USC or UMaryland??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

future_pharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've PMed some current students at both schools...but I'd like to hear more from others :D
I got accepted to USC (southern cali) and UMaryland.
The estimated student expenses at both schools are about the same.
(I am not from MD)
I don think either school is in a good area...(correct me if I am wrong!).
It's a hard decision.
Any suggestion?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

future_pharmD said:
I've PMed some current students at both schools...but I'd like to hear more from others :D
I got accepted to USC (southern cali) and UMaryland.
The estimated student expenses at both schools are about the same.
(I am not from MD)
I don think either school is in a good area...(correct me if I am wrong!).
It's a hard decision.
Any suggestion?
Thanks!

I don't really have any experience with either school (though UM rejected me 2 years in a row :laugh: ). If you feel that both schools are equal in the criteria you've listed so far, my next step would be to compare costs of living. I know that it isn't cheap to live in SoCal, but then again, I've heard the cost of living is high in MD, too.

Which school did you choose to apply to first? And, what made you choose to apply to each one? Something has to stand out. :)

Well, I don't know much about USC, but from a little that I found on their website, they seem to have a lot of great electives and clerkships. I mean, they have a dermatology clerkship, which would be like, a dream come true for me. So take a look at what school has more courses that appeal to you.
As for me, I'm headed to Maryland (i'm in-state) and im excited for the dinner and dancing boat cruise at the inner harbor. im not terribly thrilled with their curriculum, but whatever. yeah the area isn't good, but i felt extremely safe at my undergrad in DC, and there are robberies and crime there all the time. so things might seem worse than they are but won't be too big an issue when you're actually there.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I chose which schools to apply, I looked at the # of out of state applicants each school accepted in the last admission cycle. USC is a private school so I assumed that state residency isn't a huge factor for admission. As for UMaryland, I heard that they accepted quite a lot of out of state and international students each year.

One thing different at these two schools is that there were lots of asian americans at USC interview. However, there was only one asian girl (besides myself) in my interview group at Maryland. (sorry, I don mean to bring up this ethnic issue again.)

p.s. I am a FOB... who is a study nerd and doesn't speak perfect English... :D
so, I'd like to choose a school where I can meet people who are friendly to someone who speaks English with a strong accent!

You'd probably have a better time at USC because then you can go clubbing with them at Asian clubs and stuff.

future_pharmD said:
When I chose which schools to apply, I looked at the # of out of state applicants each school accepted in the last admission cycle. USC is a private school so I assumed that state residency isn't a huge factor for admission. As for UMaryland, I heard that they accepted quite a lot of out of state and international students each year.

One thing different at these two schools is that there were lots of asian americans at USC interview. However, there was only one asian girl (besides myself) in my interview group at Maryland. (sorry, I don mean to bring up this ethnic issue again.)

p.s. I am a FOB... who is a study nerd and doesn't speak perfect English... :D
so, I'd like to choose a school where I can meet people who are friendly to someone who speaks English with a strong accent!

You would think that being in an environment filled with your same ethnicity group would promote "fitting in..."

But usually you'll start to see clusters of cliques forming within the classes due to "common interests." My instinct would actually be to go away from the ethnocentric area since a mixed group would befriend you based on who you are, rather than preconceived ideas.

I guess I'm suggesting Maryland in terms of choice based on social factor. But then again, I'm not too into the Asian-ethnocentric mentality (I'm Chinese-American)... I grew up with very few asians around me so I guess I got turned into a "twinkie." :D

Both are great schools though. Consider yourself in a great place to be in (in a position to choose between 2 great schools).

Thank you all for your input!

Anyone who is in class of 2009 at either school wanna introduce themselves?
or what made you choose to attend that school?

okay, I will go first!
- I will have a BS in biochem this May.
- I love shopping! (well, window shopping most of the time cuz I don't have $$)
- I listen to asian pop as well as american music.
- I am shy when I don't know people very well... but I can be loud when I get to know people better or when I am around people who speeak my native language :p

Personally, I LOVE Baltimore. The best description I've heard is that it is "DC's ugly cousin who is a whole lot more fun to hang out with" so true!

I think Baltimore is cheaper than the area around USC... personally, I hate snow, but I hate california more :laugh: I think its from living in AZ for 10 years - its just trying to be california too hard!

my cousin graduated from USC and she owes 150,000$. Umaryland is the same? i'd probably attend USC since its california