Breastfeeding/lactation training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geniebelle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(also posting in ped forum)
I'm just starting out but am already interested in OBGYN and ped. I figured breastfeeding/lactation would be big parts of both but have been told recently that it isn't. This doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone correct them for me or explain? Is there an elective (for either) that would invole breastfeeding/lactation if I do go into OB/ped?

Members don't see this ad.

(also posting in ped forum)
I'm just starting out but am already interested in OBGYN and ped. I figured breastfeeding/lactation would be big parts of both but have been told recently that it isn't. This doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone correct them for me or explain? Is there an elective (for either) that would invole breastfeeding/lactation if I do go into OB/ped?

Now that I've closed the pedi thread with a cross-reference I'll answer your question here...

Of course both pediatricians and obstetricians are trained in medical aspects related to lactation. They usually are NOT trained as lactation counselors, although there are some physicians with certification as lactation counselors.The AAP has an excellent breast-feeding curriculum used in some residencies or you can do much of it on your own. Training in the medical aspects of lactation in pediatrics is integrated into the normal newborn nursery rotations of many programs as well as NICU rotations as appropriate. Not sure about where it is included in OB residencies.

Unfortunately & surprisingly lactation training is not a large component of obstetric training, unless you take it upon yourself to seek out additional training. Often time, the training involves some didactic lectures or points by faculty with an interest in the topic. In my experience, due to the nature of the volume and limited time, interns (who often handle rounding on post partum women) do not have the time to focus on lactation much during the obstetrical months.

With that said, two items might be of help if you decide to go the obstetric route: 1) you are allotted elective time in residency and may use it to further your lactation knowledge and spend time with the consultants on a daily basis, and 2) if you end up at a baby-friendly or breastfeeding-friendly hospital, then you'll likely be required to complete a series of on-line or live lactation didactics, which are immensely informative and useful. For yours truly, unfortunately, such an opportunity didn't present itself until fellowship… I wish I had the knowledge as a resident.

Best of luck!

I'm a peds resident and I plan on getting certified as a lactation consultant (at some point.) If you really have an interest, I would offer the following:

1. get your hands on Breastfeeding, by Ruth Lawrence - it's a very medical approach to lactation medicine
2. look into the requirements for becoming a lactation consultant now - it may be possible to meet them and sit for the exam during residency
3. if you would really like to practice in this area, odds are you'll end up in general pediatrics or neonatology. The OB environment, as far as I've seen, is currently not nearly as active. This is especially true when you consider that lactation medicine involves treating two patients, mother and baby.

Good luck!