USC vs. UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michhhe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been accepted into USC and UCSF (both of which are my top choices) and I'm having a really difficult time choosing. PLEASE HELP WEIGH IN!!

I am from So.Cal and here's my thoughts

USC cons: 1) tuition is high ($$$) 2) curriculum isn't that great --> professors don't really hold office hours 3) ugly Pharmacy campus

USC pros: 1) USC has a huge network of connections and I do plan on finding a job hopefully as a clinical pharmacists in So.Cal [/COLOR]so this is a big plus for me 2) it is close to home. (I've lived in So. Cal all my life and I like it here but I'm open to the idea of moving if it's worth it to me)

UCSF pros: 1) prestige 2) top pharm school in the nation and very innovative 3) beautiful campus 4) professors hold office hours and supposedly there are TAs? (I'm the type of person who really appreciates Office Hours) 5) lower tuition than USC

UCSF cons: 1) SF job/intern opportunities is few since it's saturated and I want to make connections so that I can land a job near home (in LA) 2) Far away from home so it's a big hassle for my family to come visit and for me to move my all my stuff

So my questions are:
1) Are my concerns valid? If you have anything helpful and relevant to add to my list of pros and cons up there, please post a reply!!
2) Is it true that wherever you go to school, that's where your network is and it would be harder to get a job later on near your actual home?
3) Do SF pharm students get more residencies than USC students?

Thank you! and Congrats to everyone for the pharm school admissions and good luck to everyone else who is still waiting!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I think your concerns are DEFINITELY valid. But what you need to do is weight the ones which are more important to you. Does cost take up a big percentage of your decision making, or does distance?

I honestly don't think the networking should be of concern for you. UCSF is such a well known institution, many pharmacists/pharmacy managers/professors will tell me that in terms of ranking, ranking doesn't matter. However, UCSF is so innovative, and well-respected it is the ONLY school where ranking matters. Here's a quote- "There's UCSF, then there's all the other schools, it's the only school that's distinguished in that way."

Don't forget that if you go to UCSF, you can also do summer internships, your 4th year rotations, as well as your residency in SoCal, so you'd be there for 3 years.

For me, distance is of a HUGE concern, because of my family situation. This takes up about 60% of my decision making process.

It's really up to you to prioritize what really matters in terms of what you want. Really think about what school will make you happy as an individual. That's really important, if you're miserable because you're far away from home, that's something to consider because it will affect how you do in school. Do you really like San Fran area or do you prefer LA area?

I asked about Residency questions and about 50% of people say yes, where you go to school definitely factors into residency. However, a big part of it is your GPA while you're in pharm school. It really depends on who you ask.

I hope that helps a little bit! I've been going through the same things, and it sucks how little time that schools give you to decide!:(

Congrats though! You should be SUPER PROUD OF YOURSELF EITHER WAY!!! :soexcited:

So I've been accepted into USC and UCSF (both of which are my top choices) and I'm having a really difficult time choosing. PLEASE HELP WEIGH IN!!

I am from So.Cal and here's my thoughts

USC cons: 1) tuition is high ($$$) 2) curriculum isn't that great --> professors don't really hold office hours 3) ugly Pharmacy campus

USC pros: 1) USC has a huge network of connections and I do plan on finding a job hopefully as a clinical pharmacists in So.Cal [/COLOR]so this is a big plus for me 2) it is close to home. (I've lived in So. Cal all my life and I like it here but I'm open to the idea of moving if it's worth it to me)

UCSF pros: 1) prestige 2) top pharm school in the nation and very innovative 3) beautiful campus 4) professors hold office hours and supposedly there are TAs? (I'm the type of person who really appreciates Office Hours) 5) lower tuition than USC

UCSF cons: 1) SF job/intern opportunities is few since it's saturated and I want to make connections so that I can land a job near home (in LA) 2) Far away from home so it's a big hassle for my family to come visit and for me to move my all my stuff

So my questions are:
1) Are my concerns valid? If you have anything helpful and relevant to add to my list of pros and cons up there, please post a reply!!
2) Is it true that wherever you go to school, that's where your network is and it would be harder to get a job later on near your actual home?
3) Do SF pharm students get more residencies than USC students?

Thank you! and Congrats to everyone for the pharm school admissions and good luck to everyone else who is still waiting!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my thoughts based on my own situation:

I set my mind for UCSF when I decided to go into pharmacy many years ago, and I have been working hard towards my goal-- to attend UCSF. Now that I have gone through the entire process and everything is finalized, I strangely hesitate on the decision between UCSF and USC like you do. I thought I would be firm on this, because UCSF has been my dream school for so many years. Why do I hesitate at this moment?

1).I reflected on my career goal and what the schools can offer. I am constantly told how important it is to do internship while in pharmacy school, so my mind is fixed on working during school. Pharmacy is largely about practicing in communities and with diverse patient populations, so IPPE is very important TO ME. UCSF arranges some of the IPPE sites for you, but you have to do the rest by yourself -- finding internship or volunteer. I was told, due to limited internship positions in SF, most students volunteer to get their IPPE hours filled. Even if you get a paid internship, you don't get many hours or you have to drive to somewhere outside of the city, and you don't start interning until the end of first year. Whereas USC offers MORE IPPE hours that are build into the curriculum, you get lots of hands-on experiences starting from P1, and getting an internship would be easier with USC's network. There are simply more positions in the L.A areas. Also, you don't have to relocate to complete your APPE, 4th year rotations.

2). SF and LA are very diverse, so they both offer great opportunities to interact with diverse patient groups. Diversity is very important TO ME as well. Looking at healthcare as a whole, being a pharmacist in L.A is very exciting to me, as L.A is an incredibly diverse metropolitan area with a lot more population. There are also many more hospitals (~38) and healthcare facilities in L.A, which opens many more exciting opportunities to intern/work.

3). UCSF prepares students to be excellent researchers and clinicians with very solid knowledge foundation. Clinical pharmacy was "born" in UCSF, and UCSF has some of the best pharmacy pioneers. But I believe USC also has great professors and be in the forefront of the profession. In the end, it all comes down to the individual. Outstanding students will be outstanding wherever they go. Research is not my thing, so clinically, both schools are equally good TO ME. I am interested in health policy and pharmacoeconomics, USC's Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics and Regular Sciences are very attractive TO ME, and it's ranked #4 in the nation with Princeton. USC prepares students to go in retails, community, ambulatory care, hospitals, industry, healthcare executives and business. I like how well-rounded the school is, with programs other than health sciences available. I think USC has more electives as well.

4). L.A culture fits my personalities really well. I like networking and value my social life in the SoCal way :) So consider your personalities in parallel with L.A culture and SF culture, they are very different! I don't care about weather much. Cost in both cities and schools would not be much different. There are people who choose Touro instead of UCSF for what private schools have to offer. You get what you pay! California budget cut is concerning, public schools tuition will continue rising. UCSF eliminated its SD APPE site. I don't know if it's because of the budget cut, but financial stability is KEY to operating a great program. USC's NIH funding leaped to #2 in the nation, even if it's a private school. I think UCSF still gets the most. Although ranking is not that important, it's a good reference. USC's upward trend shows a lot of its potential, so does UCSD :)

When everyone is expressing what a great experience they had at their UCSF interview and SF, I thought that was how I should feel as well, but in reality, I did not. I greatly enjoyed my conversation with current students about the program and life in SF, but I did not feel like living in SF (strangely :( USC + LA has convinced me to settle down in SoCal. San Diego and Santa Barbara are only couple hours away :love:

Just a side note: The legendary Dean Mary Anne at UCSF is stepping down in June. The Chair of Department of Clinical Pharmacy at UCSF graduated from USC. You can always do residency at UCSF.

Again, this is just my personal opinion based on my own situation and preference.

Whew, that was a lot! Hope it helps :)

In my opinion,
USC will prepare you with a guarantee job!! Yet, how long you can keep your job depending on how good you are.
UCSF will train you to be competant for any job markets!!
Reputation for both schools are good. So cheaper tuition and a chance to explore north cal are bonuses since you r from socal. Flight from sfo to lax or sna are ~100-130 round trip if you book ahead in case you want to go home :)
I would definitely choose UCSF if I have a chance !
Good luck with your acceptance!!!

experience something new. try living in sf for 4 years.

<-- grew up in sf, headed to usc

Too lazy to retype my own thoughts about this, so I will insert them in RED.

Here's my thoughts based on my own situation:

I set my mind for UCSF when I decided to go into pharmacy many years ago, and I have been working hard towards my goal-- to attend UCSF. Now that I have gone through the entire process and everything is finalized, I strangely hesitate on the decision between UCSF and USC like you do. I thought I would be firm on this, because UCSF has been my dream school for so many years. Why do I hesitate at this moment?

1).I reflected on my career goal and what the schools can offer. I am constantly told how important it is to do internship while in pharmacy school, so my mind is fixed on working during school. Pharmacy is largely about practicing in communities and with diverse patient populations, so IPPE is very important TO ME. UCSF arranges some of the IPPE sites for you, but you have to do the rest by yourself -- finding internship or volunteer. I was told, due to limited internship positions in SF, most students volunteer to get their IPPE hours filled (Not true. First, you have to separate the difference between IPPE and internships. Here, IPPEs are considered volunteer only and UCSF sets that up. Internships are for your intern hours for you to sit for your boards and most students actually do find internships and complete their hours. USC does integrate their IPPEs into their curriculum and your hours are secure for you to take the boards, but I think an important skill you gain by finding your own internships is how to interview for those companies or hospitals you want to work for in the future.). Even if you get a paid internship, you don't get many hours or you have to drive to somewhere outside of the city, and you don't start interning until the end of first year (Not true. You can start working during your first year if you so choose, but some people opt not to so they can get adjusted to the curriculum and the lifestyle of pharmacy school. Also, not all internships are in LA the city, you'd have to drive outside of LA the city and go to various cities in LA COUNTY. This is the same if you have to drive outside of SF so I don't really see a difference here.). Whereas USC offers MORE IPPE hours that are build into the curriculum, you get lots of hands-on experiences starting from P1, and getting an internship would be easier with USC's network (I cannot deny USC's network, but USC is more focused in SoCal and UCSF is definitely dominant up here in the Bay Area so ultimately it is a matter of where you want to work and live). There are simply more positions in the L.A areas (There are plenty of internships around the area and SoCal is just as saturated if not more saturated than the Bay Area). Also, you don't have to relocate to complete your APPE, 4th year rotations. (The purpose of the "relocation" is that UCSF is spreading themselves to all parts of California and even abroad to be able to practice pharmacy and try to make great changes (the concept of decentralization). This allows people to network in places they did not think possible and also gives the opportunity for people who want to go home after 3 years. About half of the class will still end up staying in SF so you don't necessarily have to move although its all based on a lottery system and not guaranteed.)

2). SF and LA are very diverse, so they both offer great opportunities to interact with diverse patient groups. Diversity is very important TO ME as well. Looking at healthcare as a whole, being a pharmacist in L.A is very exciting to me, as L.A is an incredibly diverse metropolitan area with a lot more population. There are also many more hospitals (~38) and healthcare facilities in L.A, which opens many more exciting opportunities to intern/work.

3). UCSF prepares students to be excellent researchers and clinicians with very solid knowledge foundation. Clinical pharmacy was "born" in UCSF, and UCSF has some of the best pharmacy pioneers. But I believe USC also has great professors and be in the forefront of the profession. In the end, it all comes down to the individual. Outstanding students will be outstanding wherever they go. Research is not my thing, so clinically, both schools are equally good TO ME. I am interested in health policy and pharmacoeconomics, USC's Schaeffer Center for Health Policy and Economics and Regular Sciences are very attractive TO ME, and it's ranked #4 in the nation with Princeton (I am not sure how much USC's pharmacy program actually integrates to it's health policy program, but we do have health policy and pharmacoeconomics here. Additionally, UCSF has the HSPR pathway [Health Services and Policy Research] which would potentially gear more towards your interests mentioned above.). USC prepares students to go in retails, community, ambulatory care, hospitals, industry, healthcare executives and business. I like how well-rounded the school is, with programs other than health sciences available. I think USC has more electives as well.

4). L.A culture fits my personalities really well. I like networking and value my social life in the SoCal way :) So consider your personalities in parallel with L.A culture and SF culture, they are very different! I don't care about weather much. Cost in both cities and schools would not be much different. There are people who choose Touro instead of UCSF for what private schools have to offer. You get what you pay! California budget cut is concerning, public schools tuition will continue rising. UCSF eliminated its SD APPE site. I don't know if it's because of the budget cut, but financial stability is KEY to operating a great program (UCSD's dean kicked UCSF out, not because of financial stability, but because UCSD wanted to keep it's rotation sites for itself. UCSF is working to re-establish SD APPE as a site through Scripps Health and other programs around the SD area). USC's NIH funding leaped to #2 in the nation, even if it's a private school. I think UCSF still gets the most. Although ranking is not that important, it's a good reference. USC's upward trend shows a lot of its potential, so does UCSD :)

When everyone is expressing what a great experience they had at their UCSF interview and SF, I thought that was how I should feel as well, but in reality, I did not. I greatly enjoyed my conversation with current students about the program and life in SF, but I did not feel like living in SF (strangely :( USC + LA has convinced me to settle down in SoCal. San Diego and Santa Barbara are only couple hours away :love: (Honestly it is more about personal preference on where you want to live. I am originally from SoCal and the lifestyles are different so it depends on what you want and where you want to live for the next 3/4 years. Some people will like the adventure of moving to a new city while others will want to stay at home with family and friends. San Jose area has a lot of Asian eateries and that is ~45-60 minutes away [I will say SoCal Asian food is still better...haha]. Tahoe is ~3-3.5 hours away and Reno is ~4-4.5 hours away. There is also Napa Valley for wine tasting and eateries ~1.5-2 hours away)

Just a side note: The legendary Dean Mary Anne at UCSF is stepping down in June. The Chair of Department of Clinical Pharmacy at UCSF graduated from USC. You can always do residency at UCSF. (It is sad that Mary Anne is retiring, but it has to happen to everyone someday. Dr. Guglielmo did graduate from USC, but I think he's spent more years at UCSF than he has USC now. People come from everywhere and walk all stages of life.)

Again, this is just my personal opinion based on my own situation and preference.

Whew, that was a lot! Hope it helps :)

There is a lot to be desired about both schools. I think ultimately it is a personal decision and one you should think a lot about. Good luck. :)

Too lazy to retype my own thoughts about this, so I will insert them in RED.

There is a lot to be desired about both schools. I think ultimately it is a personal decision and one you should think a lot about. Good luck. :)
Wow, thanks everyone for your helpful responses but rycetrix, your response was by far the most helpful and it really addressed my concerns on a deeper level. I still have some questions though and they are:

1) I'm still a confused as to the difference between IPPE and Internship? I know IPPEs are volunteer hours that you need to log to get the experience you need and each pharmacy school sets that up for you. BUT what do you mean by " Internships are for your intern hours for you to sit for your boards and most students actually do find internships and complete their hours. USC does integrate their IPPEs into their curriculum and your hours are secure for you to take the boards, but I think an important skill you gain by finding your own internships is how to interview for those companies or hospitals you want to work for in the future.)"

2) Don't you have to set up internships yourself at every pharmacy school?
3) Is it hard to get a paid internship at pharmacies?
4) What's the difference between having a pharmacy technician license and getting certified as a Pharmacy intern? (which I think every pharmacy school requires its P1 students to do?)
5) I am interested in being a clinician but I am still lost on the process and the factors that weigh into you getting into a residency program (such as GPA) and where people get placed?
6) How many years of volunteer experience do hospitals up in the bay area require in order to volunteer or work as a Pharm Tech?
7) Where do you recommend living? Mission Bay or Parnassus?

I will answer in BLUE this time. ^_^

Wow, thanks everyone for your helpful responses but rycetrix, your response was by far the most helpful and it really addressed my concerns on a deeper level. I still have some questions though and they are:

1) I'm still a confused as to the difference between IPPE and Internship? I know IPPEs are volunteer hours that you need to log to get the experience you need and each pharmacy school sets that up for you. BUT what do you mean by " Internships are for your intern hours for you to sit for your boards and most students actually do find internships and complete their hours. USC does integrate their IPPEs into their curriculum and your hours are secure for you to take the boards, but I think an important skill you gain by finding your own internships is how to interview for those companies or hospitals you want to work for in the future.)" Here at UCSF, we distinguish IPPE hours from intern hours. I believe the board of pharmacy requires like ~300 hours of IPPE, but here at UCSF...we actually don't follow that rule. Our IPPEs are very simple and they are only shadowing experiences to just get you an introduction to different aspects of pharmacy (they usually assign you to a place you've never worked at or volunteered at before). When you actually work for internships, that is ultimately where you get your signatures for your hours to sit for the board exam after you graduate pharmacy school. I believe it is about ~660 hours roughly that you need on your own from internships (this number has changed a lot since I was a P1, but I think this is the current number if you are in the pharmaceutical care pathway).

2) Don't you have to set up internships yourself at every pharmacy school? I believe at USC in particular, you can get by with just doing IPPEs and APPEs which will give you all your hours without you having to even look for an internship (correct me if I am wrong USC folks, but I remember a couple current USC students telling me this). The internship experience is an optional bonus for those who want to make a little money on the side.
3) Is it hard to get a paid internship at pharmacies? This question depends on you. If you are a really good interviewer and have a good resume, obviously it would be easier than those who don't. It's just like any other job. Most internships are paid, but there are a few out there that are volunteer.
4) What's the difference between having a pharmacy technician license and getting certified as a Pharmacy intern? (which I think every pharmacy school requires its P1 students to do?) Once you become a pharmacy student, you are automatically a pharmacy intern, you just need to wait for the official papers to process and you will get your little license just like you would your pharm tech license. You don't need to take any additional steps because the pharmacy school will process your application to the board of pharmacy to get your intern license. Once you get your intern license, you can work as a pharmacy intern and the pay is significantly more than a technician.
5) I am interested in being a clinician but I am still lost on the process and the factors that weigh into you getting into a residency program (such as GPA) and where people get placed? GPA isn't actually the biggest factor. *Directly from the UCSF Pharmacy Residency Director, a 3.3 GPA or higher is sufficient. The more important aspect is your letters of recommendations while you are on your APPEs. Obviously when you probably apply for residencies, things may change, but for now this is how things are.
6) How many years of volunteer experience do hospitals up in the bay area require in order to volunteer or work as a Pharm Tech? If you start pharmacy school, being a pharm tech is null/void/doesn't matter. You don't need any prior experience to work as a pharmacy intern; they will train you.
7) Where do you recommend living? Mission Bay or Parnassus? Depends on your lifestyle, people like Mission Bay because it gets more sun, the buildings are newer, the gym is much nicer than Parnassus, and is closer to downtown relatively. People who live at Parnassus generally like to just roll out of bed to go to class as all classes are held at Parnassus currently and can participate more on campus activities and don't have to rely on the shuttle to get to campus. Also, there are more food options on Parnassus side within walkable distances compared to Mission Bay. I personally live on Parnassus side and I enjoy my sleep. :)

I will answer in BLUE this time. ^_^
Thanks for being soooo helpful and answering me all my questions, rycetrix! :)

Last question (..for now): 1) Is it easy to get housing at Parnassus as a first year?

Purple now :smuggrin:

Thanks for being soooo helpful and answering me all my questions, rycetrix! :)

Last question (..for now): 1) Is it easy to get housing at Parnassus as a first year? If you put your name on the Parnassus housing list ASAP and decided to move in a little earlier than most people (June/July), your probability of getting housing is quite high. A lot of my classmates are leaving Parnassus housing now to go on rotations actually, so there are quite a few spots probably opening up now. My first year, I said to move in for June, and I got like 2 offers, but before I got those offers, I found my place on craigslist and signed a lease. But it is definitely possible.

In my opinion,
USC will prepare you with a guarantee job!! Yet, how long you can keep your job depending on how good you are.
UCSF will train you to be competant for any job markets!!
Reputation for both schools are good. So cheaper tuition and a chance to explore north cal are bonuses since you r from socal. Flight from sfo to lax or sna are ~100-130 round trip if you book ahead in case you want to go home :)
I would definitely choose UCSF if I have a chance !
Good luck with your acceptance!!!

Your competency in the job market largely depends on who you are, who you know and what you know, not necessarily which school you go to.

There are all types of students at UCSF and USC. It comes down to yourself. :)

So, where did you end up going?
I am in the same situation as you are and I wonder where you decided to go

"Your competency in the job market largely depends on who you are, who you know and what you know, not necessarily which school you go to.

There are all types of students at UCSF and USC. It comes down to yourself. " -pharmacyinlove

Whatpharmacyinlove said is the BEST advice I've seen on this thread. I'm a 2nd year at SC and I can tell you looking at the rosy side of things isn't the safest thing to do. Yes, you guys are correct that you can network a lot at SC, but please don't get the idea you will get a full time retail or inpatient job after you graduate. Look at it this way, networking gets you to the door and your interview skills, knowledge, experience, and first (or 2nd, 3rd, etc) impression will land you a job or not. A lot of big names in pharmacy are really nice in socal but the truth of the matter is that there is saturation in california, and unless you are really outstanding, then you will probably not be guaranteed a job after. Just because a school is ranked doesn't mean anything as well as the name of the hosptial or job you intern at. Inpatient job market in socal...ill make it as simple as possible; the major institutions: Keck hosptial, Good Sam, White Memorial, Huntington Memorial, Torrance Medical, a few Kaisers, City of Hope, Cedars, some SVG AMHC hospitals, and a few more in the surrounding area. Each place takes...avg 2-5 interns. If your entire class of 175-190 want inpatient, please figure out how low your chances are. I've heard way harder tougher scenarios in San Francisco, friend is also at UCSF 2nd year. She has no job. However, at USC for retail/outpatient....CVS, Kaiser, Rite Aid, and indepedents hire majority of the class. There is always a place for intern job. So...you question might be, "i want to do inpatient really badly but I can only land an oupatient/retail job?" ..Now it comes down to your institution on training you. I can tell you USC wins over UCSF ONLY in it's IV parenteral training. Ask any USC alumn and they can tell you both the horror and fortune of having IVs...a staple of inpatient pharmacy. And also, SC does a mandatory 3 week outpatient and 3 week inpatient IPPE during 1st year (But Western also does this and I'm sure SF does this also). With the office hour thing...mentioned above, very false. I hate going to office hours. I just emailed one of my professors yesterday because of a misgraded exam and what do you know..he was nice enough to email me back this morning and tell me when and where to meet him. As a first year, our calculations professor holds extra sessions on weekends. All professors have office hours if they like it or not...and as much as we don't want to see them sometimes, our curriculum forces us to have disucssion sections where we talk with a lot of faculty personally to discuss assignments/case studies. I'm sure this is also the same for UCSF. When it comes down to curriculum, both USC and UCSF are pretty darn intense. We have UCSF pharmacy residents give us lectures and hold therapeutic discussions...and the one i talked to said we are just on par with one another. If I could go back and redo all of this, I don't know which instituation to choose haha. Maybe I would look at the intern opportunities, but also find out WHAT EXACTLY each intern job entails (you might be compounding ALL DAY LONG ..but remember you're paid to do a job), find out living conditions/lifestyle (you gotta enjoy your life :), and lastly cost. I hope this was informative. I could tell you I would not have been able to give my 2 cents even 8 months ago. You find out a lot about the profession really really fast when you're in the system. Good luck!

Back to RED again:

"Your competency in the job market largely depends on who you are, who you know and what you know, not necessarily which school you go to.

There are all types of students at UCSF and USC. It comes down to yourself. " -pharmacyinlove

Whatpharmacyinlove said is the BEST advice I've seen on this thread. I'm a 2nd year at SC and I can tell you looking at the rosy side of things isn't the safest thing to do. Yes, you guys are correct that you can network a lot at SC, but please don't get the idea you will get a full time retail or inpatient job after you graduate. Look at it this way, networking gets you to the door and your interview skills, knowledge, experience, and first (or 2nd, 3rd, etc) impression will land you a job or not. A lot of big names in pharmacy are really nice in socal but the truth of the matter is that there is saturation in california, and unless you are really outstanding, then you will probably not be guaranteed a job after. Just because a school is ranked doesn't mean anything as well as the name of the hosptial or job you intern at. Inpatient job market in socal...ill make it as simple as possible; the major institutions: Keck hosptial, Good Sam, White Memorial, Huntington Memorial, Torrance Medical, a few Kaisers, City of Hope, Cedars, some SVG AMHC hospitals, and a few more in the surrounding area. Each place takes...avg 2-5 interns. If your entire class of 175-190 want inpatient, please figure out how low your chances are. I've heard way harder tougher scenarios in San Francisco, friend is also at UCSF 2nd year. She has no job (this is dependent on the person, most people actually do find jobs at UCSF so it's not a problem. The key is being persistent and applying to places outside your comfort zone and that comes with any job. Some of my classmates have held 2-3 jobs so its not like there isn't jobs, but it is also about being in the right place at the right time and presenting yourself where the employers will hire you). However, at USC for retail/outpatient....CVS, Kaiser, Rite Aid, and indepedents hire majority of the class. There is always a place for intern job. So...you question might be, "i want to do inpatient really badly but I can only land an oupatient/retail job?" ..Now it comes down to your institution on training you. I can tell you USC wins over UCSF ONLY in it's IV parenteral training (this is VERY TRUE...I think UCSF fails at teaching us IV parenteral training and we only get a short 3-4 hour session on it at most). Ask any USC alumn and they can tell you both the horror and fortune of having IVs...a staple of inpatient pharmacy. And also, SC does a mandatory 3 week outpatient and 3 week inpatient IPPE during 1st year (But Western also does this and I'm sure SF does this also [You'd be surprised, but UCSF does not do this at all and regards IPPE as a waste of time since all you are doing is shadowing (you only shadow for a total of ~16 hours). Where it makes up for it is that we have 8 rotations in the 4th year versus 6 at USC]). With the office hour thing...mentioned above, very false. I hate going to office hours. I just emailed one of my professors yesterday because of a misgraded exam and what do you know..he was nice enough to email me back this morning and tell me when and where to meet him. As a first year, our calculations professor holds extra sessions on weekends. All professors have office hours if they like it or not...and as much as we don't want to see them sometimes, our curriculum forces us to have disucssion sections where we talk with a lot of faculty personally to discuss assignments/case studies. I'm sure this is also the same for UCSF. When it comes down to curriculum, both USC and UCSF are pretty darn intense. We have UCSF pharmacy residents give us lectures and hold therapeutic discussions...and the one i talked to said we are just on par with one another. If I could go back and redo all of this, I don't know which instituation to choose haha. Maybe I would look at the intern opportunities, but also find out WHAT EXACTLY each intern job entails (you might be compounding ALL DAY LONG ..but remember you're paid to do a job), find out living conditions/lifestyle (you gotta enjoy your life :), and lastly cost. I hope this was informative. I could tell you I would not have been able to give my 2 cents even 8 months ago. You find out a lot about the profession really really fast when you're in the system. Good luck!

I agree with what a lot of what was said in this post. I think it comes down to where do you want to be and what lifestyle you want to have and also thinking about the region you want to work at after pharmacy school. Going to school in a particular region plays a part in how you get hired all the time.

I agree totally with rycetrix on a lot points. For the job portion, I might have spoken too soon about there being shortages in SF. Yes, I think there are definitely those ambitious individuals in our class who have multiple jobs, therefore those without jobs are just unlucky or not searching/applying the right way. This also can consiste of driving 1 hour away to a site and some people either don't want to put in the time or don't have a means of transportation. That is the saddest part of pharmacy and I feel the market needs to improve (maybe opening up a few more positions here and there). When it comes to 4th year rotations, I feel SF has an edge after learning that there are 8 vs 6. That just means more hands on experience/application after therapeutics, more venues to explore, and just more options in general for networking. I slightly disagree about the 1st year IPPE being unimportant. For starters, I had ZERO experience (along with a lot of other classmates) in both retail and inpatient settings coming into pharmacy school, so it was great to become acclimated, so to speak, with both settings and what really goes on in an actual pharmacy. The retail preceptors usually pressure the students to do everything from filling, typing, answering calls, ringing up customers. I know inpatient preceptors who have their students do sterility tests, basic IV bag compounding, filling pyxis, etc. These rotations also give some of us something to talk about during interviews and to be honest, during the first job I landed...the person asked about my experience at that IPPE retail setting and I had to explain to him for the majority of the interview. I think rycetrix will agree with me on this last point I just wanted to share but almost no one in pharmacy school (except for maybe a few) will know EXACTLY where they will be in 4-6 years. You can't predict your residency, you can't predict the job market, you can't be certain you will land a job in your hometown of mission viejo 2.5 years from today. It might have been the case 10 years ago, but sadly it's not the case today. Don't see it as a setback but just be open to everything and seize every opportunity you can to do what you like in pharmacy.

I agree totally with rycetrix on a lot points. For the job portion, I might have spoken too soon about there being shortages in SF. Yes, I think there are definitely those ambitious individuals in our class who have multiple jobs, therefore those without jobs are just unlucky or not searching/applying the right way. This also can consiste of driving 1 hour away to a site and some people either don't want to put in the time or don't have a means of transportation. That is the saddest part of pharmacy and I feel the market needs to improve (maybe opening up a few more positions here and there). When it comes to 4th year rotations, I feel SF has an edge after learning that there are 8 vs 6. That just means more hands on experience/application after therapeutics, more venues to explore, and just more options in general for networking. I slightly disagree about the 1st year IPPE being unimportant. For starters, I had ZERO experience (along with a lot of other classmates) in both retail and inpatient settings coming into pharmacy school, so it was great to become acclimated, so to speak, with both settings and what really goes on in an actual pharmacy. The retail preceptors usually pressure the students to do everything from filling, typing, answering calls, ringing up customers. I know inpatient preceptors who have their students do sterility tests, basic IV bag compounding, filling pyxis, etc. These rotations also give some of us something to talk about during interviews and to be honest, during the first job I landed...the person asked about my experience at that IPPE retail setting and I had to explain to him for the majority of the interview. I think rycetrix will agree with me on this last point I just wanted to share but almost no one in pharmacy school (except for maybe a few) will know EXACTLY where they will be in 4-6 years. You can't predict your residency, you can't predict the job market, you can't be certain you will land a job in your hometown of mission viejo 2.5 years from today. It might have been the case 10 years ago, but sadly it's not the case today. Don't see it as a setback but just be open to everything and seize every opportunity you can to do what you like in pharmacy.

Sorry, I didn't mean UCSF thought IPPEs was a waste of time. I personally think they are a waste of time because our IPPEs are just shadowing experiences and you don't really get to do anything that you mentioned that you get to do @ USC IPPEs. The reason is that usually hospital/retail companies have a liability policy and if they didn't hire you through their management, legally you're not allowed to touch or do much of anything. That's why you gain more experience with your internships because you are hired by the companies and you can get more hands on work/training.

Other than that, I agree with everything subandrew1 said. :thumbup:

By the way, I was told by USC current students that USC this year has established an interdisciplinary organization on the Health Sciences campus that's aiming to promote inter professional collaboration and teamwork within healthcare. I think it's pretty cool they are aware of this, as UCSF has similar projects as well :)