USC or UNF? From former SC student

Started by Nalia B
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Nalia B

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I could use some advice here...

I went to USC as an undergrad and grduated in 2004. I recently contacted the pre-health advisor at USC and was told that even if I completed ALL of my pre-reqs at a community college (I'm thinking about SMC) and mainatined a high B+ - A+ average, the pre-health committee would still write a LOR and that I would be eligible to use their application process and all their resources to apply to different medical schools.

However I am wondering if I should do this or instead go through a formal post-bac program and then use that school's resources? Currently I am considering UNF because it's not terribly expensive and I could leave Los Angeles and go somewhere where I don't know anybody and not be distracted.

However I would like to go back to L.A. for medical school - in particular USC where I spent my undergrad years working at the Keck School of Med cell and neurobiology lab, and am familiar with many of the professors. So my question is ... Will I have an easier time applying to Cali schools with USC handling my application or will it not matter that I am applying through UNF? And also, if I am applying to other schools outside of Cali - will schools respect USC (albeit with CC credits - tho maybe adcoms won't be able to tell on my USC transcript?) or UNF more?

Considering all of these factors, any advice would be helpful. Thank you! 🙂