about this when I interview there. The ACGME site did not have a return date for LAC&USC so that is another question on my list.