USC Pharmacy Class of 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuikm3603

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from USC yet (i.e. e-mails about receiving your pharmCAS and supplemental apps)?

Members don't see this ad.

Same here...haven't heard anything. I submitted my apps pretty early (first week of August, I think)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh phew, that makes me feel a little better. I submitted maybe first week of August?

Are you guys actually excited about getting into USC? After taking 1 look at the tuition pricetag I wouldn't be touching that school with a 10-foot pole. It's not too late to find a more affordable option.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you guys actually excited about getting into USC? After taking 1 look at the tuition pricetag I wouldn't be touching that school with a 10-foot pole. It's not too late to find a more affordable option.

I do agree that the tuition is a bit absurd. However, as a resident of California that would like to go to school in California, there doesn't seem to be too many choices out there... (I'm currently an undergrad in the east coast and really want to come back)

Reactions: 1 user
I do agree that the tuition is a bit absurd. However, as a resident of California that would like to go to school in California, there doesn't seem to be too many choices out there... (I'm currently an undergrad in the east coast and really want to come back)

Are you really prepared to handle 300-350k plus in student loan debt (plus interest that continually accrues on graduate loans)? Your geographical restriction is going to restrict you financially for a very long time. There are plenty of other options for cheaper schools if you think creatively and are willing to go outside California.

I've been seriously stressing to get my $190k loans paid off in 7 years. With 350k it would just suck completely-- especially now that PAYE looks to limit forgiveness totals. Tuition + fees alone, at USC, are going to hit you for over 200k. Add in the interest and it will be significantly more. Over 200k with no living expenses or other costs factored in.

No money manager could ever approve of such a financially soul-sucking decision as going to USC CoP.

What are my chances?
GPA: 2.7 (graduating in December 2014)
I plan on taking a year off and re-taking some community college classes and maybe doing a master's program. Would that help my chances of getting into USC? Will re-taking and taking classes like microbiology that I have not taken at my undergrad university help my GPA? Any replies help. Thanks!

What are my chances?
GPA: 2.7 (graduating in December 2014)
I plan on taking a year off and re-taking some community college classes and maybe doing a master's program. Would that help my chances of getting into USC? Will re-taking and taking classes like microbiology that I have not taken at my undergrad university help my GPA? Any replies help. Thanks!

i believe they hve gpa cutoff around 3.0

only "A BIT" absurb ?? lol

why do you want to come back to CA now ?? Do you HAVE to ?? Ever thought of coming back after you FINISHED pharmacy schools ?? ;)

Just got invited for an interview on Oct 17th!

I think this should be moved to the specific school forum.

Dapark75: when did you submit?

Members don't see this ad :)
most expensive school in the US with very expensive living option around (los angeles). you have no idea what 200k+ student loan will mean to you later.

It's important not to worry about costs too much right now. See where you get in first. Then decide what's right for you.

I would recommend that you look at more than just the cost when factoring in your decisions. Take it from a current student that it's important to see what kind of opportunities you'll have when the time comes. Apparently USC used to have this IV rotation and now they're scrambling to get us our hours. The class schedules have been a complete mess and some people don't even get their sites told to them until the day before.

I know a random person on a forum isn't likely to hold clout, but I highly recommend that you take a long hard look at the programs and chances for your future. Poor scheduling, limited rotation sites, the number of practicing faculty members are all important factors to weigh. I was shocked to find out that the percent of applicants for residency that matched 2 years ago was well below the average, ~50% as opposed to 60%.

With it becoming more and more difficult to find jobs with the saturated market, your schools reputation and the best experience you can get out of it matters.

Yes, the c/o 2013 had a lower % accepted into a PGY-1 (below the national average of 50%). Ask Dr. Gong why he thinks the % was lower. The c/o 2014 % was higher, but have not seen the number. USC used to have what I nicknamed, "IV Bootcamp in Freddy Krueger's lair." I heard conflicting reasons as to why they changed it. The most common version had a state inspector coming into the lair and seeing 8 students working the clean room with 1 county and 1 USC faculty overseeing them. The inspector flipped out, and hence the change (supposedly the students staffed the county IV room year-round, saving the county over $3 million annually). However, Weissman said that the intern:pharmacist ratio is for paid interns only, and that there is a limitless ratio for students. So not sure the real story.

omg please tell me you were joking ....

No I'm not joking. Rank is important. I agree USC's cost of attendance is exorbitant, but the school is good enough that it's worth applying to. In the end, you'll pay off your loans. If you tell me you're not applying to USC because it's too expensive, the first thing I am going to wonder is if you can even get in. I am aware of how expensive pharmacy school is. But I think if you want to go to a reputable school, see where you CAN get in first, and then decide.

I care about the reputation of the school I go to, and if I have to pay more for it, then maybe it's worth it.

I would recommend that you look at more than just the cost when factoring in your decisions. Take it from a current student that it's important to see what kind of opportunities you'll have when the time comes. Apparently USC used to have this IV rotation and now they're scrambling to get us our hours. The class schedules have been a complete mess and some people don't even get their sites told to them until the day before.

I know a random person on a forum isn't likely to hold clout, but I highly recommend that you take a long hard look at the programs and chances for your future. Poor scheduling, limited rotation sites, the number of practicing faculty members are all important factors to weigh. I was shocked to find out that the percent of applicants for residency that matched 2 years ago was well below the average, ~50% as opposed to 60%.

With it becoming more and more difficult to find jobs with the saturated market, your schools reputation and the best experience you can get out of it matters.

This is true! From my understanding IV rotations were cut out because the board of pharmacy is coming down hard on the hospitals with their regulations (I'm glad I didn't buy scrubs).

Dr. D- has addressed the issue with the poor residency match %. Our minimum graduation GPA is 3.0 which makes our grades inflated compared to others. From what I've heard so far, they are planning on bringing the GPA down to 2.5 (as like many other schools) this will lower the applicant pool and only the "real" people obtaining good GPA's will apply for residency.

If you enjoy being demeaned by the same person who is the most unorganized person in the school (Dr Besinque), go to USC. Mr. Granderson and the deans do a great job creating a positive image of the school, but others (Dr. Besinque) wont even show up to class and will probably blame you. If you get into UCSD, don't make a mistake of being scared of not enough rotation sites. USC is having the same problem.

USC should bring back the 3 month IV Boot Camp, add in physical assessment training with the MD students, incorporate gross anatomy with lab, cut out literally half the management/econ classes, add a research APPE rotation, and consider adding one or more clinical rotations.

I feel really bad for the USC IPPE Inpatient students at our facility. Their IV training is 2 weeks in-class (at USC), and whatever the IPPE site will provide (zero). A few years ago, you'd have IPPEs 4 days a week, over 6 weeks. Now they have only 5 full days (40 hrs total) for their combined inpatient+IV IPPE. It takes 2 weeks to even get PATT results, so the director didn't want them making IVs.

I interviewed on Nov 21 and I remember them saying that we have to fill out a survey about the interview process. Did anyone receive the link to the survey yet? Or did you already complete the survey during the interview date? Did I just leave to early? I stayed until the end and got the yellow folder that I thought would give more info about the survey but there was no information about it in there. I know the survey is not importance for admissions but I want to be safe by completing everything they tell instead of being disqualified for not paying to instructions..

After getting an acceptance letter, I finally sat down to crunch some numbers and said, "haha **** THAT."

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on Nov 21 and I remember them saying that we have to fill out a survey about the interview process. Did anyone receive the link to the survey yet? Or did you already complete the survey during the interview date? Did I just leave to early? I stayed until the end and got the yellow folder that I thought would give more info about the survey but there was no information about it in there. I know the survey is not importance for admissions but I want to be safe by completing everything they tell instead of being disqualified for not paying to instructions..

Hi, I had my interview on the 21st also, and did not receive any survey link yet. Have you gotten any notifications regarding your interview yet?

I submitted my PharmCAS application and supplemental on 10/3/2014. Anyone have any ideas on when I should expect a response by? By response, I mean an interview invitation or rejection letter. Of the four schools that I applied to, I have only heard back from UOP.

My Stats
UCD GPA 3.67 Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior Major
UCD Honors Program 4 years
3 years research experience
2 Senior Theses
1 Publication in the Journal of Proteomics (4th Author)
Departmental Citation for Outstanding Performance upon graduation
Certified EMT
Certified Pharm Tech
Member of Pre-Pharmacy Club

What do you guys think of my chances? I applied to USC, UOP, UCSD, and UCSF.

Extremely good chances if you do not blow the interview. Remember to smile!

Has anyone heard back from the November 21st Interview session???

I submitted my PharmCAS application and supplemental on 10/3/2014. Anyone have any ideas on when I should expect a response by? By response, I mean an interview invitation or rejection letter. Of the four schools that I applied to, I have only heard back from UOP.

My Stats
UCD GPA 3.67 Neurobiology, Physiology, and Behavior Major
UCD Honors Program 4 years
3 years research experience
2 Senior Theses
1 Publication in the Journal of Proteomics (4th Author)
Departmental Citation for Outstanding Performance upon graduation
Certified EMT
Certified Pharm Tech
Member of Pre-Pharmacy Club

What do you guys think of my chances? I applied to USC, UOP, UCSD, and UCSF.
Apply to medical or dental school.

Reactions: 3 users
If you enjoy being demeaned by the same person who is the most unorganized person in the school (Dr Besinque), go to USC. Mr. Granderson and the deans do a great job creating a positive image of the school, but others (Dr. Besinque) wont even show up to class and will probably blame you. If you get into UCSD, don't make a mistake of being scared of not enough rotation sites. USC is having the same problem.

Your arguments are pretty reasonable, but you've probably heard of many planned changes- addressing your concern, a new coordinator for biosys.

You've been pretty bitter about the school, the only things I've seen you post are negative comments. If you're not satisfied with it, why not go and try and make some changes? Maybe take an initiative like our class board and do something about it. There's a bunch of stuff behinds the scenes you don't see, why not try and be apart of that?

Anh: Who said I'm not part of the class board or the meetings we had directly with the coordinators last year? I have done more than most of the class. (I don't find it fun putting my hands up in class either like I'm some kind of criminal when I didn't do anything wrong.) Nothing that gets done benefits our class and based on class of 2018, the changes haven't benefitted them either. I'm not arguing. I'm stating facts. Show me where I'm wrong. Show me some of your positives.

Our residency match rate sucks. Most of first and second year is a waste of money and extremely disorganized. We have less rotations than people who go to Western who get 2 years of rotations. UCs are more cost-effective and give you a better chance at fellowships.

On the PhD side, if you try to open your own start-up company while in school, part of your future profits belong to USC forever. It's unethical for the school to take away your creative potential because you learned a few things from Mackay.

Someone asked be about frats in PM. "Professional" frats are not at all professional.

I'm glad some people have PMed me to ask questions. If you have any and don't feel comfortable posting on the message board, feel free. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
USC had a mixer one evening during the ASHP Midyear. It was not advertised, except by word of mouth. Nothing in the schedule, no email(s). If you had been in a frat, you likely knew, otherwise not. So typical of how the school runs.

I want to go to pharmacy school :) Just because you have the stats to go to medical school or dental school doesn't mean that you should.

I hope you get accepted to the pharmacy schools you want to go to. You should follow where your heart tell you to go and everything is going to be fine !! ;)

They're taking forever right?!
we should hopefully hear something this week. it took about 3 weeks for the last interview batch to hear back. its been 3 weeks for us, but then again there was a thanksgiving holiday where admissions wasnt working on our apps

Even if you get put on active consideration, it's fine. You still have a good chance of getting in. They only accept a few people at a time until they interview everyone, so they get the best students they can. Don't be discouraged if you are on active consideration, especially if you're graduating in 2015. They want to see you finish some more classes too. Most people I know at the school were on AC before getting in.

@Roaringlions : You can so a lot more with a PharmD, especially with the dual programs at USC or in drug development if you can pull that GPA.

I hope you get accepted to the pharmacy schools you want to go to. You should follow where your heart tell you to go and everything is going to be fine !! ;)
I'm really looking foward to it. I just got an interview invitation to UCSD today. Still waiting on UCSF, and my top school, USC =)

we should hopefully hear something this week. it took about 3 weeks for the last interview batch to hear back. its been 3 weeks for us, but then again there was a thanksgiving holiday where admissions wasnt working on our apps
Forgive me. I don't know how the admission/interview process works. Does USC tell you whether you've been accepted or not three weeks after your interview date? Do other pharmacy schools do this as well?

Forgive me. I don't know how the admission/interview process works. Does USC tell you whether you've been accepted or not three weeks after your interview date? Do other pharmacy schools do this as well?
USC said that you will typically hear back after 2-4 weeks. I've mostly seen people hear back after 3-4...whether you were denied, accepted, or put on active consideration (waitlist). The Nov 21st interview people just got an email saying that we will hear back from them this coming Monday (so slightly more than 4 weeks). Every school is different in terms of when they get back to you...some are a week, some less than a week, some over a month

accepted!!
how many people tend to get accepted after each interview?

Has anyone gotten news to attend the interview on January 16th?

Hey all, I need advice. So I was put on active consideration for USC, and I know they want academic updates (in some cases, this will put you up the waitlist list). However, I got 2 B's, B+, and an A. Should I still do an academic update? Or wait until February, so that maybe I will find out about my position after the January 16th interview?

Do you think this will hurt me or help me (my fall grades)? I'm really scared. Please, advice?