USC vs Dartmouth vs Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ma4cel15

Reaction score
Hi there, I have acceptances at a few schools and am a little stuck on where to go. I am interested in ophthalmology and I mainly want to know what schools would best prepare me for that. USC is highly ranked for ophthalmology but I would really love some insight. I think all of these programs are around the same “prestige” but it would be nice to hear some other opinions on what school will offer me the best path career wise. Also I am waiting to hear back from Lerner college of medicine at Cleveland clinic which would probably be my number one choice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Ma4cel15!
Great to have you here! :)

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I am in state for Wisconsin. Moving does not really matter to much I would be open to it. Each school has a pass fail curriculum. Main deciding factor is which program will set me up the best for a surgical residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matching will be on how you do as a student. None of the schools will hold you back from going into competitive specialities. Go where it will be cheapest (I assume Wisconsin Madison should be).

Reactions: 1 users
They are all great places to go for the same price. Start thinking about location (and with this, proximity to family), weather, how easy it would be for your SO get a get a job (if applicable), class size, unique programs, people matching into optho, and prestige (but it’s negligible in your case).

Dartmouth is out because of the cheating scandal fiasco and the admins never admitted they were wrong. If they can’t apologize for their wrongs, they will wrong you throughout your education. Just a life lesson I learned being many many years removed from college.

Personally, I would choose USC. Experience something new and very well known in the world of optho. Plus, tons more optho residency options in CA compared to Wisc.

Reactions: 2 users
LA is awesome, but just realize Keck isn't in the main campus in the middle of the action

Staying close to home is underrated, especially if you are saving thousands to do it. It simplifies life, coming from someone who has to take an expensive flight with a few layovers back home this weekend. I would narrow this to USC vs Wisconsin. Both would set you up very well for ophthalmology. With that said, USC is top 10 for ophtho and would definitely help. But at the end of the day, UW would be good if you want midwest Ophtho. They likely match very well into MN/IA/OH/IN/IL/MI programs— most of which are outstanding programs.

Edit: didn’t see that USC offered you a scholarship. Most of my advice still stands, but I would tip the scales in favor of USC since it has such a great home program. But once again, being near home is huge and UW also has an excellent program that matches well near your home.

Dartmouth is out because of the cheating scandal fiasco and the admins never admitted they were wrong. If they can’t apologize for their wrongs, they will wrong you throughout your education. Just a life lesson I learned being many many years removed from college.
I had no idea about the Dartmouth cheating accusations. Just read a NYT article about it. Wild stuff!

If we're talking about scandals here, you can't ignore USC's scandal (the medical school one, not the undergrad one).

Reactions: 1 user
Univ of Wisconsin for sure. Excellent reputation. While Dartmouth and USC are elite undergrad institutions, their med schools aren’t quite in that same elite category.

Last edited:
Update: I got into CCLCM and an interview invite from the University of Chicago which is scheduled for February. I think I will be attending CCLCM even if I get into Uchicago because of the full tuition scholarship. Thanks again for all of the input!

Wow congratulations! I think there are only 30+ students per class at the Cleveland Clinic med school…

Thank you! Truly blessed with this opportunity and very excited to start this coming July!

Update: I got into CCLCM and an interview invite from the University of Chicago which is scheduled for February. I think I will be attending CCLCM even if I get into Uchicago because of the full tuition scholarship. Thanks again for all of the input!
just be aware that Lerner will take one extra year. So the savings in tuition isn't as much as the number says.