USC vs. Kaiser Sunset vs. Cedars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrmandrake

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can someone give me their thoughts on these programs? I'm having a hard time ranking them.

In my mind, USC has 10 residents/year which means a wider network for jobs later, good benefits, meals, good volume and path, quite a few fellows though

Kaiser is great for IR but I don't think I want to go into IR but I wouldn't mind being trained well as a resident, good "IN" for a job at Kaiser, good built-in prelim program, call is rough

Cedars seems to be a private practice model with the residents doing whatever work they want, call is rough, great location, nice hospital

Any other insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

USC should be better than the other two.

Now what happens eventually, depends on many factors. These are out of your control.

All of these programs are considered second rank after 4 big California names: UCSF, UCSD, UCLA and Stanford.

Rank them high if you know you want to stay in California. Otherwise, there are many other programs in midwest and East coast with (much) better national reputation and education. On the other hand, breaking into California market is very tough if you are not from a local program, even if you are from a big East coast program.

GL.

I would pick USC 150 times out of 149.