USC...PBL or PBHell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

space kacy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got offered an interview on 3/25 and although I think it's pretty late, I'll probably entertain it. I don't think I'll get in but in case I do, could someone please put in their 2 cents about USC's problem based learning approach. I've been hearing a lot of negatives incl one from a grad who got out just before they changed the program so if you have a different perspective or don't care for PBL either, let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you should go to the interview and experience it for yourself. It certainly is a different appraoch. Some think it is a radical approach, but I think it is practical. You learn problem solving skills right from day 1. And then you start working in the clinic on those skills you learn in each particular case. Therefore, you are applying what you learn immediately, which I think reinforces learning and I think this way, things will be easier to remember and apply. The first year students that we met with on the interview day said that it took some getting used to, but they have no regrets, like the approach to learning, and actually have more free time. At the interview, they give you some good stats on how PBL students performed on the boards. That was pretty impressive too. I was both impressed and intrigued by the PB approach to learning and that is just one reason I chose USC :) But I definitely think it is worth checking out!!