USC vs Penn vs Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USC vs Michigan vs Penn

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chinkybunni

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So finally I have to decide which one to attend. Which one would you pick? For me personally, the cost of attendance, specialization ratio, and friendliness to Asian Americans are important.

Michigan: Cost of attendance (out of state) - $240,000 without living expenses

Pros - Relatively Cheap, Nice urban area of Ann Arbor, Well-Known reputation both academically and clinically.
Cons - Cold Weather, Less Asian friendly environment (< 25% asian students in the entire dental student body)

Penn: Cost of attendance - $310,000 without living expenses

Pros - High Specialization Ratio, Large Asian composition in the student body, Phily is only 1.5 hrs away from NYC where my gf works at.
Cons - Price Price and Price, Facility, VERY competitive academic environment --> Stressful

USC: Cost of attendance - $320,000 without living expenses
Pros - L.A. --> 30 mins away from my house, Large Asian student composition in the student body, Nice Weather
Cons - Price is just too high, PBL Curriculum

I am personally leaning towards Michigan now, but I can't really decide.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think many people will pick any school but Michigan. Great school AND the lowest cost to attend. Good luck.

I think you have to choose Michigan. You're going to save at least $70k, which turns into $110k over 10 years. Plus Michigan has a great reputation, and going to football games would be awesome. USC an Penn both have outstanding reputations, but for $100k less I would definitely be heading to Michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I change my vote to Michigan as well, I always though Michigan was really expensive for out of staters.. It's very cheap, huh?

I would have thought Penn and Michigan are similar in price, but I guess not.

I would have voted for Penn (maybe a bit biased myself) if Mich wasn't an option. And secondly, just because Mich has a smaller Asian student ratio doesn't mean it's "less Asian friendly."

I change my vote to Michigan as well, I always though Michigan was really expensive for out of staters.. It's very cheap, huh?

I would have thought Penn and Michigan are similar in price, but I guess not.

What is the world coming to when we think $240,000 is cheap for an education? Dang it!

What is the world coming to when we think $240,000 is cheap for an education? Dang it!

When other OOS is over 400K.

It's 4 years of your life and then you can go back to Cali OP. Pick Michigan. 70,000 is a lot of money.

Hi,

So finally I have to decide which one to attend. Which one would you pick? For me personally, the cost of attendance, specialization ratio, and friendliness to Asian Americans are important.

Pros - Relatively Cheap, Nice urban area of Ann Arbor, Well-Known reputation both academically and clinically.
Cons - Cold Weather, Less Asian friendly environment (< 25% asian students in the entire dental student body)

Thanks

Ok, this bothers me. You are so caught up w/ race...jesus get over it. And you claim that a downside of Michigan is that less than 25% of their entire study body is Asian? Less than 10% of America is Asian...

I'm sorry, but you REALLY need to get over race b/c it seems like it's EVERYTHING to you you.

Wow...

:laugh: I should have said "relatively cheap." Since I am CA resident, our state schools cost 280-290k, instate. It's similar with Michigan's out-of-state fees because that 240k doesn't include living cost.

Seriously, I don't think 240k is that expensive, when so many of the schools are easily running 300k+

I would choose Michigan as well and if money isn't an issue, then Penn :D

dang. i seriously thought michigan was going to cost an arm-n-leg. it's quite affordable at 240k...

if only the weather was like LA or SF... it would be a tough decision for cali residents.

dang. i seriously thought michigan was going to cost an arm-n-leg. it's quite affordable at 240k...

if only the weather was like LA or SF... it would be a tough decision for cali residents.

Haha, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Michigan, just because the tuition from the other schools scared me! :laugh:

Ok, this bothers me. You are so caught up w/ race...jesus get over it. And you claim that a downside of Michigan is that less than 25% of their entire study body is Asian? Less than 10% of America is Asian...

I'm sorry, but you REALLY need to get over race b/c it seems like it's EVERYTHING to you you.

Wow...

Sorry, to some people this could be an important factor.

Wow...

Yeah I was wondering why the Asian-ness of the school mattered so much....and I'm Asian too.

240k is not cheap, but it's cheapER, and that'll make a difference in the long run.

Ooo boy, this thread is turning ugly. But lets not make it that way. Every person has their own reasons for choosing a school. I can understand where the OP is coming from, so lets not make him a pariah for saying so. However, I can understand people for getting annoyed. Perhaps, OP should be more politically correct by saying "More DIVERSE" rather then "More Asian."

Anyways, OP, only you can really choose a school based on your preferences. Everyone here gave valid reasons. So GL with your decision.

Ooo boy, this thread is turning ugly. But lets not make it that way. Every person has their own reasons for choosing a school. I can understand where the OP is coming from, so lets not make him a pariah for saying so. However, I can understand people for getting annoyed. Perhaps, OP should be more politically correct by saying "More DIVERSE" rather then "More Asian."

Anyways, OP, only you can really choose a school based on your preferences. Everyone here gave valid reasons. So GL with your decision.
You mean less diverse. He wants a school with lots of people of Asian decent.

We aren't in the 18th century anymore. People don't care as much about race as you think. I would especially think that professionals such as dental students would not care about race. Don't use race as a factor.

Hum, to each to his own. Only the OP can put value on certain aspects of a school, whether it be education, research, price, diversity etc. Everyone has a different opinion which emphasizes different values on certain aspects of a school. Only, you, OP can really gauge/feel out the school. GL with your choice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hokay lets all put this into perspective for a little bit. OP is saying she would want to go to a "more Asian school" but I'm pretty sure she wants to live in a place that has an established Asian community. One of the biggest reasons for that is the FOOD. When I lived in Miami for a year for my M.S. the one thing I missed the most was having a good source of Vietnamese food or any Asian food for that matter(and no Panda Express, P.F. Changs or various fast food chinese do not count). That one factor made me extremely homesick but thankfully it was only a year.

Going from California which is verrrryyyyyyyyy diverse, to something like Michigan can be a big culture change which is why I can understand OP wanting a "more Asian class". OP worded it pretty poorly but I'm almost sure that's what she wants. Not exactly the food but everything else too.

hey bro, if you're so against having non-asians in your class you should go to dental school in asia.

maybe if you step out of your .:aZn:. bubble you'll realize there's a whole world out there you're missing out on :eek:~!~

:shrug:

Well whatever your reason is for which school you would like to pick, I can tell you that Michigan for sure does not have a shortage of Asians. I'm not trying to be mean/racist when I say this, but if this is important to you and you feel like there are no Asians in the dental school body, I can guarantee you that you will have no problem meeting Asians on Michigan's campus and becoming friends with them. I went to Michigan for undergrad, lived in Ann Arbor all of my life, and I did have a decent number of Asian friends. Also there is a good number of Asian restaurants on campus and in the surrounding area if that is important to you.

Last edited:
Well whatever your reason is for which school you would like to pick, I can tell you that Michigan for sure does not have a shortage of Asians. I'm not trying to be mean/racist when I say this, but if this is important to you and you feel like there are no Asians in the dental school body, I can guarantee you that you will have no problem meeting Asians on Michigan's campus and becoming friends with them. I went to Michigan for undergrad, lived in Ann Arbor all of my life, and I did have a decent number of Asian friends. Also there is a good number of Asian restaurants on campus and in the surrounding area if that is important to you.

Yeah like he said. I wouldn't worry too much about the diversity in the student body. If you will miss California culture, that might be an issue.

Yeah like he said. I wouldn't worry too much about the diversity in the student body. If you will miss California culture, that might be an issue.

I've been hanging around Mid-west regions and never been to California. Is it that great place for Asians? I don't care much about diversity or cultural aspects of locations as long as I can find a decent Asian grocery store and restaurant. By the way, I wouldn't put much weight on the diversity part when choosing schools, as I realized there tends to be more fierce competition going on in schools with many Asian students. Part of the reason might be, metropolitan areas around big Asian communities are pretty saturated so many Asian folks try to get over this obstacle by specializing or going to big name schools. However, I do not have any scientific basis or what so ever for this argument.

Last edited:
I've been hanging around Mid-west regions and never been to California. Is it that great place for Asians? I don't care much about diversity or cultural aspects of locations as long as I can find a decent Asian grocery store and restaurant. By the way, I wouldn't put much weight on the diversity part when choosing schools, as I realized there tends to be more fierce competition going on in schools with many Asian students. Part of the reason might be, metropolitan areas around big Asian communities are pretty saturated so many Asian folks try to get over this obstacle by specializing or going to big name schools. However, I do not have any scientific basis or what so ever for this argument.

if you like being around asians and asian stuff, then Cali is THE place to go.

UCLA = University of Caucasians Lost Among Asians

UCB = University of California, Beijing

if you like being around asians and asian stuff, then Cali is THE place to go.

UCLA = University of Caucasians Lost Among Asians

UCB = University of California, Beijing

haha so funny, it sounds like a totally new world compared to Minnesota.:laugh:

I just had to make this decision myself and went with Penn. Both are very similar styles of schools, but heads up Penn is just better. All that said though, I am on a Navy HPSP scholly so cost wasn't an issue.

edit: That's just my opinion, and everyone is entitled to their own. Here's my reasoning...
Penn's average board scores are higher. Michigan has shuffled around their curriculum a couple times in the past few years and I was surprised that they had below the national average scores for years past. Philadelphia being the country's fifth largest city and only sharing it with one other dental school gives Penn a larger patient pool. Penn has placed more students into specialties. Penn also has slightly better "name value," but I'm in the camp that doesn't think it really means much in dentistry. Philadelphia weather > Ann Arbor weather (I'm a Michigan resident so I know quite well how brutal winters can be here). I liked that I can walk to class at Penn and since UofM's dental school is pretty much smack dab in the middle of campus, you will most likely have to bus/drive in every day. Facilities were comparable since Penn is a mix of old & new where Michigan is more middle of the road in that regard. But I will miss out on games at the Big House at Penn :(

Last edited:
I just had to make this decision myself and went with Penn. Both are very similar styles of schools, but heads up Penn is just better. All that said though, I am on a Navy HPSP scholly so cost wasn't an issue.

When you make a statement like that, you probably want to present specific details to streghten your point. It doesn't bother me, however, a lot of SDNers are sensitive around here. To me, you're going to Penn to justify your military scholarship - the more expensive school, the better off you are since you're not paying the tuition. :)

To me, you're going to Penn to justify your military scholarship
I'm from a military family and have wanted to serve in some capacity for some time now. I would have taken the scholarship either way. By your logic, I would have instantly accepted my NYU offer. Nice try though

Last edited:
I'm from a military family and have wanted to serve in some capacity for some time now. I would have taken the scholarship either way. By your logic, I would have accepted my NYU offer. Nice try though

Wow, NYU is even more expensive than Penn? :eek:

NYU is the second most expensive school, with USC being the top. I thought this was common knowledge.

Hi everybody,

thanks for all those thoughtful comments.

I've decided the school of my attending, Michigan. I was just offered a financial package with 11K grant + 12K tuition waiver, so the price gap is now even bigger ($45K almost per year) than ever. Also I wanted to tell you that the money wasn't the only thing that played a role in my decision.

Yes it's a time for a change. Out of sunny California to a harsh winter in Michigan. I am very excited to be the fellow wolverine. Go Blue !!!

Thanks again,

Penn>Michigan<USC
i know a lot of people go to Penn and they Love it! USC is expensive and few of my friends go there and they dont like PBL style, Consider that!

Hi everybody,

thanks for all those thoughtful comments.

I've decided the school of my attending, Michigan. I was just offered a financial package with 11K grant + 12K tuition waiver, so the price gap is now even bigger ($45K almost per year) than ever. Also I wanted to tell you that the money wasn't the only thing that played a role in my decision.

Yes it's a time for a change. Out of sunny California to a harsh winter in Michigan. I am very excited to be the fellow wolverine. Go Blue !!!

Thanks again,

Good choice. Too bad you will be going to Michigan though :laugh: Go bucks!

Congrats! Will you be withdrawing from Penn or did you already do so? Hoping that seat frees up!

Wow...

FYI... California (where the OP is from) is about 40% Asian and USC's class is about 40% Asian too. It's unreasonable to criticize the OP for not wanting to leave an environment where he's the majority and enter a new one across country where now he's a minority. It's apparent that his friends and life and comfort level revolves around his race. So why shouldn't he be concerned about it?

FYI... California (where the OP is from) is about 40% Asian and USC's class is about 40% Asian too. It's unreasonable to criticize the OP for not wanting to leave an environment where he's the majority and enter a new one across country where now he's a minority. It's apparent that his friends and life and comfort level revolves around his race. So why shouldn't he be concerned about it?

I don't know where you got your facts but California is only 13% Asian.

lol i dunno what person in their right mind would ever go to USC over Penn. :laugh:

He was referring to California universities, particularly the UC system where 40% are Asian.

And this thread is 10 months old. OP made his choice a long time ago lol

lol i dunno what person in their right mind would ever go to USC over Penn. :laugh:

Actually ones who are into hot Asian girls would choose USC. Lots of hotties in that dental school building.

Actually ones who are into hot Asian girls would choose USC. Lots of hotties in that dental school building.

an amazing dental school vs. some chicks? You sure got your priorities in order. :rolleyes:

I didn't say that would be my choice. What was your RC score lol?

25 :D its ok man you're one of those peeps on here that likes to offer bad advice. my job is to correct that bad/wrong advice.