USC or Columbia? Or Neither?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittieruby

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know this may sound stupid, but if anyone could give me some advice I'd appreciate it. I am currently an undergrad at USC, and have always been torn between science and oddly enough, cinema/arts. I am graduating with a degree in cinema and have interned at great production co's like MGM and Ridley Scott and Associates. On the flip side I spent three years of undergrad working at a neuroscience lab at USC's med school and love that as well. Whereas cinema is about expression, science is about exploration, and I just don't know what to do. Also, I'm not very apt at math and science. I can get it, but only after HOURS of studying. So...that being said, I have been accepted to Columbia's program, which from what I've read is about as intense as it can get. And I was wondering if anyone knew about USC's program? Basically, I'm looking for advice on what I should do, and where I should consider going. I LOVE LA, but I know CU is amazing for post-bac. If someone has any advice, I'd so appreciate it. CU wants an answer in like two weeks since I've been accepted for the summer 2004 starting date. I'm sooo confused. :( What's safer? What could make me happiest? I know somebody I don't know can't answer this fully for me, but sometimes it's best to get advice from someone that doesn't know me at all...a different perspective.

Thanks!!! :) :D

Members don't see this ad.

Kittieruby,

I don't know about the USC pgm, but as someone who just finished CU, I would say it's not what it's cracked up to be. The stats posted on their website was from ages ago, and I haven't heard unanimous laudatory remarks about our advisors. It's pretty cutthroat here some competition among the postbaccs and some between ugrads and postbaccs. Remember, you'll be in class w/ fellow ivy-leaguers most of whom are premeds. I recall you said that it takes you a long time to absorb material. At CU, you can't really afford to be a slow digester. Not to say that it can't be done, but try living on 3hrs of sleep and making the school library your 2nd home. And it only gets worse your 2nd yr (Bio/Orgo year). I can not say for sure that CU's courses are harder than USC's but I can hazard a guess that they are. That said, if you enjoy cali now, why leave? As long as you can prove your academic prowess there, you'll be golden. Sorry to sound bitter, but I don't wholly recommend CU, and no one postbacc from CU I know does anything but kvetch about the pgm.